Ayan Smooth & Slim with Mark-series amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snottyboy

Reaction score
Anybody out here try this unit with their Mark? It is supposed to be placed directly before the amp input and is intended to smooth out the lead tone. I just learned about this device and was curious if anyone out here has any experience with it. Seems to be designed for use with a Mark I.

It tends to scoop out the "mud". I use an O.D. pedal to jack up the input signal. The BOSS OD-1 that I was using did somewhat of the same thing, as it tended to cut the low frequencies a good bit and cut a little of the highs . Then I would use the EQ to shape and recover the lost low end. But the downside to this was that the bass would be hellish when the BOSS OD-1 was switched off. Now, I am using the Xotic BB preamp and the Ayan filter. The clean vs. dirty EQ settings are the same now. Check out the before Ayan EQ:
DSC01973.jpg

With this EQ, the bass was unbearable with the OD pedal OFF.
And the after Ayan +/- the BB preamp:
DSC02347.jpg

***-kickin' with or without the Xotic BB pedal enaged,[/img]

Snottyboy said:
Anybody out here try this unit with their Mark? It is supposed to be placed directly before the amp input and is intended to smooth out the lead tone. I just learned about this device and was curious if anyone out here has any experience with it. Seems to be designed for use with a Mark I.

Quoted from the "Boogie Files"

" MESA/Boogie has stated that both the original and the reissue have a "looser" lead sound since the first two preamp stages occurs before the tone controls. In the various later Mark II and III models, there is only one gain stage before the tone controls. This signal chain is an issue of some dispute among Boogie owners."

Seems like the MkI may tend to overload the tone controls at high preamp gain levels. Even more so when some lunatic sticks an OD pedal in the signal chain.:lol: This filter would be even more beneficial to a MkI that did not have the graphic EQ's ability to aid in tone shaping.

Latest posts

Back