Boogie EQ pedal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mule#1

Reaction score
I spoke to mesa a couple weeks ago and they still have EQ's and sliders. I was wondering if I bought one and put it through the loop if it would sound the same as hard wired? What if I put it in my pedal board with a true bypass. It scares me to think like Eddie Van Halen :lol: I dont really need it but would be a cool option!

Did they say how much it would cost? I am going to build one but if the price is right I'll buy it from them.

I'm using a Boss GE7 graphic pedal in my FX loop, and it sounds fine! Using a looper with remote footswitch (Champion Pedals) so I can turn it off and on without long leads compromising the sound. It's like having another channel on my Studio 22.

Mesa has the sliders, but you would need a bunch of other components and schematic to build the EQ board. Far from impossible, but maybe not as cheap or as easy as just buying an EQ pedal. Would be a cool project though.

scott

I have a schematic. The sliders and tips are the components I've had a hard time tracking though, so if I could get those from them it would be great.

The EQ is actually a relatively easy build from the look of it, however it won't be quite the same because of the switching mechanism and the power supply. The more I dig into it the more I think I should just keep using my GE-7 with the sniper mod.

Power is the biggest problem. The onboard EQ needs 40v or something massive for a pedal. Ultimately it's more cost effective to get a bitchin' outboard EQ and use it.

Yes, in my opinion, the high voltage (40-50V) is the key to the Boogie EQ. You'll need to put a lot of 9V batteries in series to get that kind of voltage in a pedal if you're going to try to implement the Boogie EQ circuit.

Also, because the design for the Boogie EQ is so old, it also uses real inductors and discrete transistors. The boogie EQ is weird and I don't think that anyone would build it that way today. It's not a bad design (no, it sounds quite good to me, in fact), it's just weird by today's standards.

A more modern design (like used common EQ pedals) would utilize op-amps and would probably not use inductors. Op-Amps and Inductor-less design is not necessarily inferior...in fact, they are usually much more consistent and repeatable from unit to unit (and in achieving the designer's desired center frequencies). The down-side of op-amps and inductor-less is that it might not sound, feel, or behave exactly the same as the boogie EQ. Notice the gigantic drop in mids in moving the 750Hz slider that last 1/4" from above the bottom to actually at the bottom? That's weird, and distinctly boogie. A modern design wouldn't necessarily do that.

Anyway, good luck with your EQ search. Simply buying an EQ pedal from the guitar store is probably the easiest approach. A rack EQ will have better quality, but then you've got to carry around a rack. Or you could trade your Boogie for one with the built-in EQ. Tough choices.

Chip

Mike B. specifically recommended the Presonus EQ3B, to run through the loop.

He told me it was the closest to the real thing.

All good replies and I thank you all. Seems I was a little crazy in my thinking but it was just a thought. I actually really enjoy the amp without the EQ so no big deal. Hey maybe I'll buy another IIC+ with EQ and an export transformer to go with all my Gibson's!

Latest posts

Back