Do any of you guys use a stereo set up live?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
If so.....
What do you use to split the signal?
I used to have an MXR Stereo Chorus, but gave it to a friend. Foolishly thought I wouldn't need it anymore.......

Here is my setup now:
'97 PRS CE-24 w/maple fretboard, DiMarzio Air Norton (neck), Tone Zone (bridge)
or
'02 PRS McCarty w/Duncan Alnico II pickups
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
BYOC OD-2 pedal (silicon buffers, mosfet clipping and boost)
Planet Waves tuner pedal
Mesa Heartbreaker (full Monsta-Tone Mods & HUGE Mercury Magnetics transformers)
G-Major II in the loop
Ground Control Pro to control it all.

Here is what I would like:
Same setup as above, but......
Split signal after tuner pedal
Heartbreaker combo on the right, DC-3 (Maverick, or Rivera Chubster, etc.) on the left
G-Major II in stereo into both loops

What do you guys think?

All control issues (channel switching, etc. aside), how do you guys split the input signal quietly and efficiently?
Maybe an older processor in the rack directly after the tuner?

And...finally, my pedal board is full, so I can't feasibly add another pedal without going with a larger board.....

Well....
I have an Express 5:25, DC-3, and Heartbreaker.

Just don't know what the best way to split the signal is......
It's gotta be quiet. I play in a 3 piece, so every little bit of noise just sticks out like crazy!

You can get an A/B/Y pedal and split you signal right after the tuner. Or you can get a GCX switcher and have full control over everything.

Will a GCX give you true stereo?
Does it matter?

It just seems like I am missing a lot of ping-pong delays and swirly chorus sounds by only using 1 amp with the G-Major II!
And...since we're a 3 piece, I really want to fill in all of the blanks that I can sound wise!

my live rig:

over many years i've boiled it all down to the essence of what i need to pull off everything i want to do.

it's a stripped down version of a much larger rig i used to have (think 4x12 cabs and 100 watt heads instead of 1x12 cabs and a 60 watt head)

i have (3) 1x12 cabs- (1) Avatar Vintage 1x12 closed back w/celestion Heritage G12H-55, and (2) Roland 1x12 closed back cabs, both with english celestion greenbacks.

I can run these straight and dry;
or run these as a wet/dry rig, using a hafler power amp to send a mono or stereo signal from my yamaha DG stomp to the left/right speakers, with the center speaker dry and unaffected.

pointed out towards the audience, this is a typical live setup.
i'll use the Palmer PDI-09 to capture my basic dry sound, and mic up one of the side cabs for the FX, and the FOH mixer can blend in as much of the wet as is needed.
NOBODY HEARS THE STEREO EFFECT, EXCEPT YOU, ON STAGE.

Monsta-Tone said:
Will a GCX give you true stereo?
Does it matter?

It just seems like I am missing a lot of ping-pong delays and swirly chorus sounds by only using 1 amp with the G-Major II!
And...since we're a 3 piece, I really want to fill in all of the blanks that I can sound wise!
The 2 amps make it true stereo. The switcher is just sending the one guitar to both of them. I have a G-MajorII also so I assume you are running the amp's loop sends to the left and right input of the GM and outputs of the GM back to the fx returns on the amps. The GCX has 8 relays I believe so you can run your guitar into the GCX, have a seperate tuner out, switch channel on your amps, and select either amp as well. The downside is the GCX is $400 and you'll need some sort of midi foot pedal.

The big deal with running stereo is getting separation. If you're playing on a postage stamp size stage you wouldn't hear too much of the stereo effect. Mic'ing the amps and panning the channels may help.

Noise from running stereo is primarily due to ground loops. I use an Ebtech hum eliminator to deal with this inherent problem with running stereo.

Hope this helps. - Pat.

Seeing that you have a G-Maj, I would go the ABY box route. Split the signal after your last common front end effect. If you are going to always run in stereo you can just leave the ABY box in your backline.

This is the ABY box I use when I'll mess with my Roadster and MKV together.
http://www.tonebone.com/bones-twincity.htm
Output Isolation, Ground Lift & Phase Control for $150, built like a tank.

If you still develop a ground loop through the FX Loops just lift ground from one end of one amps effect return cable.

BTW- 99% of the places I've played are mono in the FOH anyway, especially the bigger venues. The problem I had with "stereo" is that most of your audience is NOT in the "sweet spot" anyway. This is especially tricky in odd-shaped places. I found I was just lugging extra "ego" around LOL.

Dom

domct203 has a good point.

That is how I run my rig.

I use the Tonebone JX-2 after the last pedal in front and then run the outputs to the front of each amp.

I use the FXLoop for the GMajor.

All the comments on on stereo for stage are true.

At home it is a must have because it sounds so SWEET when you are in the sweet spot...I don't perform out live anymore so it is not a problem, as I do not have to carry an extra amp. But, if I did play out I would take it just in case I had a failure with one of my amps...go figure LOL.

i've never had a problem with separation.

my setup is just dirt simple, and if i spread the left/right wet speakers out further, even more spaciousness occurs.
dry cab, always gives me the clarity, and the left and right mono outs on the power amp let me dial in exactly how much 'wet' i want on stage.

i prefer the palmer with the DRY line out to FOH, and prefer the mic on the wet cab. if i got a good soundman, he typically loves being able to dial in how much effects he wants in the FOH speakers, and it makes no difference to me on stage.

the direct on the wet out doesn't sound as good.

:D Right on, you guys are awesome!!!!!
I haven't gigged out in many years, but our band is getting pretty **** good and I'm thinking that we will start soon!

So....
Are most of you guys using pedals or rack FX?

And....
I'm still kicking around the idea of either using my HB as the main tone generator and the DC as simply an extra power amp. This will eliminate the need for extra switchers and cables on the ground. I can just go into the FX Return of the DC this way.
I'm guessing that this would mean that I should use the ABY box directly after the HB's Send jack to split the signal going into the G-Major.

Still so torn on whether I should use the G-Major or just a few great pedals and a Time Factor.
I love the fact that the G switches my amp's channels, but it can't control everything and there is a slight delay when changing presets to my main solo preset. Kind of bugs the crap out of me although nobody else would notice!

Seems like it would be so much more simple to just have
-a pedal board, 2 guitars and 2 amps
vs.
-a pedal board, 2 guitars, 2 amps and a rack with lots more cabling coming out

What do you guys think?

How about this unit? http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-LEH-PSPLIT-LIST
I plan on running both amps at the same time, and using each amp's preamp sections to make it sound like 2 guitars.
Don't really want any buttons that might get accidentally pushed!

Although.....now I'm thinking it might be cool to switch between amps. Sort of like the solo in ZZ Top's Nationwide......

Damnit! Too many choices..... :lol:

Monsta-Tone said:
How about this unit? http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-LEH-PSPLIT-LIST
I plan on running both amps at the same time, and using each amp's preamp sections to make it sound like 2 guitars.
Don't really want any buttons that might get accidentally pushed!

Although.....now I'm thinking it might be cool to switch between amps. Sort of like the solo in ZZ Top's Nationwide......

Damnit! Too many choices..... :lol:

That would work fine.

IMO if you start switching between preamps it's going to complicate the stereo setup with the FX Loops and make the whole rig more complicated.

Dom

Latest posts

Back