Which extension cab to go with a combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleeced

Reaction score
Hi i've recently got a Mark v Combo (heads weren't available at the time here in the UK ) ... but want to run it with another cab for gigging ...

I have a Marshall 4x12 that i used to use with my Dual rec .... but don't want the combo sitting on top of that ... at least not if I'm using the speaker in the combo as it would be at ear height ... and whilst I like things loud, I don't want it literally blowing my ears out !!

Thinking of a 1x12 - Is the Thiele the same width as the combo? (they would have matching C90's) - But will the V fit on top of the Thiele?

or should I think of something elese like a recto 1x12 with a V30?

GD_NC said:
There is a new "widebody" Thiele available to match the Mark V combos.

isn't only technically a thiele if it has ports and closed-back? or is thiele a general term for "compact" cabinets?

I've used my combo with a thiele (12L-loaded) and a marshall 1960B with 12Ls and eminence VS12s.

The combo is actually louder than the 4x12 when they're used together, so I usually sit the combo next to the cab and use only the 4x12. (Our PA equipment goes on top of my 4x12.)

When I run the combo and the thiele together I sit the thiele on the port side and put the combo in a tiltback stand.

I don't know if that new widebody ported cab is technically a thiele. I haven't seen one in person and haven't seen detailed pictures. But it is closed back, front ported. As to whether they took a particular speaker and designed the cab around that like the older thieles or if they ported it by ear, I do not know for sure. My Mesa rep at work did tell me that it wasn't technically a thiele. Whatever works. I will probably buy one of the widebody cabs soon.

mejoshee said:
GD_NC said:

isn't only technically a thiele if it has ports and closed-back? or is thiele a general term for "compact" cabinets?
Thiele is not a generic term for a compact cabinet. A "Thiele" speaker cabinet is sealed and ported, and is built in accordance with Thiele-Small parameters to maximize the projection of bass frequencies of a given speaker. (Thiele and Small were involved in acoustic research.) These are the specs for an EVM 12-L: http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Builders Plans/TL806 Builders Plans.pdf

As you can see, Mesa's new wide-body cabinet is ported quite differently that a true Thiele cabinet, but that does not mean it won't sound good. I suppose the Thiele cabinet specs for every brand of speaker would be slightly different based on the frequency response of the speaker.

dodger916 said:
mejoshee said:
GD_NC said:

Thiele is not a generic term for a compact cabinet. A "Thiele" speaker cabinet is sealed and ported, and is built in accordance with Thiele-Small parameters to maximize the projection of bass frequencies of a given speaker. (Thiele and Small were involved in acoustic research.) These are the specs for an EVM 12-L: http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Builders Plans/TL806 Builders Plans.pdf

As you can see, Mesa's new wide-body cabinet is ported quite differently that a true Thiele cabinet, but that does not mean it won't sound good. I suppose the Thiele cabinet specs for every brand of speaker would be slightly different based on the frequency response of the speaker.

I have the new Wide Body Ported Mesa 1x12 with my 1x12 V Combo...and have to say that it sounds amazing, really amazing. Best sounding Mesa Cab (in a 1x12 format), I've heard. It sounds very similar to the Bogner Shiva ported 1x12 closed back cab.

Sweetwater calls it a Thiele. and its priced slightly more than the compact one. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ThieleCabW112/

btw, on the mesa site, it's not listed, right? cause the widebody 1x12 i linked to earlier was in the compact section, but was neither labelled "thiele" nor was it closed back, as shown in the pics. that's the older one, right? am i missing something about the new widebody thiele?

mejoshee said:
btw, on the mesa site, it's not listed, right? cause the widebody 1x12 i linked to earlier was in the compact section, but was neither labelled "thiele" nor was it closed back, as shown in the pics. that's the older one, right? am i missing something about the new widebody thiele?

Yes, you are missing something: http://store.mesahollywood.com/0-txcbb-w.html

The new Mesa cab is a widebody, closed-back, front ported. It's may not be a "Thiele" cab but who cares if it sounds good.

GD_NC said:
The new Mesa cab is a widebody, closed-back, front ported. It's may not be a "Thiele" cab but who cares if it sounds good.

I care if it sounds good :lol:

phyrexia said:
I've used my combo with a thiele (12L-loaded) and a marshall 1960B with 12Ls and eminence VS12s.

The combo is actually louder than the 4x12 when they're used together, so I usually sit the combo next to the cab and use only the 4x12. (Our PA equipment goes on top of my 4x12.)

When I run the combo and the thiele together I sit the thiele on the port side and put the combo in a tiltback stand.

I don't know if that new widebody ported cab is technically a thiele. I haven't seen one in person and haven't seen detailed pictures. But it is closed back, front ported. As to whether they took a particular speaker and designed the cab around that like the older thieles or if they ported it by ear, I do not know for sure. My Mesa rep at work did tell me that it wasn't technically a thiele. Whatever works. I will probably buy one of the widebody cabs soon.

That's exactly what I'm doing at the moment - the combo sits next to the 4x12 - using only the 4x12 (as the combo is louder). I've gone for a compact amp that now means I'm taking up more room as I bring the 4x12 as well!!

Also I'm not in love with the sound of the open back combo at stage volumes ... don't know exactly why ... it's just a little too unfocussed and sounds louder on stage than it projects out front. The combo sounds great at lower (ish) volumes though.

Looking for something that sounds good with the V - and that looks like it was meant to go with it. Anyone tried the V though a 2x12 Recto Cab? Would I be back to sitting the Combo next to it - or would it look OK on top (just powering the 2x12) ... decisions decisions. No one seems to have the new Thiele (or the "not a Thiele) in stock here in the UK to try.

I admit I removed the drivers from my 4x12, loaded my "oldthiele" with a 12L and I'm using that setup now. The combo goes in an ampstand angled up slightly, and the thiele goes port-side down next to it. If I go wet/dry/wet I'll get another thiele and put it on the other side :)

phyrexia said:
I admit I removed the drivers from my 4x12, loaded my "oldthiele" with a 12L and I'm using that setup now. The combo goes in an ampstand angled up slightly, and the thiele goes port-side down next to it. If I go wet/dry/wet I'll get another thiele and put it on the other side :)

howzit sound??? :eek:

Back