80's Thrash Metal Guitar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, you want it...I got it. 8)

Here's coming from an old school metalhead..
I'm gonna be missing alot cause alot of my stuff is packed, but hopefully this will give me motivation to rip it all back out.
Going from some of my old collection of vinyl & CD, I'm going to list some bands in alphabetical order that had some pretty good tones back in the days (some go right up into the early 90s):

-Annihilator
-Anthrax
-Artillery
-Atrophy
-Celtic Frost
-Coroner
-Cynic
-Death Angel
-Defiance
-Destruction
-Enforcer
-Entombed
-Evildead
-Exodus
-Flotsam & Jetsam
-Forbidden
-Forced Entry
-Gothic Slam
-Hallows Eve
-Heathen
-Helloween
-Heretic
-Hirax
-Judas Priest
-King Diamond
-Kreator
-Lääz Rockit
-Loudness
-Malice
-Massacre
-Meliah Rage
-Megadeth
-Mercyful Fate
-Merciless Death
-Metal Church
-Nuclear Assault
-Overkill
-Raven
-Razor
-Re-Animator
-Sacred Reich
-Sadus
-Sanctuary
-Savatage
-Sodom
-Stormtroopers of Death
-Stryper
-Suicidal Tendencies
-Tankard
-Testament
-Toxik
-Uncle Slam
-Vicious Rumors
-Vio-lence
-Voivod
-Vulture
-Whiplash
-Wrathchild America

...looks like that's it for now. If you can add some groups, go for it. Once I unpack, I could probably make this a few more pages long (lol)! I can dig deeper into the underground material as well. I've always been an avid fan of music, so it was always cool discovering and hearing new bands back then. There was so much great music coming out that it was hard to keep track of! It was great to have been a part of it all!

All the Best,
~Nep~

awesome list. Entombs wolverine blues was a classic. funny you mentioned Hirax. Glen Rodgers is so awesome and a ll around great guy.

i'm so bad with names....snap your fingers snap your neck....who was that ? ughhhh.....guess i'm getting old.

PRONG ! yes.

BENNY said:
awesome list. Entombs wolverine blues was a classic. funny you mentioned Hirax. Glen Rodgers is so awesome and a ll around great guy.

i'm so bad with names....snap your fingers snap your neck....who was that ? ughhhh.....guess i'm getting old.

PRONG ! yes.

Wolverine Blues was great, Benny!..I agree.

Glen Rogers was a good guitarist. Do you know him? 8)

I had all the Prong albums as well. They had some really, really cool grooves going on..especially with "Snap Your Fingers..".

~Nep~

Hey Nep

you are missing

Anvil
Exciter
Nasty Savage
Savage
Motorhead
Hellhamer

Since some of those bands aren't thrash, some other influential early 80's bands with great guitar sounds:
Accept
GBH
Wendy O Williams

Ohh what an era. If only my mates visa was not turned down in 1984 when we were off to hang out with the San Fransisco Bay Area thrashers.

Leroy the Massochist said:
Ohh what an era. If only my mates visa was not turned down in 1984 when we were off to hang out with the San Fransisco Bay Area thrashers.

you're a good friend, i would have went anyway. ha ha ha.

I loooove playing 80's thrash. Each era has some fun stuff but I just love the hooks of the 80's.

My favorite (non thrash) band is The Sword. My favorite thrash band is Gamma bomb. My favorite trash-ish current band is Toxic Holocaust. Good times.

Jacko123 said:
My favorite trash-ish current band is Toxic Holocaust

I picked up one of their cds like over a year ago..."Wild Dogs" was the name of the song and reason why I picked up that album. Reminded me of old school **** I use to listen to back in the days. I dig the Municipal Waste material too. Those dudes know what's up. I picked up like 3 of their albums. :D

~Nep~

RectoStudioGuy said:
fbomb said:
TESTAMENT
FORBIDDEN
Riff-Tastic!
Twisted into Form changed the way "riffers" riffed.

Yooooo....Forbidden was THE ****! I still have my cassette copy! :lol:

Testament...shhhiiiit, Alex Skolnick is the man. He has always been in my top 5 favorite players ever. I think I felt the jazz in his style before he even realized he was influenced by it. LOL

Thanks for all the comments so far dudes! This is a nice thread to bring back those retro-thrash times. Metal Up! 8)
~Nep~

Neptical said:
RectoStudioGuy said:
fbomb said:
TESTAMENT
FORBIDDEN
Riff-Tastic!
Twisted into Form changed the way "riffers" riffed.

Yooooo....Forbidden was THE ****! I still have my cassette copy! :lol:

Testament...shhhiiiit, Alex Skolnick is the man. He has always been in my top 5 favorite players ever. I think I felt the jazz in his style before he even realized he was influenced by it. LOL

Thanks for all the comments so far dudes! This is a nice thread to bring back those retro-thrash times. Metal Up! 8)
~Nep~
I remember seeing them both back in the day at Iguana's in Tijuana... among the best places to see shows on the west coast. Always off the chain!

Latest posts

Back