What made you decide to buy a mesa boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My quest for tone had alot of stops that were less than happy, but once I tried a Boogie I was hooked, and I can't stop buying them! tt

Incantation--Sempiternal Pandemonium...and later on....Cannibal Corpse---Death Walking Terror.

So I finally saved up and bought a TRI-RECTO.

went amp shopping for a former band mate in a earlier band at Sam ASH and discovered the Roadking 1 1/2 stack. My buddy Jim bought it and joined my band.

The band didn't work out and he lived in a small apt so he asked for 3000.00 and like an idiot I had to have it.

This is my third half stack...I had a Marshall Jcm 900 (kept the cab) then a Rivera K-55 head... then the RK and then I traded two riveras for another triple rectifier.

Im the luckiest........boy in the world!

Metallica, Incubus, Dream Theater, Alter Bridge (creed), Chevelle, etc to name a few

I've always liked the big boom and gain from rectifier since i was 9 years old :D

And I finally i got myself and single recto yesterday!!!

Petrucci's Lead sound.

Mesa gets so much credit from performers and endorsers.

My first experience with Mesa/Boogie was the Rectifier model in Guitar Rig 2. I never really cared for the modeling in Guitar Rig 2, but I especially hated the Recto emulation. So for a long time, I avoided the Recto, before I reallly knew much of anything about amplifiers. A couple years down the road I'd come to learn that Hetfeild and Petrucci used Mesa/Boogie and decided that maybe it'd be worth checking out. I saw all the knobs on the RKII and was drawn like a moth to the flame, and when I heard the awesome aggressiveness of a ROV 1x12 combo with an extension 3/4 back 1x12, I was sold.

Hetfield and Hammett
Mark Tremonti
Chad Kroeger
Wes Borland
Tony Rombola and Sully Erna
Head and Munky

My 1st post. 8)

I liked the Rectifier Model in my zenTera that much, I had to own the real thing. So I bought the Road King. Very sadisfied I wanted MORE, so sold it an bougt the Road King 2 and a Roadster (for home use). :wink:

rk2-4.jpg

When I can afford my next amp (this is more like "Why are you going to spend all that money on a Mesa?"), it will without a doubt be the Mark IV. I watched the segment of the 2005 Moder Drummer Festival that featured Chris Adler, and his brother Willie on guitar. I nearly pee'd myself when I heard the chainsaw tone he was getting out of it. I have yet to hear another amp make that sound.

What an appropriate first post :)

My first knowledge of Mesa was in high school when I was watching "Cliff 'Em All" and saw on the far right side of the stage Kirk had a boogie stack. A few months later my dad was looking for a new amp and bought the DC-3. Wow. That little thing sounded better than any other amp we had ever played through. I brought it to my band practice and it blew away a Marshall half stack. The Marshall was cranked and the dc-3 was on 2 ;) But it was missing something. I needed more balls in the low end... more weight. I knew then the rectifier was for me.

My dad then bought a mark iv soon after the dc-3. It was nice but he wouldn't let me touch the knobs :( so i couldn't see if it had all the sounds I was looking for. Guitar Center wasn't carrying them at the time and the only guitar shop in the area that had Mesa/Boogies wouldn't let me crank it up to really hear the amp.

I saved for 3 months straight and bought my dual rectifier half stack on ebay and got a heck of a deal.

I found a Mesa/Boogie shirt online and bought it when i bought my amp.. I'm wearing that shirt in 90% of the pictures I'm in :D

30% of the decision had to be John Petrucci´s tone all throughout his career and the fact that he´s been a loyal customer for almost 20 years now! (We all know he gets calls from other brands offering tons of money to use their amps). Also, I have to say Andy Timmons. But the other 70% is I went to GC and tried everything (Peavey 5150, JSX, about 4 top of the line Marshalls, EVH, and so on) tried not to think brands, just sounds in the amp room... closed my eyes and let my ears do the rest... had to go with the Roadster ! AHH !!!

I tried mesa boogie about 8 years ago and for some reason I hated it. I was a bit younger and used to artificial floor board processors so I was new to tube sound.

Later on I was turned onto marshall stuff like the jmp-1 preamp.

Recently out of desperation I was at guitar center looking for something to better my tone. I had sold all of my stuff years ago and just recently started jamming again.

I plugged into a triple rectifier against my own will, I was encouraged to try it by a guy I know that works at the GC.

I almost fell out of my chair. Right then and there I knew I wanted that head. Thats what made me buy a mesa rig.

Honestly I never even knew all those people used mesa boogie.

I remember an interview that said Wes Borland used an Ibanez distortion pedal for his tone.

I never really paid attention to creed's tone.

I never knew metallica used mesa boogie.

I never knew any of the people that you guys say use mesa gear actually used mesa gear. hahah!

Later I found out that a band Im really into uses mesa stuff.

I only wish I had known all of this earlier. hahah!

I remember looking at a Mesa ad for the (at the time) new Dual Rectifier in Guitar World back in '93, and thinking that it looked baddass, and I would own one someday.

Fast forward 7 years, and I'd forgot all about Mesa, since there is only one shop around here that carries them, and I had never been there. I bought a Crate Blue Voodoo half stack, that didn't suit me very well. My buddy suggested getting a Triple Recto, since all the bands that I like used Mesa. I ended up buying a 3 channel Triple, couldn't get it to sound like what I wanted, so I sold it, bought a 2 channel Dual, and haven't looked back.

Nothing else gets me close to the tone that I want.

mikey383 said:
I remember looking at a Mesa ad for the (at the time) new Dual Rectifier in Guitar World back in '93, and thinking that it looked baddass, and I would own one someday.

Fast forward 7 years, and I'd forgot all about Mesa, since there is only one shop around here that carries them, and I had never been there. I bought a Crate Blue Voodoo half stack, that didn't suit me very well. My buddy suggested getting a Triple Recto, since all the bands that I like used Mesa. I ended up buying a 3 channel Triple, couldn't get it to sound like what I wanted, so I sold it, bought a 2 channel Dual, and haven't looked back.

Nothing else gets me close to the tone that I want.

Ahh the blue voodoo. That was my first full stack. The blue tolex blue voodoo rig. I had to run a floor preamp thru it because it wasnt ballsy enough. I remember those days. Hahaha!

I've never had the pleasure of playing thru a dual channel I dont think. Unless thats what I tried 7 or 8 years ago when I first saw a mesa rig. I didnt like it at all. This three channel I've got now is just awesome for me. I love it. I guess everyones ears are a bit different eh?

My band used this rehearsal room with a Marshall on one side and a Triple Rec on the other. I used the Marshall the first few times we jammed there, just because the bass rig was on the Boogie side of the room. After about 2 or 3 practices our bass player suggested I plug in to the Boogie. It was life changing. That was 2 years ago and I haven't used anything but a Triple Rec/ 3 ch since.

Latest posts

Back