Another favorite power tube thread

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eudaimonia02912

Reaction score
Perhaps people have done some more experimenting, so I'm curious, what's your favorite power tube so far? What have you tried?

For me:
1. Stock Mesa 6L6s (yellow): Good bass, clear, somewhat hollow, but peaky and harsh on the high end sometimes
2. JJ EL34s: Smooth, thick, midrange-heavy, somewhat dull, not so clear, lacking in bass and yet dark-sounding
3. SED EL34s: Thick, smooth, tight and present bass, clear, full

I just noticed that I have a matched quad of JJ 6L6s. Maybe I'll try those too.

You?

eudaimonia02912 said:
Perhaps people have done some more experimenting, so I'm curious, what's your favorite power tube so far? What have you tried?

For me:
1. Stock Mesa 6L6s (yellow): Good bass, clear, somewhat hollow, but peaky and harsh on the high end sometimes
2. JJ EL34s: Smooth, thick, midrange-heavy, somewhat dull, not so clear, lacking in bass and yet dark-sounding
3. SED EL34s: Thick, smooth, tight and present bass, clear, full

I just noticed that I have a matched quad of JJ 6L6s. Maybe I'll try those too.

You?
you should try the JJ's

Stock 6l6 same as your findings

JJ E34L nice mids,good bass reponce aggresive top end without getting harsh
JJ kt77 stiff,kinda harsh highs decent low end,mids seemed hollow stock tubes are better

i like the russian 5881s. i used to run Sovtek 5881s in my old Boogie 50/50, and i tried that set for a while in my V, then bought a new set from Mesa.

to my ear, they have the same good bass as the stock 6L6s and a nice midrange but a lot less peaky and harsh on the high end. i do like darker tones--i run Celestion CL80s and use a Mullard RI in v1--but the 5881s work great for me.

JJ EL34L's sound great to me in the Mark IV and V. They keep most of the bottom end of a 6l6 but have a very complex midrange.

Back