1x12 or 2x12 recto cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanseanhd

Reaction score
just bought the MarkV 25 which cabinet would you recommend for a classic rock band with a loud *** drummer. i have tried playing my 6505+112 but had a hard time hearing the amp on the floor over the drums so i am Leary of the 1x12 but really want a small light rig tired of toting the 6505+ head and 4x12 also lighter is a necessity as i just had 3 vertebrae fused in my neck. also looking at the theile suggestions please.

The easiest thing to do, and it's not always possible, is to mic tne guitar if you have a decent P.A. That really takes a lot of the cabinet out of the picture. That way, you have the tone you want and just need to adjust for practice and gigs. Another option is using a stand. Guitar cabinets, especially closed back, are very directional, so the position can make a huge difference.

i already mic but still like to hear the amp on stage its hard to use a stand with a head and cab.

The mesa 1x12's can get pretty loud. You shouldn't have a problem hearing them with a drummer. They also make a 1x12 slant. That might be worth looking into. I have a 2x12 horizontal and its heavy and awkward to lug around. If I had a bad neck, I wouldn't be able to haul my 2x12 around without a dolly or something.

I found that when using fairly scooped tones (read: Metallica), my Mark V:25 would get completely lost in the mix with a second guitarist and a loud drummer -even with the volume up at full blast. That's with either a 1x12, 2x12, or a 4x12. I had to re-EQ to be heard... so it was the conundrum great sound that no one could hear, or bad tone that is completely audible.

With classic rock, and assuming a non-scooped tone, I would expect you would have no issue being heard with a 1x12; especially if you are the only guitarist.

With any physical limitations moving weight, I would definitely lean toward a 1x12. The 2x12s are heavy and awkward to move. If there is a PA present, miking the 1x12 would likely be preferable to a 2x12.

~Icarus

Thanks for the reply's. so 1x12 slant is the way i think i will go. I don't scoop mids i run the mids high unlike most people. I am the only guitarist and i mic the cabinet our PA is 3000W total so i can always rely a little more on the monitor. Thanks again for the help.

seanseanhd said:
Thanks for the reply's. so 1x12 slant is the way i think i will go. I don't scoop mids i run the mids high unlike most people. I am the only guitarist and i mic the cabinet our PA is 3000W total so i can always rely a little more on the monitor. Thanks again for the help.

The 1x12 slant cab is excellent and you can drive the PA at the same via the CabClone interface.

I ordered the rectifier 1x12 slant yesterday. will give review once i receive it. Thanks for all the help and opinions.

received the 1x12 Slant a few weeks ago. this thing has a surprising amount of thump. haven't taken it to rehearsal yet but defiantly a perfect match to the Mark V 25 head.

Update. I have used the 1x12 slant with the Mark V 25 on two outdoor shows and it faired very well. While i do miss the bottom end of the 4x12 it gets the job done and set up and tear down is a breeze. Also used the built in cab clone and sandman loved it. Seemed to work great.

I was having trouble hearing myself too with my mark V 25 with a theile cab on the floor, wasn't a great speaker in it though, a marshall celestion wolverine. I got a mini rec slant and made a mini stack out of it and it cut through way better. V30's are high sensitivity so they are pretty loud. I have since put an Eminence Legend EM 12 in the bottom thiele cab, also a high sensitivity rating and now I have a nice balance of low end thump and cutting mids with the mini rec slant. I also use a Fryette power station, which gives me 50 watts of 6L6 power, which is helpful in my 2 guitar and loud drummer band. I have been using the mark IV channel mostly, but the xtreme is good too if you need more volume.

Latest posts

Back