Dual Rec Tech - How to reduce power by removing tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cakewalkr7 said:
How do you get it down to 20 watts? I didn't realize that the bold/spongy settings affected the output. I've played with the various switches and it didn't really seem any quieter. But, I'd love to figure out how to bring this down to 20 watts. Thanks.

Man I just searched around for about 15 minutes trying to find the reference for this, but I couldn't find it. Basically when you pull the tubes (the subject of this thread), it brings the amp to roughly 50 watts of output, assuming the amp is set to Bold and you're using the Silicon Diode rectifier. Now, those two options (bold/spongy and diode/tube) are both functions that reduce voltages to the output tubes, in turn reducing the output wattage. I think all the values I recall seeing were ballpark figures, and when you select spongy and tube rectifier, the output wattage is in the neighborhood of 20 watts. I'm pretty sure I saw that info on The Gear Page, and it was probably John Phillips that posted it. I can't access The Gear Page at work though...

You're right though, it isn't really much quieter. My band is loud as hell, and I have mine set: Spongy/Tube Rec/2 EL34's. I still cut through fine. I think the biggest volume difference you'll hear is switching from Tube rec to Silicone Diode rec.

Thanks. Is there a noticeable difference switching from 6L6s to EL34s? Mine has new 6L6s in it, but I have 4 somewhat new EL34s from my JSX laying around that I thought I might try in it. I'm really aiming for a more modern, tight, heavy sound... and so far in my JSX, the 6L6 has gotten me closer than the EL34s.

cakewalkr7 said:
Thanks. Is there a noticeable difference switching from 6L6s to EL34s? Mine has new 6L6s in it, but I have 4 somewhat new EL34s from my JSX laying around that I thought I might try in it. I'm really aiming for a more modern, tight, heavy sound... and so far in my JSX, the 6L6 has gotten me closer than the EL34s.

Yes, there is a noticable difference. As I eluded in the cabinet miking thread, my Dual Recto is running two EL-34's and two THD Yellowjackets. The 34's I'm using are EH models. They have a rounder bottom with a slightly warmer top end. All of the bite in my amp comes from the YJ's. The end result is about 70 watts, but with a highly modded vintage vibe. IMHO It's especially tasty with a combination of Greenbacks and Vintage 30's.

Latest posts

Back