4 high gain head shootout

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintballnsk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I took a single SM57 and recorded a mono track of a similar riff.

There's 4 heads here, a DC10, Mark IV, Roadster, and Peavey 6505+.

All were using the same guitar, cab, and mic position. The tracks are as raw as it gets. Guitar into head into tracks with no post processing.

The last track is processed and recorded in stereo. It's sloppy but I was too lazy to re-track it.

See if you can guess which ones they are.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9424995

Thanks,
Zed

I'm going to guess...

Mk IV (over emphasis on the bottom end from using the graphic EQ)
DC 10 (hazy midrange due to not having a graphic EQ)
Recto (could've dialled that one in better....)
6505 (doesn't sound like the others)

I repositioned the mic to get rid of some of the mud. I was grabbing way too much bottom end.

Guess again :) You got one right.

I liked the sound of the second and third clip the best and I liked those about the same. I'd like to hear a better recording of this.
Thanks for posting!

Nice post mate!

I'm not experienced with these amps but I'm gonna say the second and third were the best sounding, first was a bit too low end and sounded flabby and the last one was like a wasp in a biscuit tin! :lol:

Close enough !

Stereo Roadster
Roadster
DC10
MarkIV

It's hard to judge especially when they're not in the context of a full mix. The mark sounds over compressed and very mid-rangy compared to the other ones, but it sits great in a mix.

The roadster usually doesn't have that much low end, but I think the JJ 12at7 I put in V1 gave it a lot of low end. I'll be putting a JJ 12AX7 back there when I get to it and re-track it for ya.

I sold the DC10 to a friend of mine. She will be missed... until I buy her back :)

I fixed the mic position on the first and second clip. The first clip has a blend of SM57 and NADY RSM4 ribbon (about 80/20 mix).

None of the tracks are raw anymore. Some of my friends don't seem to understand what "raw" means so I put some compression and filters on all of them to make them sound cleaner.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9424995

Latest posts

Back