what is it about mesa amps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purpledc

Reaction score
Im trying to figure out what it is that sets mesa apart from other amps. Ive owned quite a few amps in the last 5 years including but not limited to carvin V3, V3m, Legacy II, x100b, Peavey 6534+, xxx, jsx, Krank Revolution, krankenstein etc..... the list could go on and on. But there is something about the mark V. Its above and beyond all of these amps. There is something I cant quite put my finger on. It can be absolutely brutal, and also it possesses the ability to have some of the most inspiring cleans Ive ever heard. But I think what I like the most about it is its ability to crunch up. Its got a sense of urgency to it and an attack that is very distorted but with the attack and precision of playing in a clean channel. It truly is quite remarkable.

Take for instance the last amp I was using before the mark V. It was the carvin V3. I simply couldnt dial in a crisp attack without having to much treble and fizz. And even with the most aggressive settings when I would play a power cord it would sound like a single note. Almost synth like. Absolutely no attack or crunch at all. The mesa its like when you hit a power cord every single note can be heard with authority but its got this crunch to it that is god like. Its like I was able to plug into a bag of Krunchers potato chips. Ive owned one other mesa in the past and it was a three channel dual rec from when the three channels first came out. And I dont remember it being anywhere near as gratifying as this mark amp. All in all Im just really glad I found what I believe to be the ultimate amp. Ive had amps that claim to be versatile. But most of the time they just had a lot of switches that yes changed the tone but usually not for the better and not anything you couldnt have done with the existing tone knobs. Or they just made the amp sound awful. The mark V just really delivers on the promise of many amps in one. Many times I find myself getting bored and selling my amp to try another. With the mark V I feel I will always be able to discover that next amp within it. In other words (ive said this before but now I truly feel it) I think Ive finally found a keeper. Even if I were to find another "must have" amp I dont think I would be able to part with my mark. I even bought a mesa hat. I usually never buy swag from a company. But this time Im just too **** proud of it not too.

I hear ya. I tried a Carvin V3M. Everyone on the Carvin site was saying how great it was. I thought if it was a killer amp I would sell my V. When I A/B'd them, it wasn't even close. The Mark totally blew it away. Like you said there is total definition and color when playing power chords. The difference between the two was huge, a different league. I sent the V3M back with a renewed appreciation for my amp. I'm keeping mine!

Nice post! I think Mesa has achieved a well balanced product. This includes the build quality, design, tone, looks, and one thing that really sets them apart is the stellar customer service that most of us has experienced. Granted, amplifier choice is all about preference to one's ears, consider the other factors though, Mesa does have a supreme product offering for guitar amplifiers. Don't forget the 5-year transferable warranty on their amplifiers. All those tangible and intangible factors all come into play when a person purchases a Mesa amplifier.

Reason #1: Reliability. I've never had a Mesa product malfunction or break down on me, ever. Not once. And while I'm not a professional musician, I've played hundreds of live shows, logged hundreds of hours of studio time, and thousands of hours of solo and band practice over the last two decades. I carry extra tubes and fuses just because, but I've never needed them.

Reason #2: Sound. This one is more subjective, obviously, but Mark Series Mesas are the sound I hear in my head. Sadly it took me a lot of amp flipping to realize it, with quite a few Mesa as well as non-Mesa amps in between, but once I figured it out, I've been in a happy place ever since.

I totally hear you on the amp flipping part. I dont know why I ever got rid of my dual rectifier but I know it didnt sound nearly as good as my mark. Today was yet another amazing day with my fairly fresh mark V. I also own a line 6 m9 and m5 modellers. I have used them with my carvin amp that I sold and my 6534+ (also sold) and while they sounded ok, they didnt wow me. I use the m5 as a noise gate only and I hadnt even plugged in my m9 to the mark yet. But today I got the urge just to see how the effects loop was on this amp. See, me and effects loops are normally bitter enemies. They hate me and i hate them. Occasionally they will deliver passable results but usually it ends with me getting so frustrated that I just unplug the effects and play dry. Not today. I plugged that thing into my mark V and just kept the effects loop level halfway and started messing with the unit and the mark V actually make my effects unit sound better. It truly is amazing. You would think an effects loop is and effects loop and that they would all be the same. Not in this case. It was almost as if the effects loop is so good its like having the effects on board. As if the amp knows how to seamlessly integrate the unit into the signal path. Im just head over heels for this amp. Im not saying the mark V is a better amp that anything else out there. I havent tried every amp there is to try. Im not even saying its a better amp than my carvin was. Im just simply thrilled that I found an amp that works for me. I admit its not an amp for everyone. It takes a certain type of weird thought process to navigate the mark V. Luckily thats just how my brain works. Some people have a marshall brain, some have an axe fx type way of thinking. Me, my brain has a 5 band eq and 9 amazing modes, lol.

I've owned several amps in my life - but none have ever compared with the Mark IV.

Recently I had to do without my Mark (in for overhaul) and go back to my old Red Knob Fender Twin and a bunch of pedals. I used that rig for 15 years. At the time I thought it was the cats ***. Not only was I disappointed with it - so was the band. THEY missed my amp!

What it is about the Boogies:

Articulate - you play a note: Its there. You play it badly - It won't hide or forgive you. Its makes you play better.

Tonal range - In a room alone these amps are really in your face. Even harsh if not set up right. But in a stage or live mix: wow they fit exactly where they belong in the music. They cut through and have definition and meat. Nothing lost or fizzed over.

Versatile: The 3 channels work perfectly. Clean/crunch/bleed. Covers most modern music from the 50's to now. I got rid of ALL of my off amp processors long long ago and never miss them.

Reliable: Never had any problem other than ones that I caused (snapped off knobs).

We recently had to try out a bunch of new guitar players. A lot of these guys show up with a boatload of gear; pedals/digital processors/multi-amp setups even - and me and my lonely Mark IV made them ALL sound lame and weak. Some of these guys were amazed at the sounds I can get with just the guitar/amp setup.

My wife will be selling my Mark IV after I depart this world. Until then......its MINE!!

Latest posts

Back