Changing from express 5:50 to mini rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looder

Reaction score
Hey, I bought the express 5:50 few months ago from the store.
To be honest, it wasn't my usual routine of buying gear
cause I usually learn a lot about it, read reviews, listen to youtube clips etc.
But I ended up buying it without checking any other amp (Was intending to buy Carvin V3M, glad I didn't).

The thing is, I play metal.
Metal with cleans, but metal, which the express is kinda lacking of the ability to provide.
(Opeth, Steven Wilson, In Flames, Lamb of God, Gojira, Dream Theater, etc..)

I came a cross a sale in which I can buy a mini rectifier and the matching 1x12 cabinet (Straight or Slant)
For the same price I can sell my 5:50 so no money lost.
I was wondering, does anyone here had an express and change to rectifier?
or got any recommendation on what should I to?

I don't want to buy another amp and get disappointed hehe
(Just to be clear, the cleans on the express are great, and the dist with the graphic EQ can be decent but not metal enough. I do add a dist pedal which sounds ok, but yet again, not exactly what I was looking for)

tl;dr
Got a 5:50 without checking too much, disappointed from its lack of capability to provide metal sound,
Thinking of buying a mini rec instead.

I bought the 5:50 Express before I bought a Rectoverb 50. Although the 5:50 Express is a great amp, the distortion channels lack the depth and tightness of the rectifiers. I didn't want to buy pedals for a sound that I felt should be produced by the amp itself. I still have my Express. The mini rectifier is also a great sounding amp for metal. You should be pleased. I've heard several demos, but I had already bought the Rectoverb. I gave 700 for my Rectoverb 50 used. It is also great for metal, although when I get the volume up to where it is really starts sounding good, my neighbors start bitching. :roll:

Well I wanted to update that I did the swap!
This mini recto is one goddamn beast!
Real happy with the dist sound on this one..
So I guess overall it was a good call!

Latest posts

Back