Current production STR 440 tubes opinions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK IIB

Reaction score
Hi folks.
I'm just wondering if anyone here uses the current production Mesa STR 440 tubes in their Mark series amps and if so what the general opinions are?
I know NOS were made to last a lot longer but is there really a huge difference in sound etc?
I was speaking with my amp tech as my Mark II is having work done and will need new tubes and I was thinking of going NOS but he swears by the 440's.
He builds quality point to point cutom made amps too and he uses the Mesa tubes in his own 6L6 amps.He said in 8 years or so he could count in one hand the amount of problems he has encountered.
What should I do?What will get me the best results from my Mark IIB?
I actually still have the original Sylvania 6L6's but sadly I think they have served their time :(
20140805_222522_1.jpg

screamingdaisy, I have no idea who you are in real life, but I have to say, every time I see that you have posted or commented on a post, I look forward to reading it with a lot of happiness.

-Daniel

screamingdaisy said:
The STR 440s are a good tube. Chinese made.
That last part is what's putting me off.I know that shouldn't really be a factor but it is.I know Mesa also put them through a rigorous testing process.
I'm running them just now in my SOB combo but was wondering if there was something better I should get for the mark II.
I really just wanted to hear if there are many here who use them?
Thanks folks.

Chinese made! Is there are noticeable price difference on these, or is that not how it works?
I'm up for a new pair for the mkV, and llc, very much interested in this post.
Btw, big mess of flower petals in the yard after my daughter was playing, made me think screamingdaisy? Once were daisies now there are none, had to laugh! Keep playing and spending too much time on the internet, I agree, your post's are a highlight.

MK IIB said:
screamingdaisy said:
The STR 440s are a good tube. Chinese made.
That last part is what's putting me off.I know that shouldn't really be a factor but it is.I know Mesa also put them through a rigorous testing process.
I'm running them just now in my SOB combo but was wondering if there was something better I should get for the mark II.
I really just wanted to hear if there are many here who use them?
Thanks folks.

The Chinese seem to be making a better 6L6 than the Russian's these days and I've never once heard anyone rave over JJ's 6L6. SED Winged =C= (Mesa STR-454) were popular for a long time, but SED priced themselves out of the market these days (you can buy NOS for less than SED wants).

Lots of people do like Sovtek (Mesa STR-420 and 430), and Mesa was using them for years prior to switching to Chinese manufacturing, so if you're hung up on the whole Chinese thing just buy some of those and call it a day.

From what I've gathered reading other threads here over the years most are content with the 440s, including several who experimented with other current production tubes. I know I like them.

Although NOS Sylvania's would be ideal, last I checked it'd cost me $600+ for a matching set vs the $100 I'll pay for the 440s.

screamingdaisy said:
Although NOS Sylvania's would be ideal, last I checked it'd cost me $600+ for a matching set..............

You've been shopping in the wrong place if a set of Sylvania's are going for $600!
STR 415's might bring $200 for a NOS pair but I doubt $300 never mind $600!

As for the 440's. They work ok.
I prefer Sylvania 6L6's, SED Winged =C='s, or the older 420's and 430's in that order.
The thing about Sylvanias (as much as tone) is they are a rugged tube that will last a looooong time. Pretty sure they had a 10,000 hour rating.
Even old used ones are still going strong. That's why they sell when they come up here and /or one ebay etc...

gts said:
screamingdaisy said:
Although NOS Sylvania's would be ideal, last I checked it'd cost me $600+ for a matching set..............

You've been shopping in the wrong place if a set of Sylvania's are going for $600!
I took it to be at least a quad,but yeah still a bit on the high side compared to prices I've seen too.
As for the 440's. They work ok.

The thing about Sylvanias (as much as tone) is they are a rugged tube that will last a looooong time. Pretty sure they had a 10,000 hour rating.
Even old used ones are still going strong. That's why they sell when they come up here and /or one ebay etc...
I actually should get mine tested on a tube tester and see what the results show.I haven't been able to hear them yet but I do know that they were gigged just about every night for about 6 years :)
The 415's don't seem to come up often if at all here in the UK.

str420 was actually a Shuguang 5881/6L6GC/6L6GCR tube. str 430 was Sovtek 6L6WXT+. str440 is Ruby 6L6GCM-STR (Shuguang)

gts said:

By "set" I meant a full quad, and quite honestly I ballpareked the number. I thought I remembered Mesa jacking the price of new 415s to well over $200/pair a couple years ago but my memory could be wrong about this.

Try the new production Tung-Sols for 6L6's they are pretty good. I started testing those out for when my supply of SED =C= runs out.

thunda1216 said:
str420 was actually a Shuguang 5881/6L6GC/6L6GCR tube. str 430 was Sovtek 6L6WXT+. str440 is Ruby 6L6GCM-STR (Shuguang)

i agree str 420 are shugwang 6l6 GCR

anyway, comparing JJ and Sed is quite strange as i can't stand any JJ tubes tone !

best reissue russian 6l6gc are tung sol , still down in quality and tone to the sed!

the shugwang 6l6 gcr have great tone , but unreliable and hrad to find

at the end of the day, are you really going to be able to turn up loud enough to achieve power tube breakup/saturation? most any 6L6 type will suffice. that said, the main consideration will be longevity. the sovtek tubes are nice, but I seem to get more life out of the Chinese tubes. LMMV. Play some for a while. A long while. Then post back here ( in a couple of years ) with your observations.

I'll add my 2 cents....

The 440's are ok. Kind of neutral in sound. I use them in my Strategy 400. I have always liked the 430's. To me they are a little brighter than the 440's and have more depth. The 420's are okay as well, kinda dark, but in a good way. I have some TAD's in my 2C+ and really like them. They have nice lunch and pop. With all of that said, I still prefer the 415's.

Back