6l6GB

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ti479

Reaction score
does anyone have any experience with sovtek 6l6gb? how is this different from 6l6gc?

The GB will only put out 19wats max.The GC is good for about 30watts max.The GB can only take about 360volts on the plate,the GC is good to about 500v on the plate.Two completely different animals.The GB will generally sound softer then a GC, but of course this is a very general statement.And you cant use a GB in a circuit designed for the GC-it will fry.Of course there are exceptions and I am sure someone will point that out.

the tubes in question are sovtek 6l6gb- the tubes that they may be replacing is the stock set of mesa 6l6gc. will this harm my amplifier? will the tubes fry as soon as i put them in? they are still in the box and therefore returnable- although the guy didnt have any 6l6gc.

I am not familiar with the Sovtek 6L6GB,but if it is a true 6L6GB it should not have over 360v on the plate.You did not say what amp you are planning on using these tubes in.If the amp has more than the specified volts at the plate or puts out more than 35-40watts you should replace them with the same 6L6GC's that were in it.I know Sovtek says their tubes will stand more plate volts than NOS tubes of the same designation,I believe this was a claim they made of their 5881's at one time.If they are selling tubes designated as 6L6GB but say they can put out more watts or take more volts then why not call them GC's?True 6L6GB's should not be put in a circuit designed for GC's.They may not blow right away but they wont last very long,and most likely will go south when you crank the amp.Most tubes will be able to withstand more than the design values stated in tube manuals,but many wont.I wouldnt use them.

has anybody tried cyro treated tubes i think they freeze them at high temperature and its supposed to make them quieter and a better tone :?:

can a kt-88 be used in place of a 6l6? does anyone have any experience with these? and if so .....how do they sound as compared to the 6l6's?

sorry about the previous post i meant the 5881 in place of 6l6gc? has anyone ever used Tung-Sol tubes?

A 5881 is almost identical to a 6L6GBhttp://tdsl.duncanamps.com/tubesearch.php check this link it will give you the data for most tubes.

http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/tubesearch.php heres the link again the other one didnt work

I have shuguang 5881's in my mark iv right now. on the lead channel they sound great, they break up a lot faster than GCs and give you the illusion that you are getting more gain. on the clean channel, they are horrible. at low volumes i can get some good tones with them, but as soon as i turn up the master volume i have no headroom, just total breakup. i am going back to 6L6GC's and may try KT88's for even more headroom on the clean

Latest posts

Back