4x12 Cab question for you guys??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smd24fan

Reaction score
Hey all,
I noticed in the last couple of weeks that my Recto cab was getting a little flubby at just some low frequencies. It was really starting to annoy me, so I opened it up to investigate. The speakers were nice and tight as was the support cross-member inside. I did notice that the back cover was not as tight as it should be, so I buttoned it up nice and tight. I bought this cabinet used, so I suspect it had been opened before. Anyways, now that everything is down tight and snug, problem appears to be gone. Question is, can a slightly loose back panel cause this to happen, or is it just in my head? Settings are all the same on the amp, and I am not operating in a state that would cause this problem. At the most, bass is on 10 o'clock with slider at roughly 80% up. Who thinks I'm crazy? :roll:

any cab will make any amp sound diffrent. Yeah the looseness of ur cab would have been caused due to bass freq. seeping out the back of the cab. Theres a couple of ways to make sure that this will never happen again. first replace all your wireing with bigger gauge, im usein 10 gauge wireing for my speakers. Next go to wal-mat, zellers, k-mart anywhere that sells cheep bed foam, you know the **** that goes ontop of your mattress. Now cut the foam so it can fit your cab perfectly. Then use some good old elmers spray glue on teh foam and stick the foam in the cab. Now this is wehre i failed on one cab and had to re do it. Make sure you hold the foam there for a min or so so the glue has a chance to grab. Then do the same to the backing of the cab. Now before you stick this all back together you can do some other things here to increase the percentage of zero leakages. I caulked every single joint i had inside the cabs. Then i added weather stripping tape to the cab where the backing and the cab meet. Once i got it all back together i then drilled one more screw through the support beam that coems from the middle of the cab. this way you know nothing is going to pop that back off. And there you have it all of your sound and freq. are comming out of the front of the cab. Now remind you this is for closed back cabs lol. Ive done this to both my cabs and my other guitarist's cabs and no amp sounds better than with this cheep yet simple mod. Also try taking off ur casters from your cab i hear that takes away some freq. too.

I've seen some dude do that on YouTube with his Marshall cabs and he swears by it! I may just try this, want to crank my amp up good when I get a chance just to be sure the issue is gone before I do a mod like this. I've been tempted to do this for awhile, may just be the perfect time! Thanks man!

man i swear by it. honestly it wont do anything but better your cab. I use peavey 6505 cabs and they sound better than any orange, mesa, or anything ive tried. Mind you i did swap out speakers lol.

Latest posts

Back