Anyone Compare the JJ 6CA7 to the EH 6CA7

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4406cuda

Reaction score
Anyone Compare the JJ 6CA7 to the EH 6CA7 in a Mark V?

I play a Mark V head in to a couple of Bogner 1x12's

I play in a cover that plays hard rock, mostly 90's hard rock. I like my tone in Channel 1, Fat and my Channel 2 Crunch sound. But, I feel channel 3 needs improvement. I am using the Mark IV mode. I have had my amp since 2009 and have tried many settings and still feel it needs improvement.

I am currently running SED Winged C's GLG's and Tungsol 12AX7's. I don't think I will like EL34's. From what I read, the 6CA7 sounds like a 6L6, with the highs rolled off a little.

I woulkd like to know if the Electro-Harmonix would be a better choice or JJ's.

I tend to be wordy.... may be long and not answer your original question.
:|

I have not compared the JJ6CA7 to the EH6CA7. I do have the JJ6CA7 and really like the tone and characteristics of all modes in CH1 and CH2. The JJ6CA7 sounds vintage/modern and not super sonic bright. Very tight bass and pronounced bass response that rivals the SED =C= 6L6GC's. However, CH3 is quite different and is more compressed with the JJ6CA7 than with the SED 6L6GC. Had similar effect with EH EL34's but those were very thin unless you really cranked the amp. The SED 6L6GC that I have are near half life or end of life since they are not as bright as they were out of the box. Bass is still there and strong as ever. I have enough preamp tubes for 3 mark V. TS, EH, Mesa, Mullard. I found the original Mesa 12ax7 tubes to sound the best with the JJ6CA7. Now that the SED's have lost some top end, they sound really good with the Mesa preamp tubes. Comparing the SED to the JJ6CA7 is the best I can do. JJ6CA7 has tighter bass than the SED6L6. You may loose a little detail in CH3 in Mark IV mode due to compression. I normally run my gain at 10:00 on CH3. SED6L6 once they begin to fade, they sound the best on CH3. I normally use full power setting, sounds best with the JJ6CA7. Not bad on variac power. :p The SED 6L6GC sound much better on Variac power 90W mode than the JJ6CA7. From what I recall reading in reviews on the EH6CA7, more headroom. The JJ6CA7 will saturate early and the onset of distortion is achievable at low to moderate volume. I love both SED 6L6 and the jj6CA7 in the Mark V Head. Would be nice to have the Road King option to switch between 6L6 and EL34 power section, having that would make the V most versatile amp.

I am considering trying the JJ KT77 or Genalex / Gold Lion KT77. The 6CA7 is the USA version of the European EL34, the KT77 is the European version of the 6CA7. Difference is EL34 use wire grids only, KT77 and 6CA7 share common structure of beam forming plates similar to 6L6. I may even get a quad of the EH 6CA7 just for kicks.

JJ6CA7 will be less compressed in triode mode for CH3. That will get you more of a defined tone, dial up on the presence and you will get crisp chunky bottom end. I like the JJ6Ca7 almost better than the SED 6L6GC. (keep in mind that I nearly have 700 hours on the SEDs and roughly 120 hours on the JJ6CA7's).

I will definitely have to try the EH6CA7.

Did you get any response on KT77, I was going to post a general question about them. Since they are both beam pentode EL34 type tubes, tone may be similar.

The 6CA7 will get darker as you put hours on them. At times I will swap in the wing C 6L6, play for a bit and want the 6CA7 back in. CH2 is a completely different animal (almost rivals CH3 with the JJ6CA7). I have yet to try the EH version. A few that have like them. The JJ6CA7 that I have seem to saturate a bit early. I would prefer the onset of distortion a bit later but not as late as the EH EL34 (I bought them though Sam Ash). I prefer to buy from places that will select tubes characteristics that best fit the amp. I am almost tempted to by some replacement SED 6L6GC, and probably the SED EL34s. Not sure yet what my plans are at the moment.

The JJ's are a bit less than the EH version. I do not have any preference at the moment on 6CA7. I got the JJ since I have not used their power tubes yet. So the JJ6CA7 is a first for me.

Back