Dual Rec. VS Roadster...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songrider

Reaction score
Anyone else own or played both?

My Dual Rec is WAY louder than my Roadster and I was wondering if this was the norm?

Just flat out across the board the dual rec has more headroom and just walks all over the roadster when it comes to overall volume.

I had the opportunity to buy the roadster for the same price as a dual so I a/b'ed them and liked the DR better. To my ears it has more balls. I did not put them in a volume competition.

Hope this helps

cheers

Geiri

I played the roadster side by side with the dual rec and I thought they were about equally loud. The gain was more tight/articulate on the roadster plus it had better cleans. Thats why i bought it :D

Well i feel that my channel 3 and 4 are crazy loud, but channels 1 and 2 seem way to quiet in comparison. Ive had them up to say about 11 on the output and 2 or 3 on the channel volumes and then my dirty channels were set only to like 9 or 10 oclock . Thats a really big difference imo. Is this normal?

koolaid said:
Well i feel that my channel 3 and 4 are crazy loud, but channels 1 and 2 seem way to quiet in comparison. Ive had them up to say about 11 on the output and 2 or 3 on the channel volumes and then my dirty channels were set only to like 9 or 10 oclock . Thats a really big difference imo. Is this normal?

yeah...same here. but i still think the roadster is plenty loud.

Geiri said:
I had the opportunity to buy the roadster for the same price as a dual so I a/b'ed them and liked the DR better. To my ears it has more balls.

I agree. I would not call it "more balls" - I would call it more aggressive.

zeeman

think my roadster is as loud as a dual. even louder with the clean channels, ok it has a lot more headroom than a dual

Channel one on the Roadster could be a bit louder. Still I love my Roadster and picked that over a Solo head.

Ciao ...

I have a Roadster and it can get VERY loud I have never had it up past 11 on the master (even at a gig) I run the 1&2 around 1-3 o'clock and 3&4 between 9-11 o'clock. It has to do with circuits I am sure as far as the volume differences. What setting did you run it on?? I normally run on 50w so i can get some great breakup, 100w is too much in a lot of situations. Also BOLD vs SPONGY is a huge difference in headroom. Not to mention the differences between each of the modes on the channels themselves... Brit (for example) is louder than the others I think.

Dont get me wrong... it gets loud. Just not as loud as my dual rec.

Channel 3 for instance in modern mode on the roadster is gain half and the channel volume on half with the master at roughly 10:00

Compared with the Dual rec channel 2 modern mode gain half and channel volume at half the master is at roughly 8:30 and it is still louder...

On the roadster once I get the master volume to about half it tops out volume wise and then just gets more saturated...

The Dual rec on the other hand gets louder till about 3 quarters of the way up until it gets in to the backend saturation mode... and I mean it is so friggin loud at that point small animals start dying off! *L*

I was just wondering if this is normal for either amp or if one is outside the norm.

I had a stiletto trident that was more like the dual rec (as in loudness) and 2 mavericks as well that seemed incredibly loud for 30 watt amps. (although they were class A)

songrider said:

Channel 3 for instance in modern mode on the roadster is gain half and the channel volume on half with the master at roughly 10:00

Compared with the Dual rec channel 2 modern mode gain half and channel volume at half the master is at roughly 8:30 and it is still louder...

On the roadster once I get the master volume to about half it tops out volume wise and then just gets more saturated...

The Dual rec on the other hand gets louder till about 3 quarters of the way up until it gets in to the backend saturation mode... and I mean it is so friggin loud at that point small animals start dying off! *L*

I was just wondering if this is normal for either amp or if one is outside the norm.

I had a stiletto trident that was more like the dual rec (as in loudness) and 2 mavericks as well that seemed incredibly loud for 30 watt amps. (although they were class A)

You should download the Roadster manual as it says Ch 3 Modern can not compare to 4 basically (just like you said) Ch 4 picks up where 3 leaves off - its different circuits. I use the 4 for Modern... I go back and forth between Vintage and Raw on 3. Also I played a floor model at GC and compared to the one that was special ordered from Mesa the floor model didn't sound near as good - may have been older tubes.

zeeman said:
Geiri said:
I had the opportunity to buy the roadster for the same price as a dual so I a/b'ed them and liked the DR better. To my ears it has more balls.

I agree. I would not call it "more balls" - I would call it more aggressive.

zeeman

Spot on my man. Thats a better word. :lol:

isn't the roadster a dual rectifier??

RoadsterHeadonCab-FntLG.gif

Or am I missing something??

yes it is a dual rectifier... but so are ALOT of other Mesa amps... but when you say "Dual Rec." people generally know you are refering to the Mesa Boogie Dual rectifier Solo series 2 or 3 channel amps.

Just easier to say "Dual Rec." & Roadster than to type all that out each time you refer to it.

thunderkyss said:
isn't the roadster a dual rectifier??

RoadsterHeadonCab-FntLG.gif

Or am I missing something??

The roadster is a dual rectifier except with reverb and four channels instead of three. When refering the the dual rec three channel we just call it a dual rec and when refering to the roaster we call it a roadster to not cause confusion.

Did you have the loop engaged on either one? Both have different loops, so even if you did have it on and looked like it was set the same, doesnt mean it was. Dual has a parallel, roadster has a series.

songrider said:

The Roadster is a Road King II without the extras (Progressive Linkage, Cab switching, FX loop assign etc.)

Cleans from the Lonestar
Classic Fat mode
Tweed and Brit modes
Standard Recto Raw/Vintage/Modern.
Real Tube Driven (and return buffered) Spring Reverb
Standard Recto Bold/Spongy power mode
Standard Tube or Diode Rectifier

Standard Kick A$$ Amp

Dom

Latest posts

Back