Mark III 12ax7 tube locations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Warner

Reaction score

Hi I sent a question to boogie but, haven’t heard back. I'm have Mark iii head and I’d like confirm the locations of the 12ax7 tubes. I understand that V1 is closest to the guitar input. Are the rest right next to each other, V1, V2, V3,V4 with V5 sitting back between V2 and V3? The heads lead channel is breaking up. I’ve order a couple of 12ax7 tubes from boogie and wanna be sure I’m replacing the right V3 tube. I’ve look all over for documentation but haven’t found anything definitive. Thx for any advice.​

Thx
-Ken

1695994062257.png

V3 circled in red

Thx brother, I really appreciate your help. That was fast. Next time I have a question I’m gonna post to the forum 😊

Welcome to the forum.

If you don’t have the manual for the amp you can download it online.

https://mesa-boogie.imgix.net/media/User Manuals/Mark III.pdf
Lots of great sample settings in there.

I owned a MKIII head many years ago, which I wish I still had. Great amp.

Dom
Thanks Dom, I do have manual and ur right on, there are a bunch of great examples to get started. Especially for me, I’m a bass player and don’t have a lot of experience using guitar amps. The Mark III (blue stripe) is a monster! I got lucky buying it from a friend years ago who needed some cash. I just got around to pulling it out of the closet!

Thx for responding
-Ken

Thanks Dom, I do have manual and ur right on, there are a bunch of great examples to get started. Especially for me, I’m a bass player and don’t have a lot of experience using guitar amps. The Mark III (blue stripe) is a monster! I got lucky buying it from a friend years ago who needed some cash. I just got around to pulling it out of the closet!

Thx for responding
-Ken

Welcome, the Mark III is a great amp (I've owned five hahaha.) Regardless of what style you're into, here's some dialin tips:

Treble = gain
Mid past noon = also gain
Bass: VERY rare that you'll want the bass past about 9 o'clock, though there's some interesting sounds to be had by giving it more bass at the front and then cutting it with the GEQ.

The pull knobs for treble and bass shift are pretty guitar-dependent, you'll probably like treble shift with an LP and not so much with a strat-style. Deep is mainly for single-coil sounds.

The GEQ is usually the key to satisfaction.

By modern standards the Mark III is a one-channel amp with lots of options. It's very hard to get multiple good tones without touching knobs. You can get a great clean and decent crunch by using the GEQ to pull bass out of your crunch, and a good crunch and high-gain lead by using Lead Volume and the GEQ to scoop one or the other a little bit (do not fear the scoop, the Mark III core tone has mids for days.)

Finally, the Mark III is a great, great studio amp, it sits in mixes beautifully and needs very little post-EQ.

Welcome, the Mark III is a great amp (I've owned five hahaha.) Regardless of what style you're into, here's some dialin tips:

Treble = gain
Mid past noon = also gain
Bass: VERY rare that you'll want the bass past about 9 o'clock, though there's some interesting sounds to be had by giving it more bass at the front and then cutting it with the GEQ.

The pull knobs for treble and bass shift are pretty guitar-dependent, you'll probably like treble shift with an LP and not so much with a strat-style. Deep is mainly for single-coil sounds.

The GEQ is usually the key to satisfaction.

By modern standards the Mark III is a one-channel amp with lots of options. It's very hard to get multiple good tones without touching knobs. You can get a great clean and decent crunch by using the GEQ to pull bass out of your crunch, and a good crunch and high-gain lead by using Lead Volume and the GEQ to scoop one or the other a little bit (do not fear the scoop, the Mark III core tone has mids for days.)

Finally, the Mark III is a great, great studio amp, it sits in mixes beautifully and needs very little post-EQ.
Yeah man, I have the GEQ in a V pattern and when ya turn the EQ on, the sound is incredible and, I just started to work with it. The amp’s hooked up to a 2x12 cab that has a Vintage 30 and a G12T-75. From what I’ve read that’s a good combo of speakers.

I have a boogie M6Carbine combo with 2 twelve speakers for my bass. That’s a great combo.

Excuse me for geekin out here but I’m glad I held on to both amps.

Attachments

• IMG_2530.jpeg
    IMG_2530.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 0
Back