Death Magnetic settings (RkII)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nathan28 said:
Ok guys this is a mesa forum not a metallica bash forum. I definitely think the songs on death magnetic are killer. Production and sound quality and guitar tones not so much. But for what it is it is a great album. And no matter what fanboys or haters say: This world needs metallica and metallica have made some amazing music and have sold millions of albums. so shutup everyone and go play your guitar through your mesa.

It's good someone gets it.

/ of thread.

I personally think the guitar tones on death magnetic suck.

I second that. It's like they sound fake or something :?
I dont see the Road King "achieving" any of that tone.

Yup and i also know they took there 2 C's into mesa boogie directly and had them serviced for the album and tour. To the crappy tone on the album, that probaly has to do with the producer and not so much the amps.

Klaasman said:
December issue of Guitar World has an interview with James and he says he went back to using his MKII c+ on this album.
I also saw in the videos at HQ, he was using two KRANK amps.

I'm gonna flame you in a nice way and correct that. GREAT f!@#ing article. I only read James' interview so far and it's awesome. But yeah, the mystery continues- did he even use Diezel on Death Magnetic then? I remember a pic of his rig from like last summer circulating through here with two Diezel heads in it.

what I wouldn't give to have about 2-3 days to be in the Metallica 'warehouse' and play all of the gear they have in there!!!

what a fun 'toy box' that would be!

Ya, the article was very good. I wish they had spent a little more time w. KH; his article as not near as detailed/long.

I don't know if it's still needed, but here's my setting on my Roadster:

Gain: 2 o'clock
treble: 1.30
Middle:10.30
Bass: noon
Presence: 1.30

Modern - 50w - Bold

So is anyone actually playing any songs from the new album though? My top 3 in no particular order: That Was Just Your Life, Cyanide, My Apocalypse. I'm working on My Apocalypse and the legend is true, Hetfield is way too accurate. I used to be able to play fast only downpicking, but not so much anymore. I practically got tennis elbow playing through this song!

I'm playing along with the first track. It's pretty fun to rock out to. I can't contribute much to this thread as I am a Mark IV user but I will say that I think the Mark series can get closer in tone to that sound then what the Rectifiers can. It sounds to me like they used the Diezel as a main amp and to my ears the Mark IV can get close to that scooped, liquid, tight ryhthm sound.

kingster911 said:
So is anyone actually playing any songs from the new album though? My top 3 in no particular order: That Was Just Your Life, Cyanide, My Apocalypse. I'm working on My Apocalypse and the legend is true, Hetfield is way too accurate. I used to be able to play fast only downpicking, but not so much anymore. I practically got tennis elbow playing through this song!

I've been playing "The End of the Line" recently. I love that headbanging riff in the beginning. Makes me headbang no matter how tired I am or how late it is, or where I am. Haha.

James said in that Guitar World interview that he pulled out that no-name V of his from Kill 'Em All and the IIC+ like I said, but who knows how many other things they used in the studio. I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was Diezel too. I've been using my Boss EQ pedal in my RKII and getting pretty good tones on Ch. 4 modern. I switched it to 4x6L6s and diodes but I think I'm about to go back to my usual 2ELx34s and diodes.

Yea!

His right hand is like a sewing needle up and down on the strings lol. One thing we all learn is how to play a solid up stroke after the age of 30.

To the Metallica dude with the "m" old school avatar
Yea I can appreciate having a bad day...about the panic button I was only kidding ya cause I feel that Im getting to know some of the ppl here. I was in Virgina Beach in a gift shop and had to have em. But no one has noticed them yet (soundguys or band ppl) so I had to show them here just like a musician vying for attn.

I don't know if Ill get to see Metallica, I already saw The Police, Iron Maiden and my beloved Chicago Bears this summer.

I would love to be in the same building because I do love Metallica and in a big BIG way. I love their chords.

Anyone have any links to James's rigs?

Kon

See that's gotta be a lie, although it did say "custom" TriAxis. His C+'s are probably somehow fused into the TriAxis so he tehnically can get the tone of like 4 of 'em. What kind of cabs do they use or did I miss that?

If like previous then they both use mesa tradtional recto cabs. Notice Kirk still has two recto's and his JMP-1's are gone, makes me wonder if he is going to use the recto's for rythem and the randalls for leads!

kingster911 said:
See that's gotta be a lie, although it did say "custom" TriAxis. His C+'s are probably somehow fused into the TriAxis so he tehnically can get the tone of like 4 of 'em. What kind of cabs do they use or did I miss that?

Hetfield has used Diezels for years. That was his main amp on "death magnetic" but im sure they blended a few. I wish he would switch back to mesa i personally find diezel a little solid stateish for my tastes

konstantine RK said:
I think it's the record they should have produced instead of that POS "And Justice for all".

Actually Cliff was their best songwriter, I am very excited for Metallica because HEtfield was always someone I patterned my playing and singing after. And...Hetfield has one of the best picking hands in the biz (and I dont mean boogers).
These seem like two completely conflicting opinons. So, you love Hetfield's playing, but you hated AJFA? AJFA was one of his best performances to date, and his playing was imo on par if not better than 'Puppets. For what it's worth AJFA is one of my favorite albums ever, Metallica or not. Sorry for the hijack, carry on as necessary. :lol:

Carrying on: I've been inspired to start looking for a guitar like one of those guys from that one band Metallica with some of those EMG's set up like they have. But seriously, I've been apprehensive toward the EMG pickups because of relying on the 9-volt for the tone, but I'd like to have a bite like they do through my RKII and yes, to play THEIR songs. Or at least "My Apocalypse" until 2009.

For those who think the mix sucks on the album (and it does, the levels have all been compressed and the volume has been boosted) do yourself a favour and download the Guitar Hero III rip of the album. Just look at the difference in these waveforms, the GH version is like a completely different album.

GH The Day that never comes:

gh3tdtnc.jpg

CD The Day that never comes:

leaktdtnc.jpg

Latest posts

Back