Dual or Triple

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesD

Reaction score
First off i am sorry if this question has been asked a million times, i looked around places and couldn't find exactly the answer i was looking for. I am going to be buying a mesa boogie very very soon, I am just wondering what will work for me best. Is there a big tone difference between the 3 channel dual rectifier and the 3 channel triple rectifier? I was leaning towards getting the dual but if the triple has a better tone then i will go with that. I just didn't think i was going to be needing the 150 watts. Thank you in advance!

The extra 50 wts isn't going to make that much difference unless you play EXTREMELY LOUD (huh??)...... There's not that much difference in the sound, it's all opinion and my opinion is go with the Dual. I have a tremoverb (dual) now and don't miss the extra 50 watts of the triple... In fact, I personally like it better because it just sounds a bit warmer, but mine is also an older T-verb which would be more compared to the 2 channel dual rectifiers and people seem to say they sound warmer anyways.

Plus, there are less tubes to change out in the dual :D

let me add this to: With a Triple you probably wont ever get in to the power amp distortion, it will more than likely always be pre amp distortion - if thats what you want then the triple is what you want

The dual is probably really close but you could probably push the dual in to power tube clipping easier, but not without alot of volume.

ok thank you for that. Sounds like the dual is going to be my best bet then, i just wanted to make sure before i make my purchase. I just didnt want to lose out on tone, but if i can get warmer tone with the dual that is the way to go. Thanks! :D

And good point with the tube changes...

but if you run into my situation where you picked up a very nice triple rec for 1300, that still had a warrenty on it. You can't complain either can you :lol:

tele_jas said:
...let me add this to: With a Triple you probably wont ever get in to the power amp distortion, it will more than likely always be pre amp distortion - if thats what you want then the triple is what you want

The dual is probably really close but you could probably push the dual in to power tube clipping easier, but not without alot of volume.
Stole my thunder,

Everyone don't realize how much harmonic tones comes from the power stage tubes and you want to drive them. But with 6 power stage tubes, you would have play them really loud to get them to drive.

There is noticable difference on the bottom end. The Triple getting the nods there. And that would be before power amp clipping!

I tried these amps out for a while before buying. I noticed tone difference. As minor as it was though I figured it couldnt hurt to have a triple for the headroom.

I think if you are thinking about getting a triple rec, you should be commited to playing loud, thats what there for. :D

the correct answer is any 2ch Recto.

Or better yet, any single.

Its brighter, distorts quicker, has the best clean sound, and is just clearer all arround. Not to mention its actually just as loud as all the others.

Im going to make a seperate post to dismantle the myths about wattage when it comes to tube amps.

David.W said:
I think if you are thinking about getting a triple rec, you should be commited to playing loud, thats what there for. :D

+1 !!! I fail to understand the reasoning behind laying down the cash for a high powered concert amp and then castrating it by removing tubes and using it as a bedroom practice amp. If you need recto tone for low-vol home recording, try the Single along with a HotPlate.

The only true way to get cranked-amp tone is with a cranked amp, and it's here that the Triple (and Dual) shines. Headroom for miles and a palm-mute that feels like getting hit in the chest with a sledge hammer.

Latest posts

Back