2:100 --> Trixias

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have been running this setup for about a week now.
I am really liking the modern mode on the 2:100 with the triaxis

i have been running this setup for about a week now.
I am really liking the modern mode on the 2:100 with the triaxis

I don't believe anyone posting clips of it will give you an idea what it will sound like unless you compare it directly with another preamp. IE have the first 15 seconds of the recording on a recto power amp and the last 15 seconds on a 2:90 power amp. Your head can't memorize the tone EXACTLY. If you listen to clips here people get good tones out of nearly anything mostly due to good recording technique as opposed to stellar tone. The tone you hear in a room is going to be different than what is coming directly out of the speaker.

The TA sounds pretty good IMO and it doesn't really matter so much which power amp you use. The 2:100 is a 200 watt power amp. Do you really need 200 watts? The 2:90 is a special power amp because it is Simul Class and has the 3 modes which include Half drive. That's the only reason I would consider it. The 50:50 and the 20/20 weigh less than the 2:100 and 2:90 as well as costing less to retube. When you retube the 2:100 or the 2:90 that's 8 6L6 power tubes (about $120-$180 bucks to retube) which is another thing to consider.

The power amp is very dependent on the preamp so if the preamp sounds like a recto then it will probably be a very convincing recto sound. If the preamp sounds like a marshall it will probably be a fat marshall type sound.

It's very hard to describe sound with words as it's opinion based. You really need to start getting out and plugging into these items or just go ahead and take the plunge and buy them. I think the TA sounds badass with the 20/20 power amp but I you may disagree.

I am not trying to discourage you from buying anything but I think you should consider other factors before buying.

Greg

Greg: Thanks for the detailed reply. I know I want the TA because of the versatility, but right now for the power amp I'm leaning towards the 2:90 and then maybe also getting a recto recording preamp to get some recto tones. I'm also thinking about getting a Marshall JMP-1 preamp for some Marshall tones as well. What do you think of this set-up? I'm most likely going to decide what I want and then purchase it because I know you need allot of hrs tweaking and learning everything before you really can say what you like and don't like. Thanks

- Patrick

I say start small. You own a triple rec that I assume you like the tone of right? Well instead of tossing the triple rec here's an idea: buy the TA without buying a power amp. Plug a regular guitar cable from the output of the TA to the effect return of your triple rec. Make sure the effects loop in on and the return/mix level is at 100%. Now you can plug your guitar into the TA without buying everything at once. Doing this will give you a good idea on if the TA is right for you. If you decide the TA is the way to go then I think it would be safe to sell your Triple and get a power amp such as the 2:90 or the 2:100 (hell even the 20/20 sounds great and will be easy to carry).

There are a couple of TA's on ebay and that is where i bought my preamp from. You have to be careful as there are a few different versions (V1 without the recto board, V2 with recto board without the phat mod, V2 with recto board and phat mod, and V2 without recto board but it is labeled as searing boogie lead). Generally speaking the V2 without the phat mod is the most desired version (I own this version) and was only made for a few years. Make sure that the effects loop worksm, all of the display LEDs light up, and which version it is before you buy. My TA did not have a working effects loop but luckily i was able to repair (i don't think the normal user would have been able to).

Once you understand signal flow you will understand how these complex rack systems work (ie series, parallel, amp switchers, etc). Do some research and be sure of what you want before you buy but never get rid of something that you like for something you've never tried.

Good luck,

Greg

Greg,
Thanks for all the info. Ya getting the Triaxis and messing with it seems like a good 1st step. So should I be looking for the V2 no PHAT Mod? Anyway of recognizing it visually by serial numbers or anything? Thanks

- Patrick

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1256&highlight=traixis+serial

Here check that topic for info on the different models.

Like I said earlier.....signal flow will help you understand everything. If you plug the output from the TA into the return of your Triple your signal goes straight to the power amp thus bypassing the preamp. Now, since you have an on/off switch for the loop you can turn the loop off (leaving the TA plugged into the loop return) and plug your guitar into the front of your triple to use the triple's preamp. I don't suggest that you combine the two with an A/B box because it adds to setup headaches, ground loops (IE big hum and noises), and more points of failure. I used to run a PV 5150 head, ADA MP-1, PV Rockmaster, PV addverb effects processor, and PV tubefex all at once through a single 4x12 cab(not all at the same time of course). I had it setup so I could use each device seperately but how many did I actually use live? 4 maybe 5 channels (with some effects) was it worth the setup hassle? Hell no! I would trade it for the TA and 20/20 any day. If i need an effect i can buy a pedal to throw in the loop or use my behringer Vamp2 in a pinch for some verb or delay(effects aren't my thing). I used to love having a bunch of tones on tap but the reality of it was I needed 1 good clean a good crunch and good lead/heavy channel. The TA allows me to save settings which is great and makes A/B different tones a snap.

I don't know what the other versions of the TA sound like but I know I can say that I like the way my V2 non phat sounds. The V2 Phat can be made into a non phat for like $200 at boogie. A V1 or V2 with the searing boogie lead CANNOT be made into the Recto versions.

i have both a 20/20 and a 2:100
Both great amps
the 2:100 sounds fuller and, with the modern mode i get that extra crunch.
but i also get great sounds with my 20/20.
I use a eq in my effects loop and get recto type tones.

AliensExist4 said:
Greg: Thanks for the detailed reply. I know I want the TA because of the versatility, but right now for the power amp I'm leaning towards the 2:90 and then maybe also getting a recto recording preamp to get some recto tones. I'm also thinking about getting a Marshall JMP-1 preamp for some Marshall tones as well. What do you think of this set-up? I'm most likely going to decide what I want and then purchase it because I know you need allot of hrs tweaking and learning everything before you really can say what you like and don't like. Thanks

- Patrick

I wouldn't get too hot about the JMP-1. I owned it for years and eventually realized that it wasn't going to ever give the tone of a real amp. I could never get away from the synthetic feel it produced. I have played Marshalls for a long time and the little JMP-1 just never quite cut it. I tried to like it but in the end I sold it off along with its tube power amp in favor of getting a standard head.

bro: Anyway of getting some clips up with just your 2:100 and Triaxis and some of your presets you like with no eq? This would help allot. Thanks

Russ: Ya I've heard good and bad stuff about the JMP-1 but on ebay their no t that expensive so I might try it. Thanks

- Patrick

If you get one, I would definitely suggest swapping out the tubes. The stock Marshall 12ax7's in there suck. Definitely swap them out for something else. Then, also, do not pay more than $300-$350 if you can for a used unit. This way you can still get your money out when it comes time for you to sell it again. The MP4E? foot controller for it costs a couple hundred new. Take this into consideration if you do not have other means of midi switching also. So, if you get one with the controller you might consider going as high as $400. I know a lot of people find success with them but I just couldn't find the organic tone I was looking for. Good luck.

Russ: Thanks for the info. Ya I could probably put some mesa tubes in there and see how it sounds. I have some spare tubes to mess with.

- Patrick

Latest posts

Back