Considering a Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flimz

Reaction score
Hey All!
Its been quite a while since Ive visited this forum. Ive owned a few Rectos in the past and loved them. Im thinking about coming back to the Mesa camp with a Mark V. I just want a general opinion on the reliability of the amp. I never had issues, other than tubes, with my other Mesas.
It seems the Mark V is a very complex amp when it comes to servicing. Is it plagued with issues? I know its a forum, and a lot of people only post when they have a problem. Anything specific I should be aware of?
Thanks!

flimz said:
Hey All!
Its been quite a while since Ive visited this forum. Ive owned a few Rectos in the past and loved them. Im thinking about coming back to the Mesa camp with a Mark V. I just want a general opinion on the reliability of the amp. I never had issues, other than tubes, with my other Mesas.
It seems the Mark V is a very complex amp when it comes to servicing. Is it plagued with issues? I know its a forum, and a lot of people only post when they have a problem. Anything specific I should be aware of?
Thanks!

NO problems in over 1 1/2 years of gigging. Great amp!

Normal tube issues seen with all amps....

and the only common complaint is the foot pedal cable being of poor design, causing some crackle. (easy fix tho)

Other than that...probably one of the best value on the market in my opinion.

I hope you've already picked up your Mark V and still not considering picking it up!
Its a no brainer man...its so versatile ...as long as you treat them right (on the road or at the studio) and it hasn't given me any problems in 1.5 years. A few bad tubes here and there is all you'll come across in the near future.

Almost a year and I'm still discovering new tones...very versatile!

Once you have a MV, other dudes who don't have one will always look at yours and think to themselves "I guess my Fender Hot Rod Deville ain't gonna cut it"...I'm of the opinion that if your dropping over 2k on an amp it better be reliable. I've had mine for 1 year and I must say ever time I play my rig it puts a huge smile on my face. It makes you feel like you have a bigger penis. Plus your guitar sounds like sex... sweet, sweaty and screamy...

The real question here is, why don't you have a mark five...

Now some guys like to flip heads and play different things. I chose the V to chase my sound. If i can't find "my" sound in an amp I don't want it. I can hear what sounds right in my head and the Mark V is the only amp I've ever heard/used that I can pull the sounds from my skull and make them very loud for the world to hear. mixed with my pedal board I can create some wild ****! I love the sound of the 6l6's. That's my tube sound and I feel the Mark is the best platform for that tube. I have used el34 amps but not in my Mark yet. I think when I change tubes I'll try them but I have a feeling those 6l6's will be back. (Cleans with my Jazzmaster can cut glass!)

Trust your ears. but if your ears have taste. they'll pick a Boogie.

I played my first Mark V at GC the other day. I was looking into backup amps for my LSC and the sales kid took me into the sound proof room in the back to crank up some Mesa's. I didn't play for hours, but I got a good sense that if you want to find a tone, it's in one of the 3 channels so long as you dial it in. The foot switch was a bit intimidating, but it makes sense why you need a monster switch like that. Now my debate is, spend $1,000 on a mini-rec as a backup; or just pony up a little more because I'm already halfway to a Mark V. If you got the money, get it.

Khorah.pds said:
Once you have a MV, other dudes who don't have one will always look at yours and think to themselves "I guess my Fender Hot Rod Deville ain't gonna cut it"...I'm of the opinion that if your dropping over 2k on an amp it better be reliable. I've had mine for 1 year and I must say ever time I play my rig it puts a huge smile on my face. It makes you feel like you have a bigger penis. Plus your guitar sounds like sex... sweet, sweaty and screamy...

The real question here is, why don't you have a mark five...

Now some guys like to flip heads and play different things. I chose the V to chase my sound. If i can't find "my" sound in an amp I don't want it. I can hear what sounds right in my head and the Mark V is the only amp I've ever heard/used that I can pull the sounds from my skull and make them very loud for the world to hear. mixed with my pedal board I can create some wild sh!t! I love the sound of the 6l6's. That's my tube sound and I feel the Mark is the best platform for that tube. I have used el34 amps but not in my Mark yet. I think when I change tubes I'll try them but I have a feeling those 6l6's will be back. (Cleans with my Jazzmaster can cut glass!)

Trust your ears. but if your ears have taste. they'll pick a Boogie.

Ive been chasing my sound for quite a while, and quite a few dollars later. I figure if I cant find my sound in the Mark V, then Im nuts haha! Just from tinkering around in the store, I am confident that my tone is in there!

Any Mark series amp is just so awesome it's unreal. Go ahead and buy one already and give us an update!

Got my Mark V today! Im diving in and digging what Im getting already. I found a nice balance btw the crunch and extreme modes. I roll off a bit of presence to get it nice and smooth. I also like the compact size of the amp. Having lots of fun so far!! :mrgreen:

You should be writing their manuals!

MesaGod666 said:
I've got one of my Mark V's for sale of eBay.

Here's a link.

FWIW, It's definitely my favorite Mesa amp (I own two others) and it comes with an ATA case.
I've been watching that one.
Unfortunately, I think that both amps are a little bit out of my reach for the near future. I need to have a massive gear sale!
I have tons of pedals, pickups, etc. that I need to get rid of to raise money for one.
Still on the fence between the Mark V and a Roadster too, so that really doesn't help!

Latest posts

Back