Do you find your Mark IV to be noisy all the time?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazzith

Reaction score
I have to run 2 boss NS-2 pedals (input and effects loop) to make the amp silent when volume of the guitar is all way off.

I get a stead stream of static other wise and the static is two different types. You can hear the difference between the one through the input and after in the effects loop. When I traded for it, the guitar was noisy from the start but the guy I got it from, his other guitarist had a identical amp and has same problem with noise.

Trying to decide if I should look at replacing some of the 12ax7 preamp tubes and see if that solves the problem before letting a tech look at it.

Thanks

Check the tubes. Mine is very quiet. Are you using single coils? I have one tele that is noisy with the MKIV.

Extraneous noise is typically caused by preamp tubes, and sometimes power tubes. The first thing to do is to take a new/known good 12AX7 and swap it into each position, one position at a time - to pinpoint a noisy preamp tube.

Be aware that fluorescent lighting, computers, dimmer switches, and cycling appliances can also be the source of noise in guitar amps.

I agree. Check your pre-amp tubes. My Mark IV is extremely quiet.

I'll ordered a new 12ax7 and I'll swap it out and see what I find.

Thanks for input.

Aaron

Latest posts

Back