Blown Speaker in Lonestar Classic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSCMan

Reaction score
Was playing along trying to determine why my amp sounded like it was ghosting since I got it back from the repair shop when the sound just quit altogether. Hooked up to a EV15 and sounded good, so I guess the Black Shadow is history.
What's a good replacement, and who puts a 90 watt speaker in a hundred watt amp in the first place? :?

Sorry to hear about your speaker. :( You're sure it's the speaker and not the connection? Any other troubleshooting done?

If you're going to switch, there are lots of threads around here about speaker options... BobL convinced me that the 50w Weber Blue Dog Ceramic was the way to go, so I took him up on it and I've been very happy. Since then, however, he's switched to the Weber California Ceramic, and that seems to be where he stopped. (He breaks down several speakers rather thoroughly here.)

Maybe you know this already... but you don't need to match the wattage ratings of the amp and speaker. Different speaker wattage ratings will affect how they respond at different levels; if I were to do my Weber purchase all over again, I'd probably get a 75-watter because higher-rated speakers tend to sound fuller at lower volumes, but as I said I'm happy.

The idea of using speaker(s) with a lower rating is, I think, based at least partly on the idea that you can push them hard and get some additional breakup that way. I'm not sure I put a lot of value on that so much (can't play that loud very often); however, supposedly a speaker's power rating is actually half of what it can technically handle, and generally people won't be running their amps at 10 all the time anyway. So a working C90 should hold up just fine with the LSC... but not a defective one.

Anyway, let us know what you end up doing.

Hmmm, sorry to hear your speaker gave out. It does seem odd that mesa would put 90w speaker in a 100w amp. On the other hand, many speakers are conservatively rated and can exceed their ratings. Such is the case with Webers. I got a blue dog and silver bell, 50w ceramics. I voiced concern to Ted about the 50w ratings on his speakers and wondered if I should step up to 75w speaker. He said his speakers will definitely go beyond their rating. So on that note, I have been very pleased with my webers. But they sound British, and are a different animal from the C-90's. Blue dogs and Silver bells come in many wattages right up to 100w. I also fried a C-90 once, but chose to replace it from mesa. I use the webers in an ext. The LSC just wasn't the same to me without the C-90's. Many here will say they prefer the webers of course. They are a popular replacement around here.

I don't think I heard of to many eminence success stories except the wizard, which is only 75w. The one speaker I've heard of that will be a definite improvement would be the EV. And I hear they are larger and difficult to install.

I'm thinking of putting an Eminence Texas Heat in there. I just want to get it working decent and try to put it up for sale, got too many amps. Been playing it thru my EV15L and it sure is sounding pretty nice, though.
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Well, after reading BobL's great review I guess I better get the California, maybe I'll keep this baby, after all.

LSCMan said:
I'm kinda leery of putting an 80 watt speaker in this thing, though.
Well, how loud are you planning on playing it regularly? If you play with the amp turned up pretty high a lot of the time, you might have a point. But we're talking about a Mesa at above half-capacity output, which is just... absurdly loud.

But do what makes you comfortable. Again, I have a 50 watt speaker in mine and have not had single a problem with it... but I don't crank it very often.

I put a new Emi Wizard in my LSS today. I had another Wiz in the LSS, but that's in my Fargen now. The Wizard is a great all around speaker that's clearer, brighter and more mids than the stock C90. The Wiz has the American flavor with a little British voicing mixed in. Nice balance

LSCMan said:
I like it LOUD!!! :mrgreen: Maybe that's why the Black Shadow s h i t the bed? :shock:
Most likely. I wanted to reduce the weight of the combo, so I put an 80 watt Celestion Neo in a LSC, fried it in minutes. At a gig. :(
Never again. The speaker's gotta be higher wattage than the amp puts out, or move next door to a re-cone service. Or get used to the 50 watt setting. Or never run the amp above 3, Buttercup. :lol:

[/quote] The one speaker I've heard of that will be a definite improvement would be the EV. And I hear they are larger and difficult to install.[/quote]

I love EV'S in just about everything,but I think not in the LSC. It would transform our Pig's into HOGZILLA's! :shock:

Imagine having to tote around a Lonestar with a pair of EVM12L's in it. :lol: I think it would sound good though.......

I'm going to get prices on a shorthead cab and an unloaded 2x12 cab for my Lone Star in an effort to help with the weight. Anyone here already do that and can advise on the $ needed?
see 'ya, Jim

Latest posts

Back