Could You Tell Me Where You Set Your Master and Output?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilgrimx

Reaction score
I recently sold my LSC. A friend of mine just bought his and while inquiring about my tone settings, he told me that his master was set at 12:00 and his output at 3:00! Yes, O'clock! Isn't that way too loud? If I had set my LSC at those volumes it would've shattered the walls... His is a 1x12, and mine was the 2x12, but I played with only one of my speakers for months and never set my master or output above 10:00.
So, if you would, tell me where you keep your master volume and output volume. I'm thinking something must be wrong with his amp.

Mine are both set at 12:00 and I use a vol pedal. So I rarely hit full vol in a band situation. That's on 50w setting, so yes, that's loud.

pilgrimx said:
I recently sold my LSC. A friend of mine just bought his and while inquiring about my tone settings, he told me that his master was set at 12:00 and his output at 3:00! Yes, O'clock! Isn't that way too loud? If I had set my LSC at those volumes it would've shattered the walls... His is a 1x12, and mine was the 2x12, but I played with only one of my speakers for months and never set my master or output above 10:00.
So, if you would, tell me where you keep your master volume and output volume. I'm thinking something must be wrong with his amp.

Well, I used to run my channel 1 master around 11:00 and the amp's output near 10:00, but last week I discovered tone nirvana with the channel 1 master dimed, channel 2 master at 2:00, and the output closer to 9:00. I haven't done a gig yet with these settings, but I downloaded an iPhone app called "decible" to try and gauge how loud I have to be to get THE tone. I'll use the app to find out how loud I am onstage at the end of the next gig, and unless I'm over-simplifying things, that'll tell me how loud I have to turn my amp up at home when I'm trying to dial in better tones.

If it helps, I had my LSC turned up to 100 db at home... but not for long :)

HTH

Yeah, I'm thinking something is wrong. Any ideas as to what that might be? He says that both channels have the masters that high... I don't know.

I find that my LSS does not keep getting louder (certainly not linearly) as you keep turning it up.

More importantly the higher you go with those volume nobs the better its sounds.

Channel 1 becomes that current classic modern blues tone eg Matt Scofield (really bouncy and alive) and Channel 2 losses much of the mud. I have tried master at 3 and volume at 11 and vica versa. Different tones superior to low volume settings.

I also use a volume pedal and have the solo function disengaged as for mine it compromises the non solo tone. Even though with the volume peddle up you have a low overdriven sound on the clean channel with humbuckers, it is a great solo town. Bring the volume down on the pedal or guitar and it is clean.

I also use 15 watt for Channel 2 simply because I want to have volume and master up as high as I can. I do not use this amp at home it is just not a bedroom amp. I dont think any valve amp with a 12 inch speaker is.

My conclusion is your mate is on the money, go give his amp a try (but not in a bedroom unless his name is Angus)

plan-x said:
Mine are both set at 12:00 and I use a vol pedal. So I rarely hit full vol in a band situation. That's on 50w setting, so yes, that's loud.
Correction...my master is at 2:00-2:30 and output is 12:00 @ 50w. And that is just about right in my 3 piece band with a rockin' drummer and bass player pumping 350w thru an 18" + 2x8 enclosure. We are pretty loud. I'm also running thru my combo plus 2 ext cabs.
I see people talkin LSS, the LSS probably isn't as loud as the LSC and the OP was talkin LSC. I suppose the LSS is stupid loud also at those levels.

Just a thought...a possibility...

If the guy using those really high settings on the Lone Star output control...is a 'newbie' to the Lone Star...he may not have read yet...that the effects loop volume has an effect on the overall tone AND volume. The optimal setting for this control seems for most folks to lie in the 12:00 to 1:00 range.

Check his setting...and if he's not in this range...adjust and have him give it a try!

Charles

Latest posts

Back