mark V 25 at band rehersal with downtuned stoner rock band

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tat2pooch

Reaction score
I have always wanted a mark amp, used a marshall jubilee 25 50 with 4x12 for years w a thrash metal band, my secret weapon, a graphic eq pedal before the amp for mid boost and chunk. I always loved the idea of getting Hetfields mark 2c+ tone...I recently decided to get a mark head, once I saw the mark v 25, I was intrigued. I was impressed by youtube videos and the high gain tones I was hearing, so I found a dealer and checked one out, once I kicked in the geq I was sold! So awesome at home, low volumes sound amazing and seemed loud as hell through my marshall 4x12. Concerning ohms, I was disappointed that mesa does not have a 16 ohm tap...but whatever it still sounds great but I decided to get a used empty theile from George GTS, had him put wicker to match my purple w wicker head. I was stoked that he had a purple theile, just seemed like it was made for me!!! Thanks man! Anyway, I put a celestion wolverine in it and it sounds great, nice low mid w some breakup and the low end is nice in the theile. I brought it to rehersal with my band, my other guitarist was using a peavy 2x12 open back, my drummer is loud as hell, and my bassist is in the mix. I had trouble cutting through on the crunch channel w the theile on the floor, so raised it abd ut helped a bit. That mark v 25 is very noisy, sounds like a windstorm, so that sucked...marshalls do not do that. Next jam I added a secind 1x12 and that helped a lot, but then I was picking up radio signals and had a serious squeal even when my volume was down on the guitar. Found out is was the treble being dimed that caused the squeal. My master volume was at 10:00, trying to be heard in this loud setting. I am not impressed by the amount if hiss and noise this thing has, for such an expensive amp it should not do this at 10:00. I cranked it to almost full and it started oscillating like a motor, is this normal??? Love it at low volume but not impressed at higher volumes. I just ordered a fryette power station 2, hoping this will help, also have a mini rectifier v30 slant on the way, w matching purple bronco and wicker. I will update as soon as I try this rig out at rehersal

My V:25 and the Mark V head are both very quiet. It wasn't clear to me from your post if you bought it new or used, but if it's the amp that's noisy it's probably tube related. I had a El84 go bad a couple weeks after I bought my V:25 new. Mesa took care of it pronto. Try swapping a few tubes around and see if the problem moves or changes.

Thanks Monstercastle, I will try that, seems less noisy here at home, no radio signals or squeal so maybe the power strip I was plugged into or something at the jam room is causing problems, still has a low frequency hiss if I turn it up here at home, I bought it brand new btw at a local dealer.

mine is really quite too,

I get some slight buzz when I plug some effect, but nothing major, to avoid any type of problem with current noises I've put an UPS before the amp to filter and stabilize, it work very well..

A.

Mine picks up radio signals at practice from time to time as well.

The power station will definately solve any volume issues you have. Can even add thunderous low end too (I have one but don't use it often)

Being a 25 watt amp, speaker efficiency is very important. My first band rehearsal I was using it with a 2x12 that had G12T-75's and I really struggled to hear myself.
I then switched to a cab with Vintage 30's and had to turn down.

Another important thing with lower wattage amps. If the speaker is pointed at the back of your legs, you're not going to hear it.

In a two guitar band, I tilt my 1x12 widebody (closed back with the front port) with the Vintage 30 back and stand between 5-10 feet away so it is almost pointing right back at my head. Volume is no problem whatsoever with that setup.

As far as the high pitched squeal, that will vary from amp to amp. This problem is actually talked about in the manual. It really just depends on the tolerance of your preamp tubes. I think at high volume and high gain settings, you have to be careful with the treble and gain together.

Some preamp tubes may allow more extreme settings then others, but I think if you have the amp cranked with the gain and treble WAY up, you will run into this issue.

Mine is not dead quiet on higher gain settings either, but it is not any louder then other hi gain amps I have had. Seems the normal amount of hiss. Though the radio station thing gets on my nerves.

With the power station, you can turn the speaker off on the Marv V25 with the cab clone feature, go from the effects send into the effects return of the power station and do the all 6L6 thing. And if you engage the Deep switch, wow the low end is MASSIVE.

I myself, once I figured out that using a V30 and tilting the cab back solved the volume issue, I don't use the power station with it.

In fact, with that setup in a two guitar band, I was able to use crunch in 10 watt mode and be heard easily.

Primal, thanks for your insight, it seems the power at our jam room is pretty dirty so I'll have to deal with that...I am seeing that the hiss is normal for boogies and do not think I have a tube issue...and the squeal also seems like a treble/gain issue, which is fine because I am now getting a better tone anyway with the treble at 2:00...I just got the mini rec slant with v 30 and it seems like it will cut through...more efficient speaker as you said:) Thanks so much for the tip on running my preamp into the effects loop on the power station, can't wait to try that out, did not know I had that option:)

Well now I got the mini recto slant w v30 and it gels nicely with the theile, really full low end and great mids that can cut through in a band situation, haven't jammed yet with the band though...Also got the powerstation 2...it provides that 6L6 low end and headroom for scooped mids with the geq. Tried it going out of the mark v 25 effects send into the line in of the power station and it is a bit fuller sounding but close to the other way, using the speaker out into the powerstation...so basically I have a mark V 50:)

My verdict is in, my band is loud as hell so keep that in mind:) I found that without the fryette power station the mark v 25 is maxed in headroom at 12:00 on the mark IV channel, thats all she's got cap'n! For this band it is not enough, but kick in the power station and set the mark v 25 master to 8:00 and the power station to 1:30 and it is pushing the mini recto slant and theile like a 4x12 would sound. I am also super stoked on the tones that the power station can deliver, I find at loud volume set it flat with just the bright switch kicked in and it cuts through nicely. And for low volume attenuated tones you can really crank the mark v 25 and get some power tube breakup for vintage tones. All in all I dig this rig and for portability it's easy on my back, but maybe one mark v combo would be easier but I don't like open back c90's, the 2x12 mini rec stack is more gear but easier to move around and it sounds like a 4x12.

Back