Multi-Effects Unit vs Pedal Switcher

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintballnsk

Reaction score
I gotta say, after all the screwing around I've done to try to get out of the stage tap-dance, from pedal boards to multi-effects, I wish I went with the switcher route sooner.

I wasn't gigging much before I decided to finally buy this. And before this I found it such a pain in the ***, I set the delay in the effects loop and only hit the overdrive when switching from clean to high gain. That was still one step too many. Then I realized it would be sweet to throw a chorus in there and also be able to turn the tubescreamer on and off all in one step.

This is what I have put together:

RJM RG16 - $650
Roland GFC-30 - $200
Ibanez TS808 Reissue - $120
TC Electronics Nova Delay - $200
MXR 10 KFK EQ - $120
MXR EVH Phase 90 - $65
Digitech Hardwire Chorus - $130
Boss NS2 - $50
MXR Dynacomp $40 (sucks and I'm getting rid of it)
Cables $60

Comes to about $1600

This lets you customize your effects rig any way you want. The RG16 not only bypasses or engages each pedal as you want it, but it will route the ones to the front of the amp you want in the front, and the ones to the effects loop you want in the effects loop. And it all saves by simply holding a button down. From then on it's all one step from the GFC-30 (or you could get a ground control pro if that's your thing).

So I have a few main settings I use.

Roadster Channel 1 with reverb and fx loop: Guitar -> Chorus -> Input -> Send -> Delay -> Return -> Cab
Roadster Channel 2 with reverb and fx loop: Guitar -> Phaser -> TS -> Noise Gate -> Input -> Send -> EQ -> Return -> Cab
Roadster Channel 3 with reverb and fx loop: Guitar -> TS -> Noise Gate -> Input -> Send -> Delay -> EQ -> Return -> Cab
Roadster Channel 4 with reverb and fx loop: Guitar -> Chorus -> TS -> Noise Gate -> Input -> Send -> EQ -> Return -> Cab
Roadster Channel 4 with reverb and fx loop: Guitar -> TS -> Noise Gate -> Input -> Send -> EQ -> Return -> Cab
Roadster Tuner Mute
etc..
etc..

Possibilities are nearly endless. If I get sick of my chorus, I trade it for a different one, or any other pedal for that.

Is anyone out there an avid multi-effects user that's not big into pedals or vice versa?

My problem with multi-effects is that they don't have a lot of amp switching options. The RG16 is similar to a GCX except you don't use the loops to switch the amp, there's an 8 pin output for that that controls all the same options that the roadster footswitch controls (except with one programmable stomp from the midi foot controller). The other option for the price would be to A/B two amps, but even then you're still limited to some tap dancing.

paintballnsk said:
I gotta say, after all the screwing around I've done to try to get out of the stage tap-dance, from pedal boards to multi-effects, I wish I went with the switcher route sooner.

I wasn't gigging much before I decided to finally buy this. And before this I found it such a pain in the ***, I set the delay in the effects loop and only hit the overdrive when switching from clean to high gain. That was still one step too many. Then I realized it would be sweet to throw a chorus in there and also be able to turn the tubescreamer on and off all in one step.

RJM RG16 - $650
Roland GFC-30 - $200
MXR 10 KFK EQ - $120
MXR EVH Phase 90 - $65
Boss NS2 - $50
Cables $60

Comes to about $1600

This lets you customize your effects rig any way you want. The RG16 not only bypasses or engages each pedal as you want it, but it will route the ones to the front of the amp you want in the front, and the ones to the effects loop you want in the effects loop. And it all saves by simply holding a button down. From then on it's all one step from the GFC-30 (or you could get a ground control pro if that's your thing).

Roadster Channel 1 with reverb and fx loop: Guitar -> Chorus -> Input -> Send -> Delay -> Return -> Cab
Roadster Channel 2 with reverb and fx loop: Guitar -> Phaser -> TS -> Noise Gate -> Input -> Send -> EQ -> Return -> Cab
Roadster Channel 3 with reverb and fx loop: Guitar -> TS -> Noise Gate -> Input -> Send -> Delay -> EQ -> Return -> Cab
Roadster Channel 4 with reverb and fx loop: Guitar -> Chorus -> TS -> Noise Gate -> Input -> Send -> EQ -> Return -> Cab
Roadster Channel 4 with reverb and fx loop: Guitar -> TS -> Noise Gate -> Input -> Send -> EQ -> Return -> Cab
Roadster Tuner Mute
etc..
etc..

Possibilities are nearly endless. If I get sick of my chorus, I trade it for a different one, or any other pedal for that.

Is anyone out there an avid multi-effects user that's not big into pedals or vice versa?

My problem with multi-effects is that they don't have a lot of amp switching options. The RG16 is similar to a GCX except you don't use the loops to switch the amp, there's an 8 pin output for that that controls all the same options that the roadster footswitch controls (except with one programmable stomp from the midi foot controller). The other option for the price would be to A/B two amps, but even then you're still limited to some tap dancing.

looks like you found a good alternative with the rjm stuff. i'm waiting till more stuff comes out and is available. might be another month or so. but yeah, i've been basically on the same track trying to get a rack setup going with a mark v and a bunch of boss, mxr, tc stuff. when you're all wired up, you shold post your rig on the post-you-rig type threads.

paintballnsk said:

RJM RG16 - $650
Roland GFC-30 - $200
MXR 10 KFK EQ - $120
MXR EVH Phase 90 - $65
Boss NS2 - $50
Cables $60

Comes to about $1600

Roadster Tuner Mute
etc..
etc..

Cool!!!! The RJM products are nice. My setup is similar, with a few differences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdHwhMzJbeo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zGmkYZ-Vng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJfKjEhkyco&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PguTT59aQI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxISv-qed5I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9Wb8WE380I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNYkCtikoqY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fndfq5hTYGo

2009029-1.jpg

gearpics004-1.jpg

ZachRack005-1.jpg

SeparateWaysloadin032resized.jpg