Band Dilemma, Hoping for some insight.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ukalali Solo

Reaction score
Ok, so heres the deal.

I play in a local metal band in Florida, we've been gigging a few times a month, and working on new material for the last year or so. For the most part we've stayed rather local. We had jumped on a metalfest in Orlando, but we had to tell the promoter (or venue, can't remember) that we had to drop out because:
1) 2 of the band members have College finals on the same day.
2) One of the bands on the bill happens to have White Power Neo-Nazi friends/fans who happened to pick a fist fight with us last time we played with them.

We had to let them know a week before, because we didn't find out about the finals until the last minute. We tried to politely explain these issues, but the promoter or whoever set up the show backlashed at us saying:

"I hope you guys really aren't attempting to impress anyone, because as it stands of the moment I am completely unimpressed with your work that you put forward. First you couldn't get your demo to me, now your dropping the bill. If you are looking to a career in music I think you should definitely take it a little more serious. As far as bands taking your place I will find that myself, because having you as a reference isn't there best shot in my eyes. I'm not trying to be a dick, this is just business.

Good luck with your future ventures."

We never "promised" a demo, as frankly we want to get our new material recorded instead of our original work, and going into a studio prematurely is, i feel, a waste of time and money.

I'm not sure exactly how to approach this situation, part of me wants to throw formality out the window and tell this guy off after trying to politely explain our situation; however, the more logical approach would be to cut our losses and simply apologize again and hope for some sort of show w/ them in the future?

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Felipe

I'd go for option 2.

What are you guys called? I lived in Gainesville 3.5 years. I was just up there this weekend. Hit up the estates pool party.

'Trial by Torment,' I'm not thrilled with the name, but hey the drummer and the other guitar player are, so not much I can do heh. But i really enjoy the band, great guys.

Haha, yeah I was gonna go to the Estates party but ended up changing my mind last minute.

screw them, just play in tampa instead. we usually have like 3 decent metal shows a month and i'm sure you can get in on some of those.

I'm not trying to be a dick, this is just business.

What a dick. If he doesn't want to be reasonable and listen i say screw him. It is not worth the effort if he doesn't show you guys some respect.

Also did you find some stuff on sweeping?

AustinK said:
I'm not trying to be a dick, this is just business.

What a dick. If he doesn't want to be reasonable and listen i say screw him. It is not worth the effort if he doesn't show you guys some respect.

Also did you find some stuff on sweeping?

Turns out the "promoter" was just a 17 year old kid in one of the bands (his band is absolutely horrible haha), so I just told him off with class.

And yes, i found some great sweeping stuff, improved a lot.

Sounds like if he wants a career in the music business, he needs to start being a little more professional. S**t like that is uncalled for, and is very unprofessional. There are people that will eat him alive, and places that won't deal with arrogance like that.

I don't even know if that would have deserved being told off with class. I may have taken the primitive route of letting him have it after a response such as his.

what could a 17 year old snot nosed smart *** do with your demo anyway ? you'll meet a lot of low lives in the music business unfortunately. I once met a guy that tried to sell me an amplifier " That Carlos Santana played." I did not buy it of course ( I hate Santana's music...sorry) and it turned out the amp was stolen.

If you have a bad feeling about a band, person or situation then steer clear of it. Seriously, a promoter would be putting up the money for the venue and all sorts of other monetary obligations to get a show up and running. I doubt that this 17 year old kid can possibly have any power to help you or hurt you.

Forget about him and go about finishing up your demo.

Latest posts

Back