2 heads... 1 cab.... how to???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadKinger483

Reaction score
ok, I have my Mesa 4x12 cab that i want to run with my DR and MkIV simultaneously through it with an ab box. How would i do this??? Do the 4ohm inputs on the back of the cab for stereo operation operate all 4 speakers or just a pair per input??? Or could i but a Y adaptor, plug it into the 8ohm jack and plug both heads into the adaptor respectively??? Any help would be great. Thanks

RoadKinger483 said:
ok, I have my Mesa 4x12 cab that i want to run with my DR and MkIV simultaneously through it with an ab box. How would i do this??? Do the 4ohm inputs on the back of the cab for stereo operation operate all 4 speakers or just a pair per input??? Or could i but a Y adaptor, plug it into the 8ohm jack and plug both heads into the adaptor respectively??? Any help would be great. Thanks

i don't know, but don't experiment or you may smoke both your amps.

good luck.

if you have a stereo cab just plug the two heads into each side. each head will drive two speakers.

guitar >A/B/Y < DR/MKIV> then each head into the cab

you can use the tonebone VT as suggested above^ its a fancy A/B/Y pedal that keeps a load on both heads at all times so that nothing burns up :lol: Ive used my morely a/b/y running two DRs and had no problems :D

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the Tonebone doesn't allow you to use both amps at the same time into one cab. It just allows you to switch between the two correct?

I think if you were running two amp into one cab at the same time the ohms would be messed up. Again if I'm wrong please somebody let me know. I just don't see too many people running two amp heads into one cabinet where you can hear both at the same time...unless it's a stereo cab and you have your amps plugged into the seperate sides.

Turumbar82 said:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the Tonebone doesn't allow you to use both amps at the same time into one cab. It just allows you to switch between the two correct?

I think if you were running two amp into one cab at the same time the ohms would be messed up. Again if I'm wrong please somebody let me know. I just don't see too many people running two amp heads into one cabinet where you can hear both at the same time...unless it's a stereo cab and you have your amps plugged into the seperate sides.
That is correct . You can only use one head at a time

make sure you get a good aby switch because it makes the world of difference... use the 4 ohm outs of each amp into the two 4 ohm inputs on the cab

BTW make sure you have an extra pair of pants near by because upon the first chord your going to **** your pants. :D

when i bought my mark iv i was abing between it and my tremoverb through a recto 4x12 so i could dial in a recto-ish tone on the mark... needless to say when i got to the point where the mark iv sounded better than the tremoverb, i through the switch on Y and let them both play together and it was nothign short of massive. i had trouble playing because of the bulge in my pants :twisted:

Latest posts

Back