2:100 forgotten ??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzdarkside

Reaction score
Hi

Due to i'm seeking for information about which power amp to match my Triaxis and it seems to be 2:90. But after I took time to do a research in this forum I rarely found thread about 2:100. Could anyone please tell me the story about it why it seems like forgotten one. Does it good, bad or did good job with Triaxis

(actually I found used 2:100 selling with good price and information needed)

Thanks

I don't know how the 2:100 sounds with the TriAxis, but I know it is Recto based and the 2:90 is Mark-based - since the TriAxis is a preamp consisting almost entirely of Mark series preamps, to me it makes more sense to pair it with a 2:90 (or 2:50 or 20/20).

Last summer I bought a 2:100 and a Simulclass 295 (not 2:90) in search of the perfect power amp for my Boogie Studio Preamp. I would dial in a good tone on the preamp, and then switch back and forth between the poweramps, all while running through the same 4x12 cab.

I set up this all-out bone-crushing metal chunk tone with the 295 and cranked it uPPPPPPPPP. Sounded incredible. Then I switched over to the 2:100 and... BOOM. Equally massive, chunky, bowel-moving tone that sounded almost EXACTLY the same. The only difference I could detect was that the 295's feel was a bit spongier from being half-EL34's - making it a little more fun to play lead. But when it came to chugging power chords and standard metal rhythm guitar, they delivered about the same results. I would say the 2:100 beat my 295 in every department except soloing, although not to say it was unusable for soloing.

I did not play with the Modern mode very much because when I switched it on, it triggered some weird squealing noise from the unit. This was a used "Guitar Center special" so I returned it after I was done my comparisons, but I would probably buy one again.

I think one drawback for people when it comes to the 2:100 is that it does not have a Bold/Spongy variac or a tube rectifier. Though, it's obvious that they were designing this to be a two-space rack unit, so there is absolutely no room for FOUR rectifier tubes in there.

So in conclusion, don't be scared of the 2:100. It's an incredible power amp. I am also a Jazz player and the 2:100 delivered some of the best feeling Fender Twin-like clean tones I've ever gotten from a Boogie. And this is why I love Boogies - I can go from James Hetfield to John Scofield to Wes Montgomery all on the same amp!

Latest posts

Back