Dual Rec - 6L6 or EL34 or KT77...?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
noodles said:
I'm probably the outlier here, but if you're looking to put EL-34s into a Recto to get closer to a Brit sort of sound, then play a Stiletto II in ch2/Fluid Drive instead. The preamp is still very Recto-ish in that mode, but the power section is voiced completely differently.
Dude, deciding between two different tube types doesn't warrant a new amp. :roll:

Dude, I was totally going by this:

volatileNoise said:
Thanks guys.

Dom, I have seen the vids previously, but looking at your specs has got me thinking.

I really want to get more driven tone, I don't run huge amounts of bottom end, because these amps just do not track tight enough from my experience.

My clean tones are probably the only sounds I am 95% happy with, cause you can get some nice lows and still retain a crisp tone with good clarity.

I don't want to quickly jump ship, and go shopping for a 6505+ to search for a better heavy tone, but maybe the V30 traditional cab is more my issue?

Really looking to enhance more of the lower mids with more driven tones, retain bottom end, with a tight sound that doesn't get muddy.

Thank for the feedback so far.

I made the move from Rectos to the Stiletto because two Rectos weren't really working in the band, but it addressed a lot of the weaknesses of Rectos. The amps really compliment each other well. However, the point is maybe the Recto sound isn't for him, and if he's already considering other amps, maybe he needs to look at something that isn't designed almost the same as a Recto.

Thanks guys, if my band doesn't completely fall apart, I shall someday continue my journey for tone! Outside of actual band jamming I would otherwise rarely play the amp.

I'm allways saying: Playing alone is one thing, playing in a band is totally different as the recto voice tend to get lost in the mix (metal department). An od in the front and a eq in the fx-loop help a lot and the recto voice is still there. My recto (6l6) with my bandmate marshall's (el34) give a mix quite heavy and powerfull! Must try that tung-sol in the v1 though...

I never really seem to have my sound lost in the mix, was more looking for a heavier tone, seem to have got there now.

Thanks guys.

If you want a more aggressive tone you should try the winged c el-34. The mids are godly at band volume. They do cut some bass. But IMO modern mode is too bassy & scooped anyways.

ltd2recto said:
If you want a more aggressive tone you should try the winged c el-34. The mids are godly at band volume. They do cut some bass. But IMO modern mode is too bassy & scooped anyways.

Love this tube for any amp, any type of music.

Jackie said:
ltd2recto said:

+1

So the amp sounds **** good lately having jammed with it recently. Though I noticed with the effects loop the tones were a little washy sounding compared with usual, so I have gone back to the stock chinese tube in V4, hoping that this may help!

Besides that everything does sound pretty well awesome, and I am happy with each channel, and the driven tones are more what I was looking for out of the amp.

ryjan said:
Jackie said:
ltd2recto said:

+1

+2 more.

I put KT66 on my Dual rector sound so great more middle, more thickness, more smooth then Get 6L6 & EL34 in recycle bin haha.

volatileNoise said:
Hey guys, long time since I last logged in!

My 2009 stock 3ch Dual amp head is boring me a little in the tone department as of late. I am playing in a heavier band more recently, and the tone with the SED Winged C 6L6's is not really cutting it IMO.

I would like it to have a bit more of an aggressive voice, but without thinning out the bottom end.

Never run EL34's before, but not sure about going that route, was thinking the KT77's could be the right alternative.

I know this stuff has been discussed endlessly, but on the internets there is a lot of mis-matching of opinions, so looking for those that know first hand the differences to be expected when you crank these things up!

Thoughts please?! :)

I tried many different kinds of tubes but that wasn't the answer for me. I find I want pedals and pickups for the Recto.

#// SOVTEK EL34's :
No it does not make a Rectum Frier sound like a Marshall - it just makes it a nondescript high gain amp lost in tonal limbo without a signature sound. Blah. You may as well buy [insert-any No-Name high-gain-amp here]. Yes you have hi-gain but no identity.

And IMHO if guys want a Marshall then they should just get a Marshall.

If every player in your town is using a Recto and you want to be "a bit different" then maybe. But then maybe not for metal / more aggressive. Granted some players just prefer EL34's in a Recto so YMMV.

I decided on 6L6s.

#// MESA 415 - I believe they are Sylvania tubes - they came with my Boogie Mark IIC+ :
Well I tried them in the Recto, mine is the original 2 ch 100W model. I can't remember the effect with the full quartet of bottles, but I certainly remember when I only put in 2 tubes (and removed one rectifier tube) for a "50w" thing.

I could crank it more than usual and I loved that sound, it did an awesome "vintage", "creamy", "brown sound". If I record and need this sound I know where to get it :) Actually with 4 tubes it got this sound but not as easily or as definitive.

IIRC - the cleaner cleans and high-gain sounds were pretty similar to the stock Chinese 6L6's.

#// MESA 5881s tubes :
5881's are more like 6L6's but have lower volume - good for me - and with spongy and rectifier mode I can use the Recto at home (with all 4 bottles - I was never truly comfortable using only 2 tubes...)

Anyway the 5881s have a less dominant bass and they will overdrive more easily at lower volumes but still loud enough to have the cops turn up in the practice hall (at 1AM, what was I thinking - they were pretty cool about it, "just turn down mate and you'll be right ..."

But not for metal/more aggressive. For that I can't stop thinking about EMGs.

#// BTW - TUBE SHOOT-OUT IN THE C+ :
I tried the stock Recto Chinese 6L6s, 415's and 5881s in the C+ as well as the Recto - and in the C+ I could hardly spot the difference! Made me think that amp's tone is heavily defined by the pre-amp section. I suppose at ear bleed volumes there might be a difference?

So I have locked the Mesa 415's away in cotton balls in will use them if I record with the Recto and want that awesome mid-gain sound.
The C+ is running the 6L6 tubes taken from the Recto (couldn't tell them apart from the 415's so why not).
The Recto is running 5881s - better at lower volume.
And the EL34's are eating dust.

#// BORED?
Yeah I got bored too.

I was strictly an anti-pedal must-be-100%-tube sort of guy but the Recto sorely missed reverb. I spiced up its life with a Nanoverb - it is great and works really well with the Recto. I definitely needed it for certain clean styles of play and solos.

I also found a mild overdrive pedal very good for solos to get more midrange and sustain. If Satch and Malmsteen use such pedals why can't I? Any very mild pedal with tru-bypass should be OK, you just want the sustain and mids not any tone coloring. The high gain distortion pedals can made the normally super clean Recto squeal like a pig.

Pickups? I love my Ibanez JMP with it's DiMarzio's, just plug in and you get Dream Theater tone but for metal I'm drooling over EMGs.

Erhh, if you don't have a good cabinet then that might be a good thing to think about.

Hope that helps,
Cheers.

My two cents...I put EL34L's in my Roadster, and while I agree with Dom (?) that the difference is subtle, I found I was getting more of that um...BOWP sound, the attack when you first hit the string. I dont notice the difference hugely when a chord rings out but for that instant attack the 34L's sound awesome. Of course I dont know how old the 6L6's were tho either....the 34L's were pretty much brand new...

Back