1st Lonestar gig video

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91ce24

Reaction score
Just started using the Lonestar head a few months ago and finally have my rig settled in for gigging. Did this one last weekend....a sampler video. I'm running with a GCX switcher for my intelliflex (lonestar loop), phase 90, Rt 66, and Boss Flanger; switching it all with a ground control (including channels and solo). In front are a Boss Tuner, Bad Horsie, and Boss DD pedal. Still getting things refined but I like it a lot so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEccEcJlFtE

Sounds great! You look like you're having a blast. Proof that you can pull off some high gain stuff with the Lonestar! Keep it up.

Thanks. It was a blast...my second show with these guys. Looking forward to our next one. Next time when we use our own PA, I'll be able to get a better idea of my live sound with better monitoring and taking a direct line off of the board for recording the show.

Ha..thats funny. Now I've gotta see the whole movie...I've never seen it. Our singer will get a kick out of that clip too.

zwish said:
Sounds great! Proof that you can pull off some high gain stuff with the Lonestar!
I couldn't agree more. Pulling off Eruption would probably shock some guys on those other boards. Ya know that snob board that hates mesa's, and complain about the dirt ch on the Lonestars. Thank You very much.

So...were you pushing the 2ch with the Rt 66?

Yeah, I've been pushing ch2 with the rt66 for leads and use it on ch1 for our bands version of some more funky tunes. Between my guitar's volume knob on ch2 and clean ch1, I've been figuring what works best for cleaning up the sound for certain tunes.

Its been over the past 6months or so that led me up to going with the Lonestar for my rig. I had actually tried it out about 3 years ago in a local music store but had no idea how to dial it in and left the store thinking it wasn't for me. I'd been playing a Marshall head and a JMP-1 preamp since that time then got turned on to Andy Timmons and saw that he was doing his live performances with the lonestar.

This is the first time that I've actually felt satisfied with my rig....more compact than a half stack and a tube amp with lots of versatility for tones. I keep a pod pro rack unit handy as a backup, just in case something happens; gotta have a plan B for gigs. Here is a photo of the rig behind me. For the gig before this, I propped it up on top of a marshall cab but it towered over me...kind of precariously! On the floor works good enough for me now.

14741_224676855638_208481525638_4682215_1467686_n.jpg

Sounded great! Your guitar playing was awesome.

I was about to ask where the Lonestar falls in the Mesa line as far as sound is concerned. I've had the Roadster, and tried out the Electradyne. From some of the comments, I take it that the Lonestar is not normally known for high gain applications, but seems to do nicely with pedals.

In any case, I appreciated the video.

David

eaglewolf said:
Sounded great! Your guitar playing was awesome.

I was about to ask where the Lonestar falls in the Mesa line as far as sound is concerned. I've had the Roadster, and tried out the Electradyne. From some of the comments, I take it that the Lonestar is not normally known for high gain applications, but seems to do nicely with pedals.

In any case, I appreciated the video.

David

Hi. Thanks. I can't speak about the other Mesas you mentioned but the Lonestar isn't really a super high gain amp....but it can still achieve a great amount of gain on its own. I think of the Lonestar as a really robust coffee....add a little cream or sugar here and there until you're happy with the overall flavor...or add a lot if you'd prefer. I took my initial cues from the Andy Timmon's video regarding pushing the amp with a pedal (in my case the route 66). I'd like to try the BB Preamp at some point. And the cleans are great as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiW22O914Cg

SyKrash said:
Love the tone, care to share your settings?

2nd channel drive on, drive around 3 oclock, Gain around 1, Bass was at about 8 oclock, treble 1, mid 11-12, presence 12, master 11 , 100Watt mode, non-tweed. I was using a Wolfgang Standard with the maple top and Floyd Rose licensed; standard 9 gauge ernie balls.

For some of the video I had the Visual Sound rt 66 on but with the gain turned completely down and volume up to give a little boost.

Since this gig, I've done a few more with good results. I like the compactness of it all. I've been swapping the rack gear/switcher between the Lonestar and a Marshall JMP-1 preamp/VHT poweramp setup for some occasions when I need less versatility but more straight ahead 80s hair band sound. For versatility, the Lonestar rig is my first choice though. :D

That amp sounds fantastic along with your playing.I wouldn't mind trying a head/cabinet setup myself.

Thanks. I really like the head/2x12 cab configuration....easy to load/unload into my car. But, no casters on the cab so if I need to walk a distance, its a little harder than the 4x12 with casters. Eventually, it would be nice to have an ATA case for the 2x12 with casters.

Latest posts

Back