Breaking In New Stiletto Ace Speakers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am due to receive my Stiletto Ace 2x12 in a couple of weeks from Mesa and am wondering about breaking in the speakers. My experience with my Rectifier Standard 4x12 was that the tone was much improved after the speakers were broken in. I found the following on Celestion's website reference this:

"How do I break in my speakers?

Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time."

Obviously, this is generic advice from the point of view of the speaker maker, not the amp maker. My questions are: 1) Would this be safe to do with the Ace?; 2) Is it worth doing?

Thanks.

Yes it's safe to do, and the improvement will be broken in speakers, the overall tonality and feel will change a bit after they're broken in so expect to change in your settings accordingly.

As an Ace 2x12 owner, I would definitely say that it's a different amp with the speakers broken in

onelastrun2002 said:
...I found the following on Celestion's website reference this:
"How do I break in my speakers?

I've never gone through an "official" speaker break-in process but this is good to know information; thanks for passing it along.

My Ace head and Recto 2x12 cab continues to blow me away every single day and I hope you enjoy your new combo. Frankly I couldn't wait when I got mine last month and first off tried the two quick start settings in the manual. If those were the only two settings I ever got out of the rig I'd find it hard to complain, but there is so much more to explore. Download and read the manual if you have not already.

Thanks again and enjoy!

I think that they should sell the Ace's with the speakers pre-broken in....It really makes a difference in the feel of the amp

Latest posts

Back