After 15 years I'm playing again--bought a Mesa, please help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yohimbe2

Reaction score
The last time I touched a guitar was back in my head banging kid days. I've decided to start playing again and purchased a Rectoverb combo and a American Strat deluxe "V" neck. (Impulse buy)

I made my purchase at Guitar center and have 30 days...So far I'm loving the amps sound. Did I make the right move with the rectoverb? I'm looking for a good blues, rock-blues, and occasional classic/modern rock sound. (Blues higherst priority.) Am I on the right track? I'm not the type to sell and trade and keep gear for 10-20 years. (still have an american Kramer--1982)

Are there other Mesa's I should consider? I dont mind spending a bit more if I can get it right. (the lonestar seems interesting. I'm brand new here and any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

you could try out the Lone Star. or have a look at the stillet/roadster/roadking series. they are good for the classic rock tones

You are good where you're at. At this point there is no sense in changing anything. You can't go wrong with either selection. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Rayder said:
you could try out the Lone Star. or have a look at the stillet/roadster/roadking series. they are good for the classic rock tones

The loan star has some nice settings choosing the number of tube to be used. My main reason for registering on this board it to make sure I didn't make a huge mistake with the rectoverb. Is it a good amp?

Note: I've found that it takes months to learn how an amp sounds. There is no way I can get a real good feel in the short time I have this amp. So far it sounds great.

PRSKILLER said:
You are good where you're at. At this point there is no sense in changing anything. You can't go wrong with either selection. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Thanks, I was hoping to hear this. These boards seem to favor the stilleto, Roadster, F50 etc..When people ask for a recommendation on I rarely see Rectoverb listed.

Now that I'm not a kid (when I played last) I can afford to get it right this time. (tricky). Can I get great blues sound out of a rectoverb? (Loving the metal sound, although I'm a bit old for that stuff now)

It's because people don't know how to use the Rectoverb. It smokes the F-series in terms of gain and does a great blues with the pushed clean mode or or raw gain setting. The F-series is a wonderful clean amp but you have to fight for gain sounds. The Lonestar is the best of breed when it comes to strictly blues but really lacks for high gain. From what I understand the Roadster and RK series 2 has the best of both worlds. If pristine cleans matter, send back the ROV and get any one of the above amps, but unless you go into the $2000 range, you'll have limiitations on the amp you select....

yohimbe2 said:
PRSKILLER said:

Thanks, I was hoping to hear this. These boards seem to favor the stilleto, Roadster, F50 etc..When people ask for a recommendation on I rarely see Rectoverb listed.

Now that I'm not a kid (when I played last) I can afford to get it right this time. (tricky). Can I get great blues sound out of a rectoverb? (Loving the metal sound, although I'm a bit old for that stuff now)

TheRazMeister said:
It's because people don't know how to use the Rectoverb. It smokes the F-series in terms of gain and does a great blues with the pushed clean mode or or raw gain setting. The F-series is a wonderful clean amp but you have to fight for gain sounds. The Lonestar is the best of breed when it comes to strictly blues but really lacks for high gain. From what I understand the Roadster and RK series 2 has the best of both worlds. If pristine cleans matter, send back the ROV and get any one of the above amps, but unless you go into the $2000 range, you'll have limiitations on the amp you select....

yohimbe2 said:
PRSKILLER said:

you took the words out of my mouth.

yohimbe2 said:
The last time I touched a guitar was back in my head banging kid days. I've decided to start playing again and purchased a Rectoverb combo and a American Strat deluxe "V" neck. (Impulse buy)

I made my purchase at Guitar center and have 30 days...So far I'm loving the amps sound. Did I make the right move with the rectoverb? I'm looking for a good blues, rock-blues, and occasional classic/modern rock sound. (Blues higherst priority.) Am I on the right track? I'm not the type to sell and trade and keep gear for 10-20 years. (still have an american Kramer--1982)

Are there other Mesa's I should consider? I dont mind spending a bit more if I can get it right. (the lonestar seems interesting. I'm brand new here and any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

ROV is a good amp . Check out a Stiletto Ace if you are sold on the combo configuration . Totally different voicing so it may be a good idea just to check out something completely different .

If you like your sounds, then stick with the Rectoverb. It's a great amp.

I had a ROV for a while and really liked everything but the cleans. For a nice treat, swap a set of SED =C= EL-34's. A very nice sound indeed. The extra mids will help you cut through the rest of the band. I traded my ROV for a Roadster that had better cleans and a more sonic options. Hey if money is no object then maybe a Roadster, but you need not get rid of a really sweet amp.

Koprofag said:
Ignore what the amps are presented as. The ROV has 5 voicings. Toy around with them and you'll see. If this is your first time with Mesa, "everything at 12 o'clock" is a good start to get a basic tone except maybe Master/Output. The less gain, the more Master/Output, the better the sound (in my opinion). :)

Don't neglect the clean channel, it's imo the best part of the whole amp! Anything from big thumping bell-like tube breakup to soft mellow jazzy tones by using the Volume/Tone on the guitar.

Funny you mention the clean channel, it's the only channel I've been using. (Pushed for a blues sound)

It was fun to revisit my metal days with channel two, but I have a feeling channel one will be used the most. Thanks for the tips.

yohimbe2 said:
Thanks for all the advise all! I'm going to keep the amp.

One more 0.2 worth of info . I owned a ROV and although it seems to get a bad rap for its clean channel . I used to get a fantastic clean sound out of it . I did use EL34's as opposed to 6L6s . You might experiment with that as it has a bias switch on the back in case you do decide to try it .

Barry said:
yohimbe2 said:
Thanks for all the advise all! I'm going to keep the amp.

One more 0.2 worth of info . I owned a ROV and although it seems to get a bad rap for its clean channel . I used to get a fantastic clean sound out of it . I did use EL34's as opposed to 6L6s . You might experiment with that as it has a bias switch on the back in case you do decide to try it .

I'm sure I'll be hopping back and forth between different tube types. Swapping tubes is half the fun.

You say the ROV gets a bad rap for its clean channel? hmm...

That's along time to take off from playing. I've been there, but not that long.
Your hands have got an interesting road ahead of them.

You've got a nice set up, chill and just play! :p

I can remember working my way back after my youngest child turned 3 or so. I was ready to get into to it regular, now three years later - what a difference. Hang in there, my 2 cents - try not to focus on the gear too much at this stage - it's ADDICTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

You can rock the stinkin' casbah with what you've got now!

have fun - Remember: "Beware the GAS" :twisted:

- dstefani

dstefani said:
That's along time to take off from playing. I've been there, but not that long.
Your hands have got an interesting road ahead of them.

You've got a nice set up, chill and just play! :p

- dstefani

You arent kidding. My finger callasses are reforming (It was like playing wth marshmallow fingers before) and my fingers strength is coming back. One of my fingers is getting very sore with some of the blues licks I'm working on. (I really hope it gets better)

Its funny you mention just chill and play. Basically I just turned this amp on and am back to playing. I havent spent much time messing with the settings yet. Channel one pushed is sounding great and I'm playing 2-3 hours per night. Dam this amp makes a strat sound good !

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna keep the amp. Its all I need.

Excellent,

These days I work full time from home, so I get to woodshed at least an hour a day. I love it! My finger tips stay nice and tough.

Give that Strat a bit of time and you'll start to hear some real nice colors in the tone. If it has the SR1 set up like my new AM Deluxe, the pickups were designed by Bill Lawrence and even though they are kind of a classic med output pickup, they sound great. I've been tempted to try a higher output set like the Texas specials, but I keep liking these too much.

Once again, have fun!

See ya' 'round.

- dstefani

Kopro...what settings are you using on the clean?

Koprofag said:
Ignore what the amps are presented as. The ROV has 5 voicings. Toy around with them and you'll see. If this is your first time with Mesa, "everything at 12 o'clock" is a good start to get a basic tone except maybe Master/Output. The less gain, the more Master/Output, the better the sound (in my opinion). :)

Don't neglect the clean channel, it's imo the best part of the whole amp! Anything from big thumping bell-like tube breakup to soft mellow jazzy tones by using the Volume/Tone on the guitar.

Back