what effect does body wood have on tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

18&Life

Reaction score
tonewood is BS.
solid guitars woods have nothing to do with tone,pups catch the strings vibrations,not the strings vibrations amplified by the wood just like on ACOUSTIC guitars.

You don't really believe that do you? The body wood has everything to do with tone, as much as pups do. It can have a huge effect on attack , sustain, and frequency response from the interaction of the wood resonating with the strings, pickups only produce what the strings are doing in a 2D format (Time/Frequency) while the wood can cancel out Frequencys or enhance them, the pickup will output this responce. Not verry technical but I'm hung over sorry.

18&Life said:
tonewood is BS.
solid guitars woods have nothing to do with tone,pups catch the strings vibrations,not the strings vibrations amplified by the wood just like on ACOUSTIC guitars.

Are you kidding me?

The wood is everything. To the original poster, I would not recommend making a guitar out of all maple. Despite the fact that some basses are made out of all maple (Warwick Streamer Stage 1, for example), it is not used on giutars with good reason. You would have an insanely bright sound and it would be almost ice-picky. It works on a bass because the low frequencies cancel out those uber bright highs.

That was a very good breakdown of the effects of wood on guitar tone. The one thing I will disagree with, for two reasons is its only 10-15% of the tone and the pickups are 85-90%.

reason one is where do your numbers come from, they sound like you pulled them out of the air.

reason 2 is I have personally purchased and installed over 100 pickups into my guitars over the last 20 years and as they do all have a very different sound, not all of them made the guitars sound better. The Good sounds coming from a guitar are from the construction, materials and then electronics. You can not make a poorly constructed guitar sound good with different pickups, and you can only enhance the already apparent tone of a guitare with electronics. Pickups and electronics take the string vibration(this includes the force acted upon the strings from the wood resonance) and accentuate or de-accentuate certain aspects of the original tone.

You can not make a Strat sound like a Les Paul and vis versa purely becuss of the construction and materials used.

Elpelotero said:
18&Life said:
tonewood is BS.

Are you kidding me?

The wood is everything. .
Only on acoustic guitars.Do you know there are plastic guitars like that jem ?
where's the wood wich is everything to you ?
That jem sounds like plastic ?
use your brains.
In solid guitars you can't hear the wood.Take off pups and try to play without them.

I have 3 different guitars with different woods,same evolution pup,they are sound the same through my rig.Spectrum analyzer doesn't lie to me,same frequencies with different woods.

Myths and lies give more money to luthiers.Some of them actually believe in what they say.Because their parents told them,so they are just spreading lies and myths but receiving more money for their job .

Tonewod is BS created by companies to sell overpriced crap woods .

hey guitarmaster we are saying the same thing but people love believing in myths and lies. :wink:

O piss off, You want to show me wher you got them numbers from.

You pulled them out of the air.

Context is also something to keep in mind. We where not specifically talking about Active vrs. Passive or solid bodied vrs. acoustic.

Active pickups are no different than Passive pickups in the regard of the effects of resonance from the body of a guitar.

On a side note I love the sound of "Carbon Fiber Instruments".

Ok, Percentages are numbers. And when your talking about things, talk about what you know and not make stuff up.

Pablo1234 wrote:

You can not make a Strat sound like a Les Paul and vis versa purely becuss of the construction and materials used.

Sorry but it's a nonsense.

A strat and a lespaul with evos through the same rig will sound the same.That's no doubt about it.
I have a les paul and an esp both with evos and completely different woods.Through my rig they sound the same.
Myths and lies ,forget about them and open your mind.

I think BS is a great answer for the ones who have nothing to say.
I'm sharing my experiences,I'm not asking anybody to agree.
I'm just answering the thread. :D

hummm I see,that pablo is a waste of time :cry:

Sorry "guitarmaster" didn't look at your name before. Now I know you know what your talking about.

By the way, next time you copy someone else's work at least reference their material and not plagiarize them. I really did think that was a great breakdown of tone wood descriptions. Then I realized I had read the same exact thing before somewhere else.

I will give this guy uber credit for all that knowledge http://www.sankey.ws/guitars/woods.html

Also I was not propagating a flame war, just disagreeing with your "Hypothetical Percentages" Strings have as much to do with your tone as body material or pickups do.

The combination of different gage stings combined with different woods will greatly change their effect on your over all tone due to the strings requiring more force to move, this will impart more resonance on the body which will impart more resonance from the combination. This is also applicable to string mass and pickups, the thicker the strings are the more magnetic material for the pickup magnetic flux to follow.

And as for asking someones opinion on what combination of pickups to try out with a specific guitar and wiring schema, if asking for opinions on something with a thousand combinations and them some. Please forgive my ignorance, I didn't realize that you think everyone has had 1000 guitars and has changed 10000 pickup configurations and so should not want someone else's opinions on such trite things.

Now it is you that are propagating a flame war and I would direct you to read the article you had posted earlier for me to read and read it yourself.

Pablo1234 said:
I will give this guy uber credit for all that knowledge http://www.sankey.ws/guitars/woods.html

Ok, what do you want to demonstrate ? A simply "article " with wood characteristics .................

All the credits about only this article to Mr Michael Sankey that has written an article about The Woods he uses for Making Guitars..........................

this article is only a guide to woods...........................

Latest posts

Back