50/50 Stereo power amplifier (need help)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytse_jam

Reaction score
Hi, I play a Mesa Studio Pre into a Mesa 50/50 Stereo (the old one, not the newer 2:50). The 50/50 Stereo outputs are 8 ohms or 4 ohms. So, I'm gonna buying a 2x12 for home-playing (don't have space for a 4x12 at home!). The cab's got 2 x Celestion Vintage 30 and can be used in mono (8 ohms) or stereo (2 x 16 ohms), so I was wondering what would be less stressful for my poweramp:

1) to use only channel 1 (8 ohm output) and the cab in mono at 8 ohms (no impedance mismatch but channel 2 output will not be connected to anything);
2) to use both channels with an impedance mismatch (poweramp outputs: 2 x 8 ohms, cab: 2 x 16 ohms).

All that keeping in mind that the 50/50 Stereo user manual states the following:

1) "If you opt to use only one channel of the Fifty/Fifty with speakers
connected to only one channel's output(s), you must turn the unused channel's Level control
to zero! Otherwise the channel will be operating without a load, and damage to the tubes
and/or the transformer will result.
"

2) "Mismatching of speaker
impedance will not cause damage or severe loss of power. (Extreme mismatches will
decrease tube life, however).
"

So the manual allows for both the options, but which is less stressful for the poweramp?

Thanks.

Hi YJ,

I also have a 2x12 cab with 2 V30s that can be run in 8ohms mono and 16ohms stereo operation...
I run it in 16ohms stereo out of the 8ohms outputs of either my 50/50 or my 2:90 with no problems at all. The sound of the 16ohms speakers run by the 8ohms outs is *subjective* somewaht more mellow or smoother (if that makes any sense)...at least in my experience...

This is an absolute safe mismatch and you´re good to go stereo

Thanks Triaxstasy, it's great to get help from one who's got direct experience.

Latest posts

Back