What is a boost pedal for?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Magic Hoof

Reaction score
This is probably a rather stupid question, but I honestly don't know what a boost pedal does. I was reading on the forum here and people are saying that putting a boost pedal in front of your chain when playing leads really helps it shine. How do boost pedals work, what's the benefit, etc?

A boost pedal takes the guitar's signal and increases the output strength. This makes the signal hit the amp's preamp tubes that much harder, resulting in more preamp gain and saturation which can also result in an increased sustain, so that's why guys will recommend it for leads. Because the signal is already fairly hot coming from the boost, the preamp tubes don't have to add as much gain themselves to get a distorted tone. This allows the preamp tubes to remain well within their range of useable gain so that you can avoid the mud that starts to happen when you crank the amp's gain control up to similar levels when you're using just the amp alone.

IMO, a boost is better as an overall increase in saturation for high-gain rock/metal, with an additional overdrive and/or treble boost pedal that can be switched on for leads. That is also, btw, how most pro studios do it when recording very high-gain Mesa sounds these days. Very few engineers will record just a dry guitar through the amp and rely exclusively on a Recto to provide all the gain without getting muddy.

In short they boost the signal coming from your guitar going to the amp. On old "vintage amps" say non master volume, it creates distortion at lower volumes, on new amps say a boogie, it will tighten up the amp by sending a larger signal into the preamp and compressing the signal more. It can also be used for soloing boosts.. say you have an amp with a distortion channel, and have it set all nice to mix with the band, the boost will bump you up a little in volume to be heard better for the solo.

but it doesnt necessarily have to be a "boost" pedal, any distortion/fuzz/overdrive is a boost, some just add more gain to the signal

Perfect answers :D

I'll be a studio-only musician, so recording is definitely my thing. One thing I've noticed when recording my Quad+50/50 is that no matter what, there is still 'mud' that comes with it. I've always loved the sound I get when playing at really low volumes with ANY amp, and I remember saying to myself, "I wish it sounded like that when recorded", because when I crank the amp up to get a proper volume for recording, the muddiness and flubbiness comes with it and it takes away from the 'pro' sound.

The answer about how they do it in pro studios is actually the answer I was looking for, so double thanks for that. I have a question though: in studios, when recording Boogies, do they just use these little pedals that I see around? You know, the ones the size of BOSS pedals, or is it some kind of expensive rack gear that they use as a boost?

As a side note, I've always heard that you want your signal chain to be as short as possible. This would mean taking out all of the unecessary rack gear and pedals in front of your guitar (because the longer it is, the more tone you sacrifice). I'm taking it that using a boost pedal is absolutely necessary in this case, correct?

Lastly, I'm looking for a sweet recorded sound of a my 50/50+Quad pre, so maybe getting a boost should be a priority, eh?

Believe it or not, it can just as often be the the pedal version, albeit usually a higher-end boutique booster of some kind. Boutique pedals can often have electronics that are equal to or superior to rack units these days, not to mention that analog effects generally are more pleasing than their digital counterparts.

As to it being absolutely necessary, no. Then again, it doesn't have to be. For instance, it's not absolutely necessary to record using high-end amps, either, but people do it because they like that sound. Everything in a studio is run through at least minimal global noisegating anyway, so an effect doesn't have to be completely dead silent to be useable, especially with distorted guitar tracks.

Also, if you're having serious mud issues, a boost may not be the answer. You might have better luck with an overdrive instead, specifically one of the many variations of the Tube Screamer, since they tend to cut your bass a little. That will tighten up the bottom end and provide even more initial gain than a boost pedal does.

I really like using an OD pedal as a boost. I've noticed, at least for me, it really smoothes out and tightens the distortion tones. And with all the added compression, you get sustain for days. Something to keep in mind, if you start getting the muddiness, you could use a pedal switcher of somekind, which puts each pedal in a loop of it's own, so when you're not using it, it's completely out of the signal chain. Also the use of a buffer could really help too if you're using alot of pedals, or long cables.

It looks like I'm in the market for a boost pedal 8)

I'm not sure what to get yet though. I'll do a little research and see what my options are and what would suit me best. Just in case, let me post my setup here:

Jem77BRMR>Quad>50/50>SM57>FMR RNP>Interface>Cubase

I guess putting a simple boost pedal in front of the Quad would help. I forgot to mention that the flubby bass isn't THAT much of a problem, but it's there a bit. Something else is that I'm dying for a compressor with my rig, because when I let a power chord ring out with my Quad+50/50, it loses its power within 2 seconds, so some more sustain would be nice. I guess a boost will help with that like you said, right? (Strategy)

When I use my OD pedals for boosts, I always add some distortion too, so I'm not sure if just adding a level adjustment would give you the added compression/sustain. I've never used a dedicated "boost" pedal either, so I can't say for sure how that differentiates from using an OD up front.

I'm using an AC+ as my boost going into a fairly clean amp, I like it better than using the amp's distortion. I added a Barber Tone Press compressor for the sustain/smooth factor and it works great. Doesn't mess with your tone like other compressors - you get the same tone that just hangs out there longer.

I ldove using an EQ pedal (Boss GE-7 in my case) to boost solo parts. I want to get a second boost to dial in my tone and a second one for leads.

I've got a Keeley Katana and it's an excellent pedal. Well worth investigating.

Simon

I've done some thinking on this and I'm about to shell out for a boost. Probably either a Tube Screamer or a Boss DS-1. however I'm not sure if a boost is even what I'd need. Hear me out here.

I'm very satisfied with the tone I'm getting from my Quad, but I need more sustain, and I'm talking for both leads and metal rhythm. It'd be nice to kick my tones up a notch and have that added sustain and just to tighten it up all around. I'm reading that boosts are usually for just leads, but I was thinking it'd apply to a high gain rhythm as well. If a boost could not only help leads (which I'm sure it will) but help tighten up my rhythm as well, I'd definitely be satisfied. When I play power chord and let the notes ring out, it dies on me after a couple seconds.

It's either going to be between the Boss DS-1 to start with, or some variation of a Tube Screamer (there are a ton of them and I don't know which one to get!)

I would probably stay away from using a DS-1 as a boost unless it's a modded one. The stock DS-1's aren't so hot.

For what you are saying, I think you should get a tubescreamer type pedal. You can use it as a boost all the time. That will tighten up the amp and give you more sustain. A lot of guys use an overdrive in front of their amp and they leave it on all the time for high gain rhythm sounds.

Then for leads just use an EQ to make your sound stand out in the mix.

Using an overdrive as a boost is not just for leads.

TheMagicHoof,

The Boss DS-1 is not a boost nor an overdrive. It's a distortion pedal. The stock pedal will be nearly unuseable as a boost. As with all distortion pedals, it is meant for situations in which the pedal itself is the only or primary source of distortion in your sound. They aren't meant to work with an already distorted amp.

Boss also has a pedal called the SD-1, which is an overdrive and is very popular for that purpose. It is also known for being very easy to modify so that it can sound like other well-known boutique overdrives. Like the DS-1, it is relatively inexpensive. However, it is specifically designed to work with an already distorted tube amplifier. It's based loosely on the sound of the Tubescreamer, but the stock version isn't of the same quality as an actual Tubescreamer TS-808 model. It can, however, be modified to exactly replicate the 808's circuitry, either by a professional or even by yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron and know what you're doing. Several kits for that modification and others are available as well.

You may find that using an a Tubescreamer style overdrive pedal (TS808/TS9, Maxon OD-808, BOSS SD-1, etc.) may help you get exactly what you're looking for. I used to rely entirely upon my amp for my distortion. Recently, I've pulled the gain on the amp way back and used an SD-1, dialed in so the pedal itself is just starting to break up, and I get a nice, thick, tight tone with plenty of sustain. For the price, the SD-1 is a great bargain.

Hey guys, sorry but it was a typo :lol: I meant SD-1 and not DS-1. I just googled it and i'm talking about the overdrive pedal, and not the orange one as below:

top_M.jpg

I mean this puppy:

top_M.jpg

Thanks for the informative replies and help, it looks like I'll be placing an order for a boost fairly soon. I'm still not sure if I should get the Boss SD-1 or the tubescreamer, and if the tubescreamer, which version.

Decisions decisions :mrgreen:

A decent store should have many types of boosts pedals in stock and allow you to try/demo them to see which one works best for you. You may find that that the SD-1 is a bit edgier than the TS9 or TS808.

The SD-1 is cheaper than Tubescreamers if that makes a difference. If you are good with a soldering iron or know someone who is getting a used SD-1 and modding it will be the cheapest route. I had a stock TS-9 tubescreamer that I liked but I had a modded SD-1 that sounded better.

i have found that the best booster is a boost pedal. i use a sho clone. I have a tubescreamer clone and it colors your tone. The best bet imho is too try a booster cuz thats what will give you the effect you want without adding gain or a tone control

Latest posts

Back