2 Channel Triple.... Extremely bad clipping on clean channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Lehman

Reaction score
Orange Hi Gain works fine, but when switched to clean it clips the amp horribly.

Everything else seems to work fine except the clean channel.

The problem is intermittent, have tried using the wimpy, stock neck pickup and still clips bad when you dig in

any thoughts?

Fairly new tubes all around, Amp is a beast in Red and Orange Hi Gain

Have you swapped guitars/cables/tubes even though they are new, loop bypased? The pins for the V1 tube may also be dirty.

An LDR might be failing and stuck and restricting signal flow in the preamp in the worst case scenario.

JCDenton6 said:
Have you swapped guitars/cables/tubes even though they are new, loop bypased? The pins for the V1 tube may also be dirty.

An LDR might be failing and stuck and restricting signal flow in the preamp in the worst case scenario.

no i havent tried anything. it was doing it before the last time i changed preamp tubes so im fairly certain the tubes are not to blame. ive had them in and out a few times so i dont think the pins are dirty, should be scraped pretty clean.
Had my amp guy look at it but he couldn't get it to clip so didnt really know what i was talking about

Nick Lehman said:
JCDenton6 said:

no i havent tried anything. it was doing it before the last time i changed preamp tubes so im fairly certain the tubes are not to blame. ive had them in and out a few times so i dont think the pins are dirty, should be scraped pretty clean.
Had my amp guy look at it but he couldn't get it to clip so didnt really know what i was talking about

Pre-amp tubes fail, I would change them out once at a time to check.

Nick Lehman said:
ive had them in and out a few times so i dont think the pins are dirty, should be scraped pretty clean.

Some pin sockets could be too far apart causing a bad connection. Try closing them up to make sure they contact the tube's pins properly. Same goes for the power tube sockets.

Blaklynx said:
Nick Lehman said:
ive had them in and out a few times so i dont think the pins are dirty, should be scraped pretty clean.

Some pin sockets could be too far apart causing a bad connection. Try closing them up to make sure they contact the tube's pins properly. Same goes for the power tube sockets.

How do close up the pins on the tube bases? I guess i will grab a few preamp tubes and see if it makes a difference

Nick Lehman said:
Blaklynx said:
Nick Lehman said:

How do close up the pins on the tube bases? I guess i will grab a few preamp tubes and see if it makes a difference

Go here:
http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=171

Latest posts

Back