The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesD

Reaction score
Hello. I understand that Mesa Boogie Cabinets are pretty **** good. I have also read many discussions with a lot of praise for Avatar cabinets. I would really like to own a Boogie cab, but can't cut the 900 bucks for 1 now and don't want to spend 600-750 off ebay for a used one. I have really been looking into avatar cabinets and have pretty much decided i am going to order one. What i am wondering is, Are they pretty close in sound? If it is pretty dang close than i am going to pull the trigger and order, but if they are worlds apart then i might just wait. Sorry for the book. Thanks in advance.

The Avatar cab will be closer in sound to your Marshall
and not the Mesa.
Bang for your buck,you'll be pleased but still not
a Mesa sounding cab.
I always thought the Marshall cab with a 3ch. D.R. head sounded killer.
You got G.A.S?...or just not happy with the sound?

Well i don't understand how it is going to sound like my marshall cabinet with V30's compared to my marshall. It's not so much i don't like the sound of my marshall, i just want a nice cab with some V30's and don't quite have the funds for the mesa cab. I might run them both as a fullstack, the avatar and the marshall. Thanks for help :)

Guess you didnt say what your Marshall was loaded with..
BUT, you asked will the Avatar sound like the Mesa to which
I said...closer to what you already have.

After re-reading your post i now see what you mean. I can understand the Avatar sounding closer to the marshall because of overall dimensions and everthing. I wasn't trying to be a ******* or anything, i appreciate the help :)

The avatars are very nice cabs, but they just aren't Mesas.

I've been using an Avatar 4x12 with my recto for the last 7 months! Great cab for the price!

But, I've always wanted to unleash the full fury of my recto with what it was meant to play through!

Hence, why I picked up a Recto Oversized cab off ebay last night for $510 shipped to my door! That's only $10 more than what my avatar cost me!!!!!

So, look around! If you can swing the mesa at a good price, then go for it!

Yeah. I really have my heart set on a mesa oversized cab. I just want to raw power and thump. I guess i was just hoping there was a cheap alternative, but i don't want to drop $500 on the avatar(which not knocking them because i've heard all great things) but i don't think i will still be as satisfied as i would be if i have that oversized recto cab in front of me. I'm just gonna keep my eyes peeled and keep saving :) Thanks GUYS!

Although I have never played through an Avatar cab....I too had wrestled over what to buy 4x12 wise. I have a 2x12 marshall that I was using exclusively. it has the G12 T75's in it. I like it...its nice...but dude...the Mesa 4x12 crushes it hands down. I've compared it to a Marshall 4x12 with both the T75's AND V30's and the mesa is LOUDER, clearer, warmer, brighter....so on and so forth. I agree with Ibanezforlife...if you can swing it...and since you HAVE a cab already...wait for the mesa...especially if you can get a used one for a good price. The V30's will already be worked in and everything. Thats when those bad boys REALLY start to shine. Plus you'll match. Its a small thing...but it looks better onstage...so on. I love mine and if things get better for me musically....playing on bigger stages and what not...I'll get another. REALLY bring my single recto to life. Also...if you EVER don't like it...the resale value on a recto cab is good. And I KNOW you'd find someone on here that will take it off your hands. ;)
Hum

You really should just hold up and save up some more. You'll be so EFIN happy that you did once you play throuigh a boogie 4x12 cab. They will thump your freaking head off. Save yourself the money..wait buy a boogie.

Yeah, thanks guys. That is what i have decided to do. I am just going to keep on saving for the mesa cab. The marshall cab i have is nice but like you guys say i just want the REAL deal.

Ya, i definitely agree man. I just upgraded to a Mesa standard (the oversized one) 4x12 from my 1960a and my jaw just dropped as soon as i plugged in. Oh god, you'll be SO happy.

Having owned/played through both, here is my two cents, and my opinion.

They sound 98% the same.

They both use 13 ply, baltic birch.

They both use Dado and rabbit(?) methods of carpentry to hold the corners together.

they both use Vintage 30s.

The over sized cabs have a tad bit more bass, but it is also looser - probably good if you like the recto sound, but I like to play quick, tight, punchy thrash riffs, and the oversised recto didnt do it for me (but niether did the recto!).

I wont argue that the avatar is better. It deffinately does not look as good as the mesa, but sound wise, the difference is moot to me, and in my mind, the simularities in construction/materials supports that.

I plan top buy 3 more avatar cabs, so I will let that speak for itself.

( Or, Maybe im just a cheap *******, take it with a grain.)

Cheers
Matt

Latest posts

Back