Ace Intermittent problem.....You guys should love this!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with that. I don't remember if you said it's under warranty, but if Mesa is "giving" you tubes, my guess is it is.

Good to eliminate the simpler & cheaper stuff first.

It sucks when you have to take it in for service and be without your amp for a few weeks, but if the tubes don't fix it, then it will be good to "bite the bullet" and get it resolved once and for all.
I can sympathize as my Ace is going on 7 weeks in the shop and they expect the parts to arrive today, finally.
But if they don't, the shop's technician leaves on vacation tomorrow and then I won't get the amp back until at least the 22nd! :cry:

The good news is that this is likely the last real problem I'll ever have with this amp for some time and hopefully, you'll find the same to be true for you.

Either way, good luck! :D

Yeah it is still under warranty, as I bought it new in Feb. I just think it will be wierd if tubes fix it because i have been playing my current preamp tube set-up for months without issues and now all of the sudden I get huge volume loss in spongy.

I pulled a bonehead move when swapping tubes to try and locate the problem I've been having. When swapping out tubes one at a time I inadvertantly pulled and put back the same PI tube. I went through my preamp again today and realized I put the same Russian tube back in the V5. Replaced V5 and my amp was instantly louder and the volume drop from Bold to Spongy was back to it's normal minimal loss. Would like to thank everyone who shot me feedback and didn't give me any negative critisism. (thank god I won't really need the JJ's mesa has already sent me)

stuff like this reminds me of issues i had with my car last year. thing would run fine, then, out of nowhere, stall. sometimes it wouldnt start up for mins/hrs/days even, other times it started right back up.

took it to 2 different shops, they couldnt duplicate the problem. after months and months of nightmares and stalling and being afraid to drive any long distance, I figured out the problem on my own. **** ignition module just had to be sanded and tightened. Golly, a free 5 minute fix solved months of headaches.

now that I think about it, I have had a similar issue with my Mark IV.....only happened one time, at a show......set up, powerd on, flicked standby off and started doing soundcheck, and volume dropped a LOT. came back, dropped again. happened throughout the entire set a few times. i was really worried, but the problem never happened again. this is the same venue that my amp will power on fine, then as im settingup, i notice the power light is off....no power to amp. mess with power cord, power strips, no luck. mess a little longer, bam - power. wtf!? bad wiring in the venue?

Home for the Holidays!
Finally, after 8+ weeks in the shop, my Ace is finally home! :D :D :D

Turned out to be a bad filter capacitor in the power supply; it would not always hold the charge.

Seemed like Mesa kinda "dragged their feet" in sending the parts, but in all fairness, it's not the easiest time of year to ship things. :roll:

The amp sounds good as ever!

I did treat myself to a new pair of GT el34M. :D You guys gotta check these out!
This is the Chinese (shaguan?...) Mullard reissue that Groove tube has made for them.
I am really impressed. I have tried the Russian (new sensor) Mullard reissue, and they sounded quite good, but these are better.

In a word, clarity.

Everything you like in a el34 tube, just more of it.
More harmonics, more low end (Way more). more lively. They are a fairly balanced sound; that is, they do not sound "scooped".

No harshness anywhere.

BTW I got 5 rating on these and the idle current came in about 40 ma. Right where Mesa specs it.

Not saying they're for everyone, but if you like the classic Mullard sound, this is a great choice and they're reasonably priced ($45 at GC).

Oh and.......MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you and yours. :D :D
Take care! :)

Back