Any Studio .22 users using an extension cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Anthony

Reaction score
I just picked up the shell of a DC5 amp to use as an extension cab with my Studio .22+ amp. I had put an MC90 in the amp and liked it more than the stock VC50, which I stuck in the new cab (I wouldn't mind finding the chassis of a DC-5 to put in there). What I noticed was a richer sound, fuller, louder, and more sensitivity to my playing. What are some of your experiences with this type of setup? Also, is there a possibility of adding in a Leslie cabinet, thus running two extensions?

Same for me....I was able to use an older Marshall 1960A cab for an afternoon, and it was almost game changing for me. It really made the little 22+ into a snarling little beast! I was sad to have to give it up. :?

I wound up changing speakers several times while I had the 22+...I was happiest with an Eminence Private Jack after it was all said and done. :mrgreen:

Hope this helps a little.

I've got a Weber 30watt alnico Blue Dog in my Studio 22+, which gives the amp a great retro vibe. I wanted to add an extension cab with another 12", but rather than another Blue Dog, I wanted to add something different to the sound, and went with a 100watt alnico Weber, the one that's their take on a Fane speaker (can't think of the model number right now). I went with a 100watt as I sometimes run the Studio into a slave amp for bigger gigs, and use that speaker.
Using both speakers gives a bigger fatter sound. The "Fane" fills out the bottom and middle a little. I love the combination.

I looked again---the shell is from an F-50. May want to convert back sometime if anyone has a chassis for one.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing with my .22

Take it you've had no problems using the extension speaker at the same time as the one in the combo? I've always wondered about that since there's only one extension speaker out on the back of my amp (4ohms).

Wouldn't the "normal" way to use two 8ohm speakers be via two 4ohm outputs?

In the manual it mentions hooking up a 4x12 to the extension cab out, but doesn't say whether to leave the internal speaker connected or not.

Just wondering...

W

If you add an 8 ohm speaker cabinet to the 8 ohm speaker in the Studio 22 you present a 4 ohm load to the amplifier. The 2 - 8 ohm speakers would be plugged into the 2 - four ohm jacks on the back panel that are provided for this config.

Of course, don't plug the speakers in or out while the amp is powered up.

I run the matching extension cab and (as I have said often enough to make regular readers barf) the open back speaker in the amp and the thiele ported speaker in the extension cabinet, which has a lower resonance and different ballistics, take a good amp and puts it into "magicville" :p .

The only down side is that it is hard to "mic the magic" for recording and lately I have had better results using the amp with only the combo speaker in the studio. Live though it's always with extension cab unless It has to get jammed under the piano for a jazz gig.
Mesa%20Studio%2022%2B%20w-Ext.jpg

If you add an 8 ohm speaker cabinet to the 8 ohm speaker in the Studio 22 you present a 4 ohm load to the amplifier. The 2 - 8 ohm speakers would be plugged into the 2 - four ohm jacks on the back panel that are provided for this config.

Sorry, for "would", do I read "should"? I've been wondering about this question for a while.

Wolfchild said:
I've been thinking of doing the same thing with my .22

Take it you've had no problems using the extension speaker at the same time as the one in the combo? I've always wondered about that since there's only one extension speaker out on the back of my amp (4ohms).

Wouldn't the "normal" way to use two 8ohm speakers be via two 4ohm outputs?

In the manual it mentions hooking up a 4x12 to the extension cab out, but doesn't say whether to leave the internal speaker connected or not.

Just wondering...

W
Alright and what about those using the Original Studio.22 combo the one with just one 8 ohms and one 4 ohms outputs, i always wonder if hooking both using 8ohms speakers its ok or do i need to unplug the 8ohms speaker of the amp and just use only one of the output's only?

Latest posts

Back