Anyone Want To Talk Studio Pre?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reo73

Reaction score
I have had my Studio Pre with 50/50 set-up now for about 6 months and am diggin it more and more each day. The clean is fantastic on this unit, probably one of the best Mesa has made, and of course the gain on the lead channel is signature.

I have read all the posts that say the Studio Pre is based off the IIC+ circuit and paired with a 50/50 is close in the power section as well. I have never played a IIC+ so who knows. The lead gain has a nice chunck to it and that signature Mesa Mark karaang sound when a big open chord is hit. With the mid scooped it also gets very Metallica Heavy. And with the mid up it gets very fluid for lead lines. What I like most though is how articulate the amp is with single notes, which seem to play very crisp and unmuddled. For being only two channels with sared EQ I have been getting a wide range of tones out of it from super chimey clean to blues OD to full on hard rock and metal.

I have read different things saying that Mesa discontinued the Studio Pre because it was too good and took sales away from their other amp lines, I am guessing this is probably a myth but to my ears it is very, very good and I am amazed it gets overlooked so often for the likes of the Triaxis or the Quad.

Yes, I can only agree with you. I have 2 Studio Preamps and 1 Quad preamp. The Studio Pre is my favourite. The clean sound, with a bit of stereo chorus (I use a Yamaha UD-stomp) into a 20/20 or a 295 poweramp is one of the best ever in my opinion.

With regards to the lead tone, I like the Mid slider of the graph. equalizer turned all the way up. I prefer alot of mids in my lead tone. For qhat you get the Studio Preamp is cheap. There are always a few for sale on ebay.

I have a bunch of other "nice" amps/preamps but I always come back the Studio Pre. Possibly the best investment I made.

reo73 said:
I have had my Studio Pre with 50/50 set-up now for about 6 months and am diggin it more and more each day. The clean is fantastic on this unit, probably one of the best Mesa has made, and of course the gain on the lead channel is signature.

I have read all the posts that say the Studio Pre is based off the IIC+ circuit and paired with a 50/50 is close in the power section as well. I have never played a IIC+ so who knows. The lead gain has a nice chunck to it and that signature Mesa Mark karaang sound when a big open chord is hit. With the mid scooped it also gets very Metallica Heavy. And with the mid up it gets very fluid for lead lines. What I like most though is how articulate the amp is with single notes, which seem to play very crisp and unmuddled. For being only two channels with sared EQ I have been getting a wide range of tones out of it from super chimey clean to blues OD to full on hard rock and metal.

I have read different things saying that Mesa discontinued the Studio Pre because it was too good and took sales away from their other amp lines, I am guessing this is probably a myth but to my ears it is very, very good and I am amazed it gets overlooked so often for the likes of the Triaxis or the Quad.

Studio pre owner here too! I like it, but I'm constantly tweaking in searching for a good compromise between clean and lead tones.

ytse_jam said:
Studio pre owner here too! I like it, but I'm constantly tweaking in searching for a good compromise between clean and lead tones.

I've been using it in Auto EQ mode lately which allows me to scoop the mids more on the lead and keep the clean tone a little warmer. I am not picky when it comes to clean tone though so I set the lead like I want it and the clean is what it is.

I just got one. I think it may need to be retubed but running it through the power section of my Carvin Legacy left me a bit dissappointed. I'm going to try it through my Road King II next.

What kind of tubes are you all using?

CudBucket said:
I just got one. I think it may need to be retubed but running it through the power section of my Carvin Legacy left me a bit dissappointed. I'm going to try it through my Road King II next.

To be honest, I don't even know. I haven't opened up my Studio Pre since gettng it but it sounds good to me right now so no reason to worry.

reo73 said:
ytse_jam said:

I've been using it in Auto EQ mode lately which allows me to scoop the mids more on the lead and keep the clean tone a little warmer. I am not picky when it comes to clean tone though so I set the lead like I want it and the clean is what it is.
yep, that is my usual approach too.

CudBucket said:

I've got the Tung-Sol 12AX7 reissues in V1 and V2 and I think I have Shuguangs in the other slots. Not positive about the last part though. I use mine with a Simul 395 and it sounds ridiculously good.

CudBucket said:
Is it true you can have a IIC+ mod done to the Studio pre?

From what I hear, yes, though I do not know how it changes the tone specifically. Mike B would be the guy to talk with.

Yes, it can be done very easily by adding a few caps and resistors.
I can send schematics siscribing this modification to anyone who needs it.

Greetings

Golden1984 said:
Yes, it can be done very easily by adding a few caps and resistors.
I can send schematics siscribing this modification to anyone who needs it.

Greetings

What's the effect on the tone?

After modification it gets more gain. The overdrive is tighter, spicer and more agressive.

Golden1984 said:
After modification it gets more gain. The overdrive is tighter, spicer and more agressive.

Well ****...mind sending those plans to me at maxmyrlcrowe at yahoo.com?

Hello.

I started new topic in case of this mod.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=19204

I put there also link to these schems i placed in net.

I hope all of you to discuss and comment it.

Greetings

Latest posts

Back