Beginners guide to the TriAxis/2:90?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFDarkside

Reaction score
Hello all... after years of lusting after it I’ve finally acquired a TriAxis and 2:90. I’ve been a Road King owner since 2006 so I’m not new to the Boogie family, nor am I new to complex amps... I am new to rack gear and this is the next level of complexity!

It’s a V2, pre-fat mod TriAxis and a V1 2:90. Both previous owners said they had them gone over and retubed so I should be in a good starting place. I’ve been watching as many TriAxis videos as possible so I have a decent understanding of the modes and Gain, Drive, B/M/T/P controls.

I’ve wired it up with Hosa shielded cables, I’m only using the “A” side and have the Master down and Presence up on the “B” side. I’ve also got a G Major 2 wired through the effects loop. Finally, switch 1 is assigned to a Deep, switch 2 is assigned to Half-Drive and switch 2 is set to Modern.

Question 1:
How do I set levels appropriately? It seems I have Gain and Drive1/2 for overall tone, then Master and Rotary Master on the TriAxis, Input and Output Level on the G Major and Master on the 2:90. What’s the best way to set all these levels?

Question 2:
I assume I have the Switches connected to the correct 2:90 functions... as I flip through stock presets there’s a decent jump in background noise as Deep and Modern are engaged. Rhythm Green with no functions sounds quiet and beautiful. Lead 1 Red is a little noisy with no functions (similar to the high gain Road King) but of Deep or Modern kick in it seems noise increases. I’ve got the switch leads bundled with the signal leads, is this an issue?

Question 3:
Are there any good beginners/intermediate guides to a rack setup like this? Like I said, I’m very familiar with mid sized pedalboards and amps, this is a little new...

After disconnecting the Deep/Modern/Half-Drive switches from the TriAxis and 2:90, every mode is as quiet as expected. Should the switch lines be separated from the signal lines or is this an issue with the power amp with these functions engaged?

I cant remember if the owners manual says to use shielded cables or not for the 4 loop switches. I would try an on/ pedal that has short to ground with the 2 90 and see if you still get a noise increase...that v2 non phat tri is awesome...you should have a ton of tones coming out of that pre.
Most say run the led master 4 or lower,rotary 10 0clock or lower...the manual is an excellent read..don't pass on it.

Back