Blonde Mark2 C+ Short Head anyone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River

Reaction score
Gentleman,

I have a blonde short head Mk 2 C+ with reverb, 5 band graphic EQ, 100/60 switch (non simul) w/flight case in beautiful condition. A little wear here, but that’s it. And I do mean little.

I was wondering what these guys are going for these days. Hard to say anymore, as they have become too legendary. She’s all original, was never modded at the factory for upgrades, came this way and all is verified through Boogie.

I hate to admit it, but I must be getting old or something. Things have changed alright. Now I play jump blues and rockabilly with strats through a sweet old blackface Fender Super Reverb. Everything with this Boogie is right on, without question. Reverb is even smokin’ cool and deep. No baloney like scratchy pots even, nothing.

Includes flight case of course. Also thinking of selling the mint wide body ¾ back 1/12 Mesa cabinet as well.

I haven’t used the amp out in years, and when I fire it up at home it is so powerful I double up 20 foot cords and hang out in the hallway. Power attenuator? Naw, why even have this amp if you are going to say that, my opinion anyway.

Thinking of passing her on to the next generation. I bought it years ago when I was doing a Clapton/Cream thing. I sold three 100 watt Marshall heads when I found this, and never looked back. The amp used to bring them in from blocks away, stunned, to the clubs we were playing.

It is in fine working order, has ZERO issues, and my Mesa approved Boogie repair tech went through her a year ago, dropped in new 6l6 and preamp set Mesa labeled tubes from Svetlana, and even he tried to buy it from me-but he could never afford it. I also have a full set of five new JJ 12ax7’s labeled for the specific V positions as backup as well from Bob at Eurotubes. The only thing to mention is that currently the caps are still doing fantastic; tech said they are fine, but will need to be changed one of these years, as with all amps. I told him to do it if it needed it, and he said not even close to being time with the tone it has now. Nothing to hide, that’s why I share this.

I’m not sure what I want to ask for it, that’s why I’m putting this out to this forum and not the classifieds. I know that’s wishy washy, my apologies. I did see one on flea bay for 2500, but with 5 days to go and no bids, and it doesn’t have everything mine has. Still seems absurd to think of that price, but the tone……special indeed.

I’m in no rush, and am well aware of how special this amp is. It really is everything they say it is, and the leads, good gawd. Just not my thing anymore, too rockin’ and way too much firepower. These days I’m a clean jump blues guy, Freddie King, Howlin’ Wolf, play lots of slide jukes, that sort of thing. As for those goofy jam bands out there, this amp will send ‘em all home with their tails between their legs. I’m looking for another vintage blackface Super Reverb, or even a sweet old Deluxe Reverb, something along those lines, so trades a possibility. I’d move the Boogie to get another old Fender before the prices are out of my reach on those.

Advice would be appreciated on pricing, and if you are interested you can e-mail. Keep it clean, this is from work. Pics, serial # and so on always available, with no BS hidden surprises. Just know up front I take things slow, too many fools and cheeseballs out there. Please act accordingly.

Regards, and thanks for the advice if you pen any…

River-

Hello,

Here's a URL that has average prices on Mesa Amps: http://www.prepal.com/data/MesaBoogie.htm

It might give you a starting point or at least a ball park figure and then price according to actual condition.

Sir Brewski,

thanks for the interesting link. With all respect, this seems quite off the mark though. I know over on the cheeseball Harmony Central where evry guy posting thinks their amp and setup is the finest, that many of these Mark 2 C+ heads have gone for 1300-1700 as of a year to two years ago, and I'd assume they have gone up markedly. In fact, the first post on there is from a fellow named Todd who got his for $2500 in July. There is one on flea bay for 2500 as well right now.

Now this may or may not be ridiculous, as everything has its inherent "value". Hopefully the boys will give me some decent advice. I'm not looking to make a killing, just want fair compensation for one special piece that will probably let someone get the tone they've sought for years. All subjective, but we all know what this amazing amp does.

Thanks again Brewski,

and anyone with a sweet vintage blackface Fender Super Reverb that is mint and sitting lonely drop me some words-

Regards,

River-

River said:
Sir Brewski,

thanks for the interesting link. With all respect, this seems quite off the mark though.
River-

No problem. In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "When in doubt, go with what ya know!" So that's what I did and was just trying to help. There was no intent to put out a lowball price to you. Best of luck! :)

Like any volatile commodity, you'll get whatecer someone's willing to pay, not a penny more!

One option is to "pick a price" and see if it sells.

The other option is to put ot up on ebay, and see just how crazy the bidding gets.

You can expect somewhere between $2K and $2500 for your amp. The fact that it's a 100/60 means it could be easily upgraded to SC for $200-$250 by MB with a short trip back to the factory.

I'd buy it from you in a second if I wasn't knee deep into a custom amp project right now.

Good luck selling your amp and don't take under $2k for it. They're not making these amps anymore and Boogie doesn't make anything of this caliber anymore, IMHO.

If it were upgraded to simul it would have the MK III OT and part number.
The original SC152019B is long gone. I would leave it alone. It's like a 69 Camaro SS. It is always worth more stock.

Thanks for the words guys. Funk 49 has the advice that seems to go along with my gut on this. These things are just so dang special and flamethrowing. And this one is everything you hear. The leads you can reel off...........good gawd.

But if I brought it to a blues gig the bar would clear out, you know the purists.......and I wouldn't use it on old Howlin' Wolf songs either without being a few dark ales into it and knowing I was in another frontier, maybe a good one, maybe ridiculous and self indulgent. This thing is for rock, we all know that.

There is on on cheesebay for 2500 that has no EQ and the plus and reverb were added I think, but it is imbuya and a combo. Seems bizarre to pay that kind of cash, but all things are relative.

I'll try to take some pics of her this weekend and load them on here. How do you do that basically? I know how to have them ready to attach on the desktop. Where do I click on this reply page?

I'm in no rush to sell, but probably will just because it's absurd to let her sit in there while I'm out with the 66' Super Reverb day in and day out.

So no one has a sweet blackface Fender Super to trade eh?

One last thought, anyone use a volume pedal through the effects loop on these as a poor man's hot plate? I was thinking of trying that, but don't want to buy a dang volume pedal just for the little run through.

Pics soon-

Regards,

Riverhorse-

Yeah, definitely losing the transformer would could kill some of the value. The things that drives me nuts is Boogie *does* have the stuff lying around to build one-off C+'s...they just don't mostly for political reasons. Boogie would rather make Road Kings and Stillettos. Moving forward, not backwards I've been told.

Obviously, the parts aren't that available like they were, but if you were Keith Richards or Hetfield, I'm sure you could talk Randall into having one built.

Post those pics dude...I'm dying to see them.

Right on. Will try for this weekend.

How do I attach them to the reply/post in this forum?

Riverhorse-

Pictures will be taken tomorrow. Might not know how to post 'em, but I can e-mail anyone who is interested, and don't mind sending 'em to fans of the amp who just want to see another fine beauty.

I'm with you all the way there, just as sick and in love with fine amps as the rest of you capacitor whiffing animals.

Will put the amp up for sale within the next three days, maybe sooner.

Tracked down a clean and beautiful early blackface Super Reverb that's a steep 2195, but will be worth it down the road, so it's time to pass the torch on.

Regards,

Riverhorse-

No offense to your amp but in general, I wouldn't pay over $1,000 for a IIC+. If someone wants that sound, just get a Mark III, it's pretty close. And they only go for $650-700. Man for $2000, you can buy both a MkIII and a Marshall, slave and get a great tone.

That's fine for you Kgry but the fact is MKIIC+ isn't for everyone and people in the know will pay $2000 for a clean loaded one. It doesn't mater to them that you think the MKIII sounds just as good does it? You could buy a $5000 Two Rock Signature and loose 33% a week later too.

Kgry said:
No offense to your amp but in general...

Actually, much offence shall be taken...

It's obvious you really shouldn't have posted a response, seeing as your reply is only intended to stir up some ****. Buy all the amp you like, and move along.

Boogie would not do a one off. I am sure all of the artwork for the PCB's are long gone and too expensive to make today at the same quality. The current PCB's are made in Taiwan. They would also not make a IIC+ because in Mesa's opinion they already have the identical circuit in the MK IV lead channel. Now for the Road King, they used a MK I circuit for channels 1 and 2 and a Dual Rec in 3 and 4. It is a very cool amp with so many different vibes. They also revisited Simul-Class in the RK !!!
No doubt Mesa is progrssive, yet nostalgic in some ways. I would not expect a MK V either. What would it be? A four channel MK IV without shared tone controls. I am finally glad they went after Marshall and built and all EL-34 amp. The Stiletto rips.

Hello Gentleman.

No offense taken by me actually, and it's my Boogie. I think the guy was just trying to point out a budget conscious option, no big deal. regardless, nothing compares to the Mark 2 C+, it's one of a kind and does some very special things.

I just wish you guys could all spend a few hours at the helm of one, the guys that don't have one. The other Boogies and amps I've played over the many years seem somewhat sterile, fabricated if you will. they are great amps, just not like these Mark 2's in my opinion. Something about these C+'s is so organic in tone, really complex and the way the notes/chords bloom at high gain even.

Seems like a lot of amps have sound that comes from the speaker, yet with these C+'s I can feel the notes pour out of my fingers, seems that direct, like some sort of lightning rod. I know it sounds bizarre, but just what I feel when I play it. These are for some serious rock, so when that was my deal, it's the only amp I ever chose for it, over a dozen years, and I had access to any of them, for the most part anyway.

To me it's all subjective, some guys seem to get by with love dolls, but for me I want the red blooded live version.

I took plenty of pics of this amp, all the extras, and will put it up for sale in the classifieds on Monday morning. I already dropped 2200 on an old mint Super Reverb, mailed the cashier's check yesterday, so it is time for me to sell. Sooner than later anyway.

I don't know how to post pics, but will e-mail them to whomever want them for kicks, maybe someone can post them for me.

And for the cool guy who wanted to buy mine but was going to have it changed to a wood cabinet that I steered to go grab another amp, e-mail me so I can send you listings of settings and a manual in the mail, am excited for you to have one of these, and glad you found a combo with wood and didn't butcher mine!

Will post Monday morning, will be away from the computer until then.

Regards and be nice to each other you guys, it's a good life and we're all lucky to have it.

Riverhorse-

Back