Complete newb question. What is a recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yohimbe2

Reaction score
OK, don't laugh. I see a lot of talk about recto this, double recto that etc...etc.. It's probably time I ask what the hell it is.

I just purchased a Rectoverb 2, so my guess is that my amp has some of this "recto" thing everyone mentions.

Can someone please fill me in as to what a recto is?

Recto refers to rectifier, or rectifying - it is the process of taking AC voltage (wall outlet) to high voltage DC for the tubes in the amp.

The "double" rectifier technically refers to having both a tube rectifier and a solid state (semiconductor) diode in the power (not power amp) section of the amplifier.

The terms "Single, Double, Triple" rectifier in relation to the Boogies has taken on a double meaning - how many switchable channels there are in the amplifier, along with having both tube and diode rectification in the power section...

Anyone else want to add to that?

Hope that helps!

The "double" rectifier technically refers to having both a tube rectifier and a solid state (semiconductor) diode in the power (not power amp) section of the amplifier. [/quote]

What is the difference having a tube rectifier OR a solid state ?
How they affect the sound ?

18&Life said:
... said:
The "double" rectifier technically refers to having both a tube rectifier and a solid state (semiconductor) diode in the power (not power amp) section of the amplifier.

What is the difference having a tube rectifier OR a solid state ?
How they affect the sound ?
eh eh i asked someone about this some months ago :)
solid sate rectification (through silicon diodes) is more "ideally-working" and you notice a tighter tone. Tube rectifier isn't working so ideally, and it will give more "sag" to your tone.

in relation to boogies, single rectifier means it only has one rectifier, (silicon) dual rectifier means it has two (silicon and tubes), triple rectifier is a little different as it refers to not the number of rectifiers perse (it has two, silicon and tubes) but the number of rectifier TUBES present in the amp (it has three verses two in the dual).

as far as sound goes, the silicon diodes are capable of providing all the DC current your amplifier needs on a dime. so when you start slamming power cords, your amp responds instantly. tubes however dont work quite so well. when they are stressed (i.e. you bashing powerchords with the volume cranked) they cant provide all the power your amp needs right away. so they lend a "sag" to your amp. now in terms you may be more likely to understand tone wise, sag means it will have a kind of "brown" too much gain sort of sound, similar to what eddie van halen achieved with his marshalls. you'll also notice the tone will fatten up, and the bottom end wont be as tight.

as far as practical use, for me personally it goes something like this. at lower volumes, I will use the tube rectifiers as they lend a more "cranked" sound at lower volumes. at high volumes I use the diodes, because the power tube compression and the stress on the speaker are giving me the cranked sound I am looking for, and having my rectifier tubes sagging is a little overly cranked sounding for my taste.

Are all of the mesa amps Recto's than? Great explanations, but I'm still a bit confused.

Schmoog said:
in relation to boogies, single rectifier means it only has one rectifier, (silicon) dual rectifier means it has two (silicon and tubes), triple rectifier is a little different as it refers to not the number of rectifiers perse (it has two, silicon and tubes) but the number of rectifier TUBES present in the amp (it has three verses two in the dual).

as far as sound goes, the silicon diodes are capable of providing all the DC current your amplifier needs on a dime. so when you start slamming power cords, your amp responds instantly. tubes however dont work quite so well. when they are stressed (i.e. you bashing powerchords with the volume cranked) they cant provide all the power your amp needs right away. so they lend a "sag" to your amp. now in terms you may be more likely to understand tone wise, sag means it will have a kind of "brown" too much gain sort of sound, similar to what eddie van halen achieved with his marshalls. you'll also notice the tone will fatten up, and the bottom end wont be as tight.

as far as practical use, for me personally it goes something like this. at lower volumes, I will use the tube rectifiers as they lend a more "cranked" sound at lower volumes. at high volumes I use the diodes, because the power tube compression and the stress on the speaker are giving me the cranked sound I am looking for, and having my rectifier tubes sagging is a little overly cranked sounding for my taste.

Thanks, I've noticed that my Rectoverb sounds pretty good at lower volumes. This is very useful for me, and I was hoping this was the case.

yohimbe2 said:
Are all of the mesa amps Recto's than? Great explanations, but I'm still a bit confused.

No, not all Mesa's are Recto's.
Read through there site. There is a ton of very useful info on there.

mesa boogie has two flagship models: the mark series of amps, which are what mesa boogie was made famous with (used by santana, metallica, dream theater, chevelle, lamb of god, etc) and the rectifiers, which became famous in the early 90's (used by many modern bands such as linkin park, godsmack, nickelback, incubus, etc). the other models of amps mesa boogie has made have not been as revolutionary, even though they are still great amps compared to most things manufacturers put out.

the mark amps tone:
-very tight (ie metallica speed metal riffing)
-great cleans
-very smooth lead tone (carlos santana)
-lot of gain

the rectifiers are famous for:
-deep thick chunky growl
-lots and lots of gain
-not as tight (not good for fast riffs)
-average cleans (although recent rectifiers feature outstanding cleans)
-average lead tone (however, the very old models are very smooth)

when you get the tubes involved in a rectifier, the tone becomes thick and chewy and creamy, kind of like vintage amps would sound when you'd crank them really loud. when you put the silicon diodes, the tone becomes a lot tighter and less creamy. this would be the preferred setting for playing some faster riffs on a rectifier. the bold and spongy settings have the same effects.

does that clear things up a little?

Elpelotero said:
mesa boogie has two flagship models: the mark series of amps, which are what mesa boogie was made famous with (used by santana, metallica, dream theater, chevelle, lamb of god, etc) and the rectifiers, which became famous in the early 90's (used by many modern bands such as linkin park, godsmack, nickelback, incubus, etc). the other models of amps mesa boogie has made have not been as revolutionary, even though they are still great amps compared to most things manufacturers put out.

the mark amps tone:
-very tight (ie metallica speed metal riffing)
-great cleans
-very smooth lead tone (carlos santana)
-lot of gain

the rectifiers are famous for:
-deep thick chunky growl
-lots and lots of gain
-not as tight (not good for fast riffs)
-average cleans (although recent rectifiers feature outstanding cleans)
-average lead tone (however, the very old models are very smooth)

when you get the tubes involved in a rectifier, the tone becomes thick and chewy and creamy, kind of like vintage amps would sound when you'd crank them really loud. when you put the silicon diodes, the tone becomes a lot tighter and less creamy. this would be the preferred setting for playing some faster riffs on a rectifier. the bold and spongy settings have the same effects.

does that clear things up a little?

Crystal clear. Thanks for the great explanation. For example, a lone star is NOT a recto.

Thanks.

Single = One Rectifier, 50 Watts, Two Power Tubes!
Dual = Two Rectifier Tubes, 100 Watts, Four Power Tubes!
Triple = Three Rectifier Tubes, 150 Watts, Six Power Tubes!

jbird said:
Single = One Rectifier, 50 Watts, Two Power Tubes!
Dual = Two Rectifier Tubes, 100 Watts, Four Power Tubes!
Triple = Three Rectifier Tubes, 150 Watts, Six Power Tubes!

Ahh...It's all coming together now. Thanks!

yohimbe2 said:
Crystal clear. Thanks for the great explanation. For example, a lone star is NOT a recto.

Thanks.
when we talk about recto we're immediately thinking about tons of gain and brutal power, but if i'm not wrong even the lone star can have both silicon diodes and tube rectification! so in a certain way it's a recto even if it doesn't belong to the "official" recto family! :wink:

Latest posts

Back