Would you trade a stiletto deuce for a Mark III grn strp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XMeTaL1287

Reaction score
Okay so I've been wanting to get my hands on a Mark IV or V for a little while now. I currently own a stiletto deuce stage 1 with the fluid drive mod which is a tasty amp but i've actually heard and played with the mark IV and V and love the metalish tones they get. I've never touched a Mark III before and have been told they're similar to a IV.

A guy on my local craigslist is interested in trading his Mark III Green Stripe for my stiletto. I've done a little research and was wanting some input on whether anyone thinks it's a good or a bad trade. I dabble in both lead and rhythm playing and I absolutely love the tone of the Mark IV and V. I am definitely going to try the Mark III out before doing the trade but I was hoping you guys on here would give me some insight as to the tone and the feature differences between the Mark III vs. the IV and V. Mainly just the tone, my concern is that I want to dial in a similar tone to the ones i've dialed in with the V and I'm wondering if that can be acheived or not with the III.

Also i'm very curious as to what the "Ground" Switch between "A" and "B" does on the back of the Mark III amp(may be a stupid question but I've only ever owned a 3ch dual rec and my stiletto deuce, very new to the Mark stuff)

Anyways guys please let me know your thoughts on the trade and any helpful or relevant info I should know about concerning the III would be helpful. Thanks!

The ground switch on the back of the III is to keep the hum or buzz out from the AC current going to the amp. MB recommends to keep it in the OFF position. If you still have buzz, switch to either position that gets rid of it.

I dont have any experience with the IV or the V. What I do know about them is they have seperate EQ controls for each channel where as the III, they are all shared but can be balanced somewhat to make all 3 channels usable.

I can say right now that the III is a VERY angry amp and from what others say the III has a more organic tone and more gain on tap than the IV. The IV as some would describe it would feel "lifeless" or "brittle" sounding compared to the III. Again, Ive never played a IV so I dont know first hand. As for the tone differences, they are all Mark series so the tones one would think are all very similiar.

I have a pretty good feeling that you will walk away with the III.

Try these settings out on the III when you plug into it. That pic has the Lead channel AND R2 on at the same time but play with it. Youll see that when they are both on at the same time, it is thick distortion. Awesome if you ask me. Think "Shortest Straw".

front.jpg

can you tell me the tube configuration? like ive read that you can have 4 6l6 or 4 el34 or mix the two 2 of each. like what is the stock tube config including the preamp tubes

XMeTaL1287 said:
can you tell me the tube configuration? like ive read that you can have 4 6l6 or 4 el34 or mix the two 2 of each. like what is the stock tube config including the preamp tubes

The tubes depend on whether or not the amp is Simul-Class

Simul-Class can accommodate 4-6L6's or 2-6L6's in the two inner sockets with EL34's in the outer sockets.

The non Simul-Class versions run 4-6L6's

You cannot run 4-EL34's in either version.

I own a purple stripe Mark III and used to own a trident I w/ fluid drive mod. Ill say the mark doesnt do any of the things the stiletto does. And vice versa. If the mark tone is what youre after then its a no brainer. go for it.

While I really like my Mark III, I really really miss my trident. The stiletto was probably the best amp ive ever owned although somewhat limited. Its a little more versatile than the mark - but not by much.

I have both and they are very different beasts. If I switch my Simul-III to el-34's only, I can get 'kinda close' in channel two.

XMeTaL1287 said:

It was already mentioned about the power tubes but my mark III had stock Mesa tubes. Pretty sure they are Ruby tubes although Im no expert on identifying them. I replaced some of em with NOS RFTs and it turned it into godly distortion. Thick, Heavy chunk. Best amp Ive ever owned.

Depends on what kind of music you be playin and if the M3 has the graphic eq. I would go for it because I like Mark series, and I play a lot of TOP FORTY and I can cover a lot of ground with the clean, R2, and a BB Preamp. In my other band I just use the lead channel and volume on the guitar. I think the Stiletto is a great amp, but I never bonded with it like I did with my dirty old M3. Try them side by side.

tonal differences aside, you might try to get a little $ in addition to the m3 for you deuce. the m3 is 85 watts & the deuce is a full 100 it think. Also, the m3 may be due for a re-cap, etc.

yeah I love me my green stripe but economically that isn't a good trade unless the greenie is in really nice shape and recently serviced or your stiletto is beat to ****.

If you like playing lead and you don't play clean much you will love the green stripe (the MKIII can do nice cleans, just not really with the same settings for anything else, lol)

Latest posts

Back