Which rating? - choosing new powervalves for my 50/50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey_truelove

Reaction score
One plus as well as a minus to me is the fixed bias of Mesa gear. I'm in the process of replacing the powervalves of my Fifty/Fifty and I had some Groove Tube valves in mind. As I'm to ask for a specific rating to go well with my Fifty/Fifty which rating should I go with (Mesa or GT rating)? I prefer to run my powervalves a bit cold.

Cheers!

Why not contact Doug and have him get you a set of tubes for a certain sound that you are looking for?

GT just relables other tubes and charges you more.

Greg

disassembled said:
Why not contact Doug and have him get you a set of tubes for a certain sound that you are looking for?

GT just relables other tubes and charges you more.

Greg
I'm affraid I'm not sure which Doug you're refering to. Please, tell me more.

More than that, mate, way more than that. Some valves are specifically designed by GT and each is meticulously tested before sale. If you want a Mesa Blue or White rating you're sure to buy GT 6s to get near, since Mesa has more or less abandoned these ratings.

GT is full of marketing hype and I honestly don't buy into it, but to each his own. Doug( from dougstubes.com) actually tests and matches the tubes he sells as well as recommends tubes for YOUR specific situation.

The ratings that GT and Mesa give their tubes are very bland which leave a lot to be desired. Someone like bob at eurotubes.com or doug at dougstubes.com would be able toget a better match for your particular equipment and situation.

In defense of GT they do test their tubes which is a nice service but I don;t like paying double for the same tube. Bob and doug provide this same service while adding a much more personal touch.

Either way you will get working tubes.

Greg

disassembled said:
GT is full of marketing hype and I honestly don't buy into it, but to each his own. Doug( from dougstubes.com) actually tests and matches the tubes he sells as well as recommends tubes for YOUR specific situation.

The ratings that GT and Mesa give their tubes are very bland which leave a lot to be desired. Someone like bob at eurotubes.com or doug at dougstubes.com would be able toget a better match for your particular equipment and situation.

In defense of GT they do test their tubes which is a nice service but I don;t like paying double for the same tube. Bob and doug provide this same service while adding a much more personal touch.

Either way you will get working tubes.

Greg
Thanx Greg. I will keep this in mind as I'm affraid I went with GT this time around. It has been hard to find some reasonable answer regarding what rating to go with before Myles S Rose at Blueprint and at GT suggested I'd go with GT 6s. I will definately give the EH 6L6 a try as that valve is said, like the GT 6L6 CHP, to sound RCA black plate. As for the 5881-ish valve that can take the 450V B+ I guess I'm stuck with GTs.

joey_truelove said:
One plus as well as a minus to me is the fixed bias of Mesa gear. I'm in the process of replacing the powervalves of my Fifty/Fifty and I had some Groove Tube valves in mind. As I'm to ask for a specific rating to go well with my Fifty/Fifty which rating should I go with (Mesa or GT rating)? I prefer to run my powervalves a bit cold.

Cheers!

Just for future reference, I tesed my 50/50 which was stock from Mesa. WIth a ver hot set of SED 6l6 tubes, I was only drawing 19 mA This is very cold. So basically, the 50/50 as with almsot every mesa amp is set so cold that you'll likely never run it too hot.

Also, tonally, I think the SED is a very sweet sounding tube and quality is consistent with them.

I agree with disassembled, I don't for a minute buy the hype that comes from GT. When I retube both my 50/50 & my Mk IV, I call Bob Pletka at Eurotubes.com, and get some great JJ tubes for a much better price then GT or Boogie.
http://www.eurotubes.com/

Though Bob at Eurotubes may know his stuff too I am more inclined to follow Myles only because you can go get GT's nearly anywhere tubes are sold. Sure you can go get JJ's too at some shops but they are not always graded or screened. GT is just more convenient. Then again, I live in So Cal where I can get just about anything I want with a short drive. If you are relying upon ordering it is just a matter of taste. Then go with someone that has a rep: Myles, Doug, Bob, etc.

Greg, though others may test their tubes too GT has a good history with their screening process. I know that they can be bland if you don't buy into SAG tubes but then again you get what you pay for. That is a properly screened tube that has been rated. Using this rating you can tailor your amp. Like I said for me GT is convenient because of the numerous retailers here in So Cal. I would rather pay a few extra $ and have it in hand immediately even with a short drive than have to wait up to a week. Besides, GT offers just about any tube currently manyfactured screened and selected. Just my $.02

Latest posts

Back