Anybody have a 'BIG' Boogie 15" combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murfman

Reaction score
I've been thinking about making some hardwood cabinets for my MkIIb combo and extra speaker cabinet and am wondering how different sounding the 15" combo is from the smaller 12"

Does anyone have any experience with these amps? How do they sound in comparison to the smaller 12"?

I used to own an old Vibroverb that had a 15" speaker and it sounded sweet.

-Murf

I play through one on a regular basis that belongs to a disabled vet friend of mine who lives way out in the country. He special ordered it in 1981 and has copies of the letters he sent to and received from Randall while it was being built. The cabs are some kind of rare, tropical oak with wicker grilles. It's a IIb with the four switches on the front, the extra is the 100/50 watt switch. It has an extension speaker that's the same size and wood, both have JBL E130's from the factory. Each has a white road case.
This rig has never been gigged.

As you can imagine, the sound is monsterous. With the efficiency of the JBL's and the amount of air being moved I'm sure we're into colleseum territory.

I go out there every couple of weeks and he plays through my DC2 and I play bass through this huge Mesa. We jam and record and have lots of fun.

I'm sure that's more than you wanted to hear but I love to talk about this Mesa. The JBLs are not good with breakup. I'd put an Eminence 15 or a Weber in the combo to get some nice breakup. As far as I'm concerned the extension cab is more than normal humans need.

My Mk IV isn't a combo it's a short head but about a year ago I switched from a pair of Mesa Thiele cabs with EVM-12L speakers (which are now used in another rig) to a single 1-15" Lopo cab with an Eminence Commonwealth speaker. I really enjoy the sound of this setup much better. As small as it is, it sounds HUGE.

Hi Murfman,

The out of production JBL g135-8 15 inch speaker is especially designed for both bass and lead guitar, it has a paper dust dome which is less harsh on top doing the dirty tone thang. That speaker was especially designed after three years of research to do wonderful distorted tones as well as sweet cleans. It is of similar build quality as the E-130's, has a 3 inch edgewound aluminum ribbon voice coil, 12 pound ceramic magnet, and is rated for at least 100 watts continuous pink noise, 200 watts rms. I have a pair in series in a home made semi closed back cab and they are fantastic when I drive them with my Maverick. At 104db/1 watt/1 meter they are very, very efficient, but sweet. Hard to find, but they show up a few times per year on ebay. Not very many were made. Peace.

Thanks for the heads up on the JBLs...my search will commence...

-Murf

Latest posts

Back