"Before" pics of blown MK III/decode scribbles

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyjett

Reaction score
I sent in my Boogie for repairs and had it fixed earlier this year. At first I tried to diagnose/fix the MK III myself and as you can see in the pic I was able to spot a damaged screen grid resistor easily. I replaced it but the power tubes were still glowing like an October sunset. I got sound, but it sounded like crap. So I took a wild guess and replaced the other screen grid resistor. Same problem. So I drove to Petaluma and let Mike B do his thing. A Ziplock bag full of bad parts and a reverb mod later, this Blue Stripe sang like never before. Pure unadulterated Tone-gasm for days. Didn't even realize it was having tone slippage over the years. It kinda sneaks up on you.

At the time I thought about having the III+ mod done but was torn with the varying opinions in these Boards. After a lengthy chat with Mike B, he convinced me to leave it be. However, I did take the advice of a poster (I forgot whom) who posted just insert a RFT in V3 and be done with it. Hard to explain, but I did get a warmer tone but still had a nice aggressive bite to it (is that possible?). Anyway I'm totally satisfied.

Check out the pic below with the letters DRG LC (or is it LL?). I know what the DRG means, but what do those 2 letters mean? Or is it just someone's initials?

Sorry, I'm just bored....my Boogie is in getting an R2 mod done, so I'm just lurking and posting old pics :)

Blown resistor.......

Here's the new grid screen resistor......

"DRG LC"?

Built in 1988, bought it used in 1991......

Anyone know this guy?

Cool autograph.......

I forget what the "d" stands for, but "r" is for reverb, "g" is for graphic eq, and lc is for long chassis.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back