20/20 Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's a 20 watt per side stereo amp, which is different than a 40w amp.

but be aware that's a POWER amp, you have to run a pre to take any sound out of her.

wondering . . . Diego10 cause of the football player??

Can you get any pristine clean sounds?

Yes! Try TriAxis (if you have one) factory patch 05 (R Yel) through your 20/20 with single coils - you can't get more bell-like.

jbw

p.s. - Thanks for the opportunity to reply - this makes 10 posts. :D Yea! - jbw

The amp will output 40 watts, just 20 (or 22 or whatever) per channel. That means you can get the volume of a 40 watt amp, but only with the headroom of a 20 watt amp. It can sound clean, just not totally clean when cranked up high. Don't expect it to have the same kind of headroom as a 50 or 100 watt amp, because it doesn't have it. 40 watts into efficient speakers is still LOUD! Triaxis and 20/20 is a sweat combo. However, if you love those big fat blooming fender twin reverb type of clean tones at high volumes, I'd go with something with a bit more power. If you love a Fender deluxe reverb kind of snappy gritty clean, the 20/20 will do that great at high volumes.

Just for comparison...
Before I had my 20/20 I used a Marshall 9100 2x50W poweramp (5881 tubes).
And guess what? Marshall Watts seem to be less powerfull then Mesa's 20/20. I've never heard a poweramp with just 20 Watts per side produce this loudness. Sounds great with Triaxis and Quad... and most likely with everythinh else..

Any chance a triaxis + 20/20 will produce any AC30ish chimey sorta breakup?

20/20 stereo will have the same headroom as a 40watt mono! What your running into here is that EL84 specifically differ from other commonly used power tubes in that break up with far less signal.

I have a buddy that uses a Triaxis thru a 20/20 and (2) 12" Mesa Wedge Instrument Monitors using single coils and gets GREAT pristine clean tones out of it. An if you need to run at lower volumes for smaller venues the 20/20 is absolutely wonderful. The Triaxis and 20/20 combination tones are so impressive, especially for cleans, that I am putting together a Triaxis and 20/20 rack myself. As far as I am concerned...

The Mesa Triaxis pared with a Mesa 20/20 and Single Coils is a match made in heaven. I don't see how you could go wrong.

I currently have a Triaxis (Ver 2 NO MOD)..and I switch between my Mesa 50/50 and my Mesa 20/20.......

Both sound Incredable with the Triaxis.......

The 50/50 is LOUD AND I DO MEAN LOUD....I have used that to cover some of the larger stages I have played......

BUT.....for "Local" smaller club work....... the Triaxis and the 20/20 has some of the sweetest sounds I have heard.....
AND YES I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET SOME PRETTY AWESOME CLEAN ...

Just sparkling..... I use my Triaxis Rythmn Green.....with a fairly low gain setting....say around 3/3.5..... push the treble...to around 7.5 keep the mids...low....2/3 with NO Bass...... I run the Presence control around 6.5/7.5 and set the master at around 4.5/6.5

I set my Main Output on my Tri at around 3/3.5

I run my Presence on my 20 /20 at around the 11O'Clock Position and set the 20/20 volume at around 9 / 10 O'Clock position

I use a Mesa Recto 2X12 closed back Cab........

if you are using the Triaxis any combination of Power Amps and Speaker Cabs..... you have to experiment....to get the sound you are looking for.....

I have spent years playing with mine....and everytime I turn it on.... I can find some new sound.......I think it's just the nature of the beast.....

but I have used so many other types of Amp/ preamp setups....and I keep coming back to my Mesa Boogie Setup............

George...........

Always be in search for "your" Perfect Tone...........

And what about lead tones with the triaxis / 20-20 power amp, I'm currently playing a Mark IV but would be very interested by this combination....

In that case, why not just use the triaxis through the Mark IV's poweramp (FX Return)?
I think you'll achieve a better sound for leads, plus you have a simulclass option as well.

well I'd have liked to know if I can have great sounds from the triaxis/20/20 just because it would be lighter and smaller....(than the MarkIV)

Great sounds : yes !
But it lack a bit of headroom compared to my 50/50, but it's a bit more aggressive too !
I think the answer can be found in a deep mod.

well I'd have liked to know if I can have great sounds from the triaxis/20/20 just because it would be lighter and smaller....(than the MarkIV)

I don't imagine a Triaxis and a 20/20 in a rack is lighter or less cumbersome than a Mark IV head. To match the power of a Mark IV you'd probably want a 2:90, and that will definitely tip the scales.

I'm using a 20/20 because I just don't need the levels capable from a higher wattage stereo amp. I get great cleans and gnarly distortion and can easily work most small venues.

jbw

Latest posts

Back